classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
428 messages Options
1 ... 19202122
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The latest ORDA Screwup

D.B. Cooper
I was told that the WF mountain hosts are no longer able to ski in their orange jackets "unless they have a reason to."  I've seen them numerous times helping people down the hill, redirecting away from with accidents, etc.

They said it was because of the risk of them getting injured.  Seems like a goofy call to me.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

SnowBound
D.B. Cooper wrote
I was told that the WF mountain hosts are no longer able to ski in their orange jackets "unless they have a reason to."  I've seen them numerous times helping people down the hill, redirecting away from with accidents, etc.

They said it was because of the risk of them getting injured.  Seems like a goofy call to me.
There are about 100 different reasons of "unless they have a reason to" is why that they should put on the Host Jacket and get out there on skis.  Deflecting a rogue skier colliding with ski patrol getting a child into a sled is the best one.  And yes, this happened last Tuesday night (not at WF).
Reply | Threaded
|

Bandit
There’s a definite lack of ambassadors at Belleayre this year. Now that I think about it I don’t know if I’ve seen any at all so I wonder if they still have them.

Have only been to WF one weekend so far. Wasn’t looking but don’t remember seeing any orange jackets.

When we were at winter park a few weeks back there were employees holding big “i” signs saying ask me for information everywhere. Village in multiple places, bottom of gondola, top of gondola, etc.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
 They are going in that direction at whiteface but they use  the orange jackets now in the lot to direct traffic...  Have to turn over most of the crew... They changed the game and it calls for a different personality.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Splain Ricky?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
tjf1967 wrote
They are going in that direction at whiteface but they use  the orange jackets now in the lot to direct traffic...  Have to turn over most of the crew... They changed the game and it calls for a different personality.
Harvey wrote
Splain Ricky?
At the end of last season, 13 of 54 hosts decided not to return for this season, plus, the program director. Based on prior years, that was a big number. They weren't able to fill all 13 of those spots for this season, and quite a few of the new people that came in, have already quit. From what I've heard, I think a similar number will probably leave at the end of this season.

ORDA is trying really hard to reduce the number of workers comp injury claims. They seem to believe that taking hosts off the hill, or limiting the terrain they can ski while in their host jackets, is one way to do that.

Most of the hosts I know didn't become hosts to be parking lot attendants, they truly want to help people on the hill.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
If ORDA wants to reduce workers comp claims they should look at snow making operations. I’m hearing rumors that there were several OSHA violations in that accident earlier this year.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
In reply to this post by Face4Me
Safety Cindy is behind this as well as the "know the zone' promotion. Ironic that she got taken out by a NYSEFer at WF back around Christmas...guess he didn't know the zone
Gotta go to know
1 ... 19202122