The latest ORDA brightspot

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
64 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The latest ORDA brightspot

SIAWOL
Thinking that if we had a thread to capture all the Orda "bright spots" might help us recognize and share some of the reasons we still choose to ski here. Plenty of chances to whine on that other thread. This one is for the moments that actually make our day. As others have said, there are good people working at our hills. And "surprises" can be found if we stop long enough to accept that it's not all doom and gloom.

Sunday afternoon--top of gondi @ Gore. Lift op was watching a guest (with rental skis...) struggling to click in. He walked over, got down on one knee, reset the heel piece, and then proceeded to use a small welding hammer to knock off the caked up snow on the boot. That was awesome!

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The latest ORDA brightspot

MC2 5678F589
I do that all the time at Platty, so much that it's just a routine.

Maybe we should have a higher standard for customer service?

When I started going to a lot of different mountains, I felt like I had Stockholm Syndrome. I was constantly surprised at things that are routine at other mountains, but neglected or never done at ORDA places (mountains can make snow on more than 2 trails at a time?!? It is possible to prepare for a rain event & get through it cleanly without it completely wrecking everything?!?!). It certainly opened my eyes.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by SIAWOL
SIAWOL wrote
Thinking that if we had a thread to capture all the Orda "bright spots" might help us recognize and share some of the reasons we still choose to ski here. Plenty of chances to whine on that other thread. This one is for the moments that actually make our day. As others have said, there are good people working at our hills. And "surprises" can be found if we stop long enough to accept that it's not all doom and gloom.

Sunday afternoon--top of gondi @ Gore. Lift op was watching a guest (with rental skis...) struggling to click in. He walked over, got down on one knee, reset the heel piece, and then proceeded to use a small welding hammer to knock off the caked up snow on the boot. That was awesome!
MC2 5678F589 wrote
I do that all the time at Platty, so much that it's just a routine.

Maybe we should have a higher standard for customer service?

When I started going to a lot of different mountains, I felt like I had Stockholm Syndrome. I was constantly surprised at things that are routine at other mountains, but neglected or never done at ORDA places (mountains can make snow on more than 2 trails at a time?!? It is possible to prepare for a rain event & get through it cleanly without it completely wrecking everything?!?!). It certainly opened my eyes.
Nice try SIAWOL.  I applaud your effort.  But trying to emphasize positive stuff on social media these days is like trying to stop up a river of sewage with a few used tampons.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I like the idea. Let's limit this thread to the positive.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Okay, sorry, you guys are right.

Huge Tele event at Gore this weekend. Demos, a Tele race (if you've never seen one, you should) and tele fun for everyone. Kudos to Gore for finally figuring out how to get the Fey brothers  (telemarkdown.com) to bring their Demo equipment out.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
WF opened the summit lift around 12 yesterday
They could have pulled plug on summit for the day
Skyward was quite fun though the visibility was very low
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Z wrote
Yup and Cloudspin was very nice as well
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

GoreMountainLodge
NYSEF kiddos showed up for the restaurant race and posted amazing times in the course, competing with and beating most of the adults at Gore today.  Conditions firm but carvable under a bluebird sky!

Mark Parobeck, principal
GoreMountainLodge.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Darkside Shaman wrote
Z wrote
You skied WF? Blasphemous!
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Johnnyonthespot wrote
Darkside Shaman wrote
Z wrote
Sunday Funday
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
There are a lot of things I like about Gore and Whiteface.  Perhaps my favorite is from my last trip to Gore - a Spring day in 2017 (?) I skied powder, crud, slush, and ice on the same day.  One of the great things about Gore is that it has so many aspects that you probably can find the skiing you are looking for somewhere on the mountain on a given day.  Maybe not powder so often : )

Whiteface is majestic.  The conditions were not good over Christmas, so I get where the snowmaking criticism is coming from.  And I literally fell victim to the wet snow that is being blown.  

Apparently while some will say I have a 'screw loose' for going to Belle, I will be eternally thankful for the ski school teaching my son then as a six-year old to ski everything there with confidence over one really reasonable season program.  All good.

We ski a lot less as a family this year because my 5 yo daughter isn't quite feeling it, but at all of the ORDA locales, I feel the more chilled out vibe that you don't get any many locations.  I freely admit that Platty has the coolest vibe of any mountain I have skied, except for maybe Stowe 15-20 years ago when mgmt reopened the mountain after Easter as a thank you to the locals following a really good year.  One of my first days skiing - I was on the old school straight wooden skis because I was too cheap to rent the new shaped skis.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Johnnyonthespot wrote

Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
In reply to this post by DomB
  Belle Saturday totally beat my expectations after the two day rain event last week . Coming out of PA my standards for skiing are probably way lower than you Northerners.  Hoping for a cold snowy Feb.
   Gondi at Belle  has really thinned out the East side this season . Got there late 930 am  parking lots loaded , no lines at Super chief all day.
   After years in PA skiing finding any ungroomed trail  is a treat .  Over grooming of trail systems  surely has slowed skier progression. Bell blew  mostly all day on two ungroomed trails Sat. I am a skier not hard to please ,I take what I can get  when I can.
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Great stuff Gunny!  And good intel on the effect of the Gondy.  What lot did you park in at 9:30 - bottom or mid?  Last year I was always early because my little guy was in the seasonal program so not much choice.

We are going up this weekend so was wondering about later parking as I won't be going gang busters.  

Best,
D
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Johnnyonthespot wrote
Thought he was strictly a Gore guy.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Johnnyonthespot wrote
Thought he was strictly a Gore guy.
You have a pass to both mountains, ski them both.

In the good news department, it seems like the LWF chair is running normally.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
In reply to this post by DomB
I  always  park in upper lot, it was filled  but they still  let me park by maintenance  garage.
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Gore still has a web cam
Gore's web cam is working
It is snowing at Gore
Reply | Threaded
|

Carv-R
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gunny J
Gore, a week ago
Gore positives - an even dozen:
1. Last year's revisions to the Saddle Lodge are impressive, aesthetically as well as functionally.
Over double the space, so even on weekends it wasn't crowded.  (and... the toilets no longer take your breath away like some WW2 latrine.)
2.  Centerplate food is a bargain compared to most resorts. Although none would be confused with Europe, their soups 'n salads are tasty.  And like most of the staff at Gore, their staff is friendly and helpful.
3. Great variety of slopes, trails and glades.
4. Short or non-existent lift lines most days.
5. E-Z Parking and usually quick shuttle bus service. (tips accepted and usually justified)
6. Generally speaking, the grooming seems to be improving as the weeks pass. (maybe some new hires are learning their jobs?)
7. Always seem to be plenty of blue-jacketed instructors around.
8. Like many resorts, "shore is a purty view" from the top.
9. Relatively easy access from Northeastern population centers.
10. Relatively inexpensive season passes, especially for seniors.
11. The newly revised warming building at the top of the Straight Brook lift is convenient. (Now if the coffee & hot chocolate machine would just work, we'd be all set)
12. The base lodge lounge expansion is nice, although I tend to celebrate down the road at Beck's or Basil & Wicks (more interesting menus and beverages)
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Each year they put on a good aerials event.  Good turnout, especially with reasonable weather.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.