classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
152 messages Options
1 ... 5678
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The old new Greek Peak?

Rj1972
Yes, Camp, I agree that the Kryger's had their share of questionable financial challenges over the years. In fact, one item that struck us as rather interesting is that they assembled over 200 LLC's. We were looking over this last year, and couldn't make much sense out of all of it. Our financial consultant was even scratching his head.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
For instance, if they got the place cheap because of the bankruptcy, then they likely have more wiggle room.
They bought the resort for $7.5 million.  ($2 million of that went to pay back taxes of the prior owners.)  They got the ski hill plus the Hope Lake Lodge, which cost $32 million to build. [All according to Syracuse newspaper.]

Presumably they bought the place with a combo of equity and debt.  So they likely have some debt service, plus cost of operations, plus a list of capital improvements they need/want to make.  For the cap improvements already made, they probably borrowed funds for those as well.  

Wiggle room is all about cash flow.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

parris
given what the new pass will cost I think Kennyw has a VERY good point in having more than 3 lifts spin during the week.  If I were the only skier in my family I would look toward other options with the bump in price and ESPECIALLY the short window.  If the 15 day window is missed the purchase price isn't $100.00 over this years pass it's at least $150.00.  I could be very wrong but I think it's going to be a pretty tough stretch for families to swing the short window and as things progress some may decide to go the coupon book route or just head North despite the fact that they may want to ski at gp.
Reply | Threaded
|

David
I"m the original poster. I took it down after a few other people commented, and I realized it was unfair to criticize management and ownership publicly. I just had my base layer in a bunch because my favorite trail looked real nice but was closed. Harvey is right: Be civil, be fair, or be gone.

The big one-year leap aside, the season price pass doesn't seem unreasonable compared to other nearby hills. One could say Song Mountain isn't comparable because it's substantially closer to Syracuse: More demand. But its terrain is far less in quality and quantity than GP's, so it evens out, one could argue. Potato, potahtoe.

But I don't plan to get a season pass. The old price, a bargain, was barely affordable for me. The new price has crossed the unaffordable threshold. I just don't think I'd get $400 of fun out of a pass. It's not a knock on Greek Peak at all -- they do the best they can -- but I just don't enjoy it that much. I like it when the snow is good, and that is rare in the Northeast. Even before a thaw -refreeze like the current one, even natural snow quickly gets packed down and hard. Plus, I've skied the trails there hundreds of times and after a while the thrill is gone. I've come to enjoy cross country and earn-your-turns downhill substantially more. When I'm out there it often feels like forced fun. "This is ok" is about as good as it gets. It lasts about a minute then you're on the lift again. If I took $400 I could get more fun with a paddleboard, kayak, better bike, you name it, not to mention a couple of trips to bigger mountains. Quality over quantity, you know.

I'll probably go a few times buying a lift ticket when the conditions are good and I can spend all day, or I'll go evenings. If I could skin up and ski down a couple times, that would be about perfect. Two, three runs is usually enough for me and all I really have time for anyway.

The people in charge out there are doing a good job, I think. The new glade is good when there's enough snow. The new lift certainly beats what it replaced. (Just fix the lights, though!) I wish them well and admire everyone out there for putting up the good fight for this part of the state. It needs more optimism.

Skiing has never been for the average working person, but it seems more and more it's really just for the fairly well-off or the at-all-costs hard core. Good for them. There's nothing wrong with that. But that's not me anymore.
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
The OLD - BAIT and SWITCH!!!!
AD states clearly "FREE SKIING FOR THE REST OF THIS SEASON with the purchase of a 2014/2015 season pass
(then down below is the restriction - Passes are good this season after March 17. Which is a Monday)
Reply | Threaded
|

kenneywallace
I've seen some chairlift usgs surveys, and the usgs survey of virgil mountian and graidley creek,

Max elevation on virgil mt is 2150' valley elvation is 1350', chair 4 misses the top by 150,

S hill has a peak of 2030' base of 1355, chair one hits. The summit

Chair 5 tops out on  high ridge of above 1800'

Can't actuly see a 950' drop anywhere unless they expand chair 4
Black diamonds, the easy way down, less moving hazzards
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by Big D
Big D - Greek Peak can't help it if people interpret words like "the rest of the season" and "high speed quad" differently than they do.

How dare you criticize. Go sit in the corner and think about what you've done.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Look at that terrain in the pic of the happy high speed quad passengers, looks awesome, I'm gonna buy me one of those GP season passes.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
not uncommon, but a little shifty just the same
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
Most mountains have higher prices the closer you get to the season but Ive never seen a price that goes up every month.  Is that normal at greek?  It may work out the same as other increases at other mtns just never seen that.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by Cornhead
Cornhead wrote
Look at that terrain in the pic of the happy high speed quad passengers, looks awesome, I'm gonna buy me one of those GP season passes.
That's actually a time-lapse picture of the quad.
Reply | Threaded
|

kenneywallace
March 13 around1-3 the owners will be holding a lunchin and presentation about the 5 year resort plan, space is limited, lunch is bufet style, rsvp needed... cost 20 $ to attend

Assuming their will be a big press release then aswell,

Would have liked to seen it sooner, as maybe I would have commited, but defently a steep in the right way to solve this pr nightmare they created
Black diamonds, the easy way down, less moving hazzards
1 ... 5678