Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The old new Greek Peak?

Harvey
Administrator
campgottagopee wrote
Family pricing is the issue...
What is this "family pricing" of which you speak?  

You guys are killin me.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

kenneywallace
In reply to this post by Face4Me
Face4Me wrote
pro2860 wrote
kenneywallace wrote
Skking compaired to bowling? Last time I checked you shouldn't ski drunk, but need to be drunk to bowl good, leage also pays back about1/4to1\2 of what u put in in ski funds,

26 $ a day also is a expinsive bowling trip,
Kenny, do you wear a helmet?
Only when I don't fall :D

Driving back from syracuse today can't help but notice how close song is to being bigger
then greek, 5 miles up the road, 1200 foot drop to onidoga creek, loads of steeps, someone mess up building the area ....

Hourse shoes and hand gernades I guess lol
Black diamonds, the easy way down, less moving hazzards
Reply | Threaded
|

Chatiemac
Kenny,   When the snow melts (gasp) we should all go bowling.  You sound like a blast of a good time.  What beer do you drink?
Ski the East
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Chatiemac wrote
Kenny,   When the snow melts (gasp) we should all go bowling.  You sound like a blast of a good time.  What beer do you drink?
I'm down with that!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Family pricing is the issue...
What is this "family pricing" of which you speak?  

You guys are killin me.
Poor choice of words by me (imagine that) --- should've said multiple pass buyers
Reply | Threaded
|

kenneywallace
Labatts or mixed drinks, ya defently

Anyone else ever notice from 81 that valley that song overlooks but don't touch, the particular hill I'm intrested in drops 1200-1300 feet, after rt 20 crosses 11a

Would be quite the ski are if it couldq happened

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Marc sent me this note via iPhone and asked me to post:

Harvey, I have been listening and I want Greek Peaks skiers to know:

We are listening to our customers and have invested 5.1 million so far on changes to the hill and will continue to reinvest all of our profits towards hillside improvements.

I want a detachable quad in 5 years to open the new terrain on the backside.  I want the new pumps (this year) to lay down the most manmade snow when the temps are right.  

We love our new 1/4 pipe and terrain park. The new deck coming, Peak Fest, Mountain biking are all to enhance the enjoyment of our customers year around.

In the past improvements were rare, and management gave the product away.

We want to continue growth and expansion, year after year, until this mountain is the premier resort it can be.  We are not a conglomerate or rich guys, we are skiers that enjoying the improvements.

Realize we are invested in you the customer and will work hard to ensure your loyalty.

We believe we can make the mountain the best it can be and will continue to work towards that with every available dollar.  

I'm proud of what we are doing and am always accessible by email:

mstemerman@greekpeakmtnresort.com

Marc Stemerman
Greek Peak
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Harvey wrote
....5.1 million so far on changes to the hill and will continue to reinvest all of our profits towards hillside improvements.

That's impressive. If " reinvest all our profits " is an honest statement then it's very impressive and Greek geeks are very lucky. Woo Hoo !

The pass increase doesn't look bad at all now. In fact, it's money very well spent.

Thanks Greek Peak !!!

Camp will be so happy he'll probably spare the life of some varmit.
Reply | Threaded
|

kenneywallace
Ok but 1/2 pipe? Is it a invisable one?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
kenneywallace wrote
Ok but 1/2 pipe? Is it a invisable one?
My bad.  1/4 pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

ehine1
Sounds very exciting the plans for the years to come. Being someone who used to snowboard at Greek Peak frequently and has since moved back to the area for a job after graduating from college, I think I picked a good time! Looking forward to buying my girlfriend and myself season passes for the coming year (this weekend, actually). Sounds great!

Btw, first post, how's it going?
Reply | Threaded
|

Chatiemac
Welcome to the Woodstove & welcome back to Greek Peak
Ski the East
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by ehine1
I appreciate Marc's comments and look forward to the ongoing improvements. However, keep in mind that it's not as if the prior owners were living a lavish lifestyle by raping the profits from the company. They built the Lodge in hopes of raising the capital to invest in the mountain. Had the Tennessee Bank not been seizd by the FDIC, we would still have the fixed grip quad, just as we do now. This is in addition to making payments on the near $50M in construction loans the Kryger's and their partners continued to make up until the day the FDIC told them to file for Chapter 11.

It's easy for Marc and John to invest their profits in the place because they paid next to nothing for it, and therefore don't have the debt load the Kryger's et al did. I do applaud them for not taking a salary their first year, as that can only help with their investments.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Rj1972 wrote
I appreciate Marc's comments and look forward to the ongoing improvements. However, keep in mind that it's not as if the prior owners were living a lavish lifestyle by raping the profits from the company. They built the Lodge in hopes of raising the capital to invest in the mountain. Had the Tennessee Bank not been seizd by the FDIC, we would still have the fixed grip quad, just as we do now. This is in addition to making payments on the near $50M in construction loans the Kryger's and their partners continued to make up until the day the FDIC told them to file for Chapter 11.

It's easy for Marc and John to invest their profits in the place because they paid next to nothing for it, and therefore don't have the debt load the Kryger's et al did. I do applaud them for not taking a salary their first year, as that can only help with their investments.
GP did not go bankrupt because their lender failed. They went bankrupt because there is no way that place could ever service that level of debt load. That same lender had thousands of other loans that were taken over and funded by other financial institutions. Nobody would touch the GP debt because it clearly wasn't viable at that level.

While I appreciate John's response, I still don't know what the improvements that will directly improve the skiing experience NEXT year are. Or if there are any plans to change how the quad operates.

But if they really come through with all those changes he mentioned - detachable quad, really? - where do you think the pass price will be in 5 years? Mark it down now - five years from now the early pass price will be approaching $800. Maybe some of you will be cool with that, and thrilled at how your GP skiing experience has improved.

I'll take it one year at a time - but I know I'll be out way before it gets to $800. We'll probably buy in for next year -- after talking with the kids they still want passes rather than variety.

I still say that GP owners and mgmt should have put out the new pricing with some kind of statement - a value statement let's call it - that helped smooth some of  the friction of the big jump.

Spring skiing was great yesterday…and we kept getting visits to our tailgate by a cute little black lab from a few cars over. Was amazed how empty it was.

Reply | Threaded
|

kenneywallace
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Marc sent me this note via iPhone and asked me to post:

Harvey, I have been listening and I want Greek Peaks skiers to know:

We are listening to our customers and have invested 5.1 million so far on changes to the hill and will continue to reinvest all of our profits towards hillside improvements.

I want a detachable quad in 5 years to open the new terrain on the backside.  I want the new pumps (this year) to lay down the most manmade snow when the temps are right.  

We love our new 1/4 pipe and terrain park. The new deck coming, Peak Fest, Mountain biking are all to enhance the enjoyment of our customers year around.

In the past improvements were rare, and management gave the product away.

We want to continue growth and expansion, year after year, until this mountain is the premier resort it can be.  We are not a conglomerate or rich guys, we are skiers that enjoying the improvements.

Realize we are invested in you the customer and will work hard to ensure your loyalty.

We believe we can make the mountain the best it can be and will continue to work towards that with every available dollar.  

I'm proud of what we are doing and am always accessible by email:

mstemerman@greekpeakmtnresort.com

Marc Stemerman
Greek Peak
 Need a half pipe, and need to look at labs park for a better set up, its getting their though

Isn't the back side state forest and or leased by the power company?

So where are prices headed then? I understand the reason for a price jack, but will be wondering if I'm paying for skiing or the motel thingy

I'm gona have a wait and see apeoach, theirs 4 ski area, gonna play at the others and see if greek becomes worth the price
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by billyymc
Who are you? Its people like you that keep owners thoughts to themselves. Your thoughts don't mean shit cause you have done nothing. Your response is annoying.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
GP cheerleader checking in from WF....i applaud Marc for his responce, say what u want haters but we're heading in the right direction.

GP rocks !!!!!

Im going skiing now----3400 verticle skiing
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
Who are you? Its people like you that keep owners thoughts to themselves. Your thoughts don't mean shit cause you have done nothing. Your response is annoying.
Let's see. My thoughts don't mean shit (I think you actually meant the opposite...unless meaning shit is a good thing.), yet I have the influence over how, when, and what the owners of GP choose to communicate to their customers.

Is that an accurate interpretation of your comment?
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
billyymc wrote
Rj1972 wrote

GP did not go bankrupt because their lender failed. They went bankrupt because there is no way that place could ever service that level of debt load. That same lender had thousands of other loans that were taken over and funded by other financial institutions. Nobody would touch the GP debt because it clearly wasn't viable at that level.

While I appreciate John's response, I still don't know what the improvements that will directly improve the skiing experience NEXT year are. Or if there are any plans to change how the quad operates.

But if they really come through with all those changes he mentioned - detachable quad, really? - where do you think the pass price will be in 5 years? Mark it down now - five years from now the early pass price will be approaching $800. Maybe some of you will be cool with that, and thrilled at how your GP skiing experience has improved.

I'll take it one year at a time - but I know I'll be out way before it gets to $800. We'll probably buy in for next year -- after talking with the kids they still want passes rather than variety.

I still say that GP owners and mgmt should have put out the new pricing with some kind of statement - a value statement let's call it - that helped smooth some of  the friction of the big jump.

Spring skiing was great yesterday…and we kept getting visits to our tailgate by a cute little black lab from a few cars over. Was amazed how empty it was.
This is just getting ridiculous. We get it already ... you don't want to have to pay 33% more without knowing what you're going to get for it.

Let me help you out with some perspective.

Here's what you'll get for your $399. A mountain, that provides 952 vertical feet of skiing on 32 trails, 83% of which are covered by snowmaking, 8 lifts, grooming, lights for night skiing, a base lodge with full food service, and a season length of approximately 110 days. That comes down to approximately $4 per day.

In contrast, you could instead choose to ski at Big Tupper, where for $25 per day, you'll get 1151 vertical feet of skiing on 25 trails, of which only 8-10 will ever be skiable, with 0% snowmaking, 2 lifts, no night skiing, minimal, if any, grooming, basic food service and a season length of approximately 20 days.

That's what you're going to get.

Holy crap, I haven't seen someone beat something to death this bad since the Gore paid parking debacle.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Seems like Marc is saying, if you want a competitive product your going to have to pay a competitive price.  I think someone said Song and Togg are in the same basic range.

Would you prefer a slow ramp up of pricing and a delayed or slower improvement/maintenance schedule? Or going back a year, given the choice between Marc and John stepping in, or having the hill go the way it was headed, what would you choose?

Not trying to be an asshole. Just saying anyone who steps in to a situation like this is going to have a vision.  That's what it takes. If you were the guy stepping up to the plate, you'd have a vision and some of people wouldn't like it.

I wonder how gorgonzola or other property owners feel?  My guess is they want a the ski hill brought into the modern era.

What I see above is a pretty clear statement about the path forward. Competitive pricing and long needed maintenance and upgrades.

This is after all capitalism. The guys taking all the risks get to make the decisions. That's the way it works.
1 ... 345678