The problem with snow making.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
82 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The problem with snow making.

ml242
back on track, snowmaking can really be a problem.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
No - Tupper's not spinning.  That was the whole point.  It's closest to you and lots of other stuff is too if you have the right equipment.

You admit everyone was right when they talked about skiing out West.  Why would this be any different?
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
JTG4eva! wrote
I was afraid of that....make it your GF if you got one.  You can keep Rosy all to yourself....
Not so sure he has a girl friend but he is unusually chummy with SJ - just say'in
They are a little chummy... and they both have dogs in their avatar...NTTAWWT... but I think Camps true love is that stuffed coyote.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
PeeTex wrote
JTG4eva! wrote
I was afraid of that....make it your GF if you got one.  You can keep Rosy all to yourself....
Not so sure he has a girl friend but he is unusually chummy with SJ - just say'in

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by MikeK
MikeK wrote
PeeTex wrote
JTG4eva! wrote
They are a little chummy... and they both have dogs in their avatar...NTTAWWT... but I think Camps true love is that stuffed coyote.
YO, MammaMikey, pay attention.....this  is a bird, NOT a dog
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
campgottagopee wrote
MikeK wrote
PeeTex wrote
JTG4eva! wrote
YO, MammaMikey, pay attention.....this  is a bird, NOT a dog
Oh eff... I thought SJ was TJ...

Still... neither compare to that yote.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Why can't some of you accept that I only ski lift served, like 98% of the skiing population.  There are plenty of core skiers that only ski off a lift.

Admitting that some people were right in that natural snow is better than man-made out west is way different than doing what MikeK tells me to and giving up basically all the skiing that I currently do.  Why do any of you care how I ski?  I'm my own person and I choose where I ski  Flaming me won't change my preferences.  Because I'm not doing what I'm told by some internet users.  What does it matter to you if I want to ski Whiteface?  It's not like it'll harm you.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
snoloco wrote
Why can't some of you accept that I only ski lift served, like 98% of the skiing population.  There are plenty of core skiers that only ski off a lift.

Admitting that some people were right in that natural snow is better than man-made out west is way different than doing what MikeK tells me to and giving up basically all the skiing that I currently do.  Why do any of you care how I ski?  I'm my own person and I choose where I ski.  What does it matter to you if I want to ski Whiteface?
Never told you to give up lift served man...

I'm trying to think in your shoes because I'm way different, but also maybe get you to branch out a little bit.  From what I can gather of what you've said you sound like you are about as good an Alpine skier as I am, so I don't think you'd have much trouble skiing low angle stuff with light tele, and I'm sure you could ski most anything but the most gnarly stuff here with AT.  And by low angle, I don't mean that low.  If you ski off-piste a lot of times you need more pitch to even get going fast enough to make turns.  Sometimes not... fast corn or ice... even really mild stuff can be fun.

And is 98% of the skiing population skiing lift served?  If you think narrowly of dh skiers, maybe?  But 95% of dh skiers aren't obsessed with it and post on internet forums about it.  I'm thinking perhaps you are a little different.

I don't care what you do, honestly.  Just thought I might be able to convince you to take a chance while you are in a area that is going to be a hell of a lot better proximity to BC recreation than where you are now.  By BC recreation I mean stuff that isn't at a ski resort.  There are 3 million acres of public land in the Adirondacks.  That's a fuck ton.

Definitely ski WF, but why limit yourself?  Ski a few good days at WF, a few good days at Gore.  Get out and explore some other stuff.  Location, location, location.  3 hrs is a little long for a day trip (but I've done it plenty of times), but for a w/e, no problem.  Once you get a French Canadian GF then you'll have a place to stay
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
And hey, the other thing is no one ever told me about this stuff when I was your age.  The only thing I knew was resort skiing or xc skiing on groomed terrain with floppy shoes.

Now in the age of the internet you can't look on a forum without seeing Black Diamond and Dynafit.  AT is the rage.  It's not the only way, but it's one way.  Probably the easiest way.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote

Admitting that some people were right in that natural snow is better than man-made out west is way different than doing what MikeK tells me to and giving up basically all the skiing that I currently do.  Why do any of you care how I ski?  I'm my own person and I choose where I ski  Flaming me won't change my preferences.  Because I'm not doing what I'm told by some internet users.  What does it matter to you if I want to ski Whiteface?  It's not like it'll harm you.
This is kinda funny. You're continually posting the color of the shit you just took, but not expecting any comments when in  previous threads you'd be whining about no comments
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
MikeK wrote
I'm thinking perhaps you are a little different.

I don't care what you do, honestly.
+1+1!

Hey, Sno frequents a fairly tight knit ski blog, AZ we ain't!  He's expressed an affinity for all things skiing, which has to involve some love for the outdoors and the mountains.  Based on that I, too, thought he might be different than the 98%, most of which will never set foot in a blog like this.  Not giving up on you yet Sno, but starting to think Mike and I might be wrong, in which case I'd move on to don't care!

However, most people (and I'm starting to wonder if you fall into this boat) are here to not only share information and experiences of our own, but to actually benefit from other people's experiences and learn something.  Heck, maybe you are just here to hear yourself talk.  However, some of us have wasted a lot of years of skiing life figuring out the myriad different ways to enjoy quality time in the mountains, and learning that often the best of those times doesn't come off a lift.

Nobody told you to give up lift served, Sno....but if you really want I/we can stop falling our sage advice on deaf ears.

A shame for you really, for now, because the world is so much more interesting than a teenager can know, but you'll most like figure some of that out for yourself....someday.

We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
PeeTex wrote
raisingarizona wrote
I don't care if snoloco rides chairs and groomers for the rest of his life. He just doesn't need to shove his preferred experience down everyone else's throat.
He isn't shoving anything anywhere, don't read and don't respond, it's your choice

I would disagree. He turns every thread into his arguments about his beliefs in modernizing ski areas and the experience he desires.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
hmm jtg, i only get to the face for a few days each season but i always found some decent bumps, mostly in the places you mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
gorgonzola wrote
hmm jtg, i only get to the face for a few days each season but i always found some decent bumps, mostly in the places you mention.
Yeah, I'm not saying you won't find some, and sometimes they can be good, especially Empire, Lookout Below, and Lower Mac....but for a big mountain that is on the difficult side there aren't nearly enough moguls at WF, IMHO.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I like groomed steeps a lot, and Whiteface has plenty of those.  I think the place gets too icy for bumps most of the time.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I get why they groom as much as they do, and when you generally have one expert trail from the summit you can't leave it to get Stein's Run-like VW sized moguls because not everyone likes them, but as someone who loves skiing bumps I always wish there were more at WF.  Could they leave more than Lower Mac and Lookout Below (when open) as the only consistent bump runs elsewhere?  Sure, but I get why they don't.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
PeeTex wrote
raisingarizona wrote
I don't care if snoloco rides chairs and groomers for the rest of his life. He just doesn't need to shove his preferred experience down everyone else's throat.
He isn't shoving anything anywhere, don't read and don't respond, it's your choice

I would disagree. He turns every thread into his arguments about his beliefs in modernizing ski areas and the experience he desires.
It takes more than one person to create an argument. If you don't like what he has to say, don't read and certainly don't respond to it. By this time you should have learned that you are not going to change him and he is not going to change you. To try to influence this is just wasted effort.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
PeeTex wrote
It takes more than one person to create an argument.
It certainly does. Here is how it is done:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
SBR great research material.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
No it ISN'T!!!