Timberline WV Oct 2012: Matt and Pat's Roadtrip

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
102 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Timberline WV Oct 2012: Matt and Pat's Roadtrip

Cornhead
Beautiful, what an adventure! So glad some good came out of this nightmare of a storm. Fingers crossed we have some headed further North with this possible Noreaster. I just hope it doesn't hamper the recovery effort. Your trip definitely jump started everyone's stoke for the upcoming season. Thanks for posting.  
Reply | Threaded
|

TonyC
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
MadPat said it's the best skiing he's done in 16 months.
Sadly, that's mostly a statement about the past 16 months. I might disagree about June/July, when I was with MadPat at Bachelor, Crystal and Mt. Rainier Sunrise.

This is great thread....taking advantage of all the tools of modern communication and creating an on-going, on-the-spot TR was a brilliant idea.
+1  I hoped MadPat's partner would be a tad more into the current century.  MadPat does not own a cell phone and held out against a digital camera until over a year after his film camera was stolen in Buenos Aires in 2009.

I've enjoyed checking it out----I still think they're right out of their chicken for doing it, but what the hell, good for them
Actually this is a far more inspiring way to kick off a season than skiing the WROD.
I did the same on October 7 a year ago, but with less than half the driving distance.
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9784
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
QUESTION for MadPat:

The streak was within a few hours (12?) of it's demise.  Was this the closest call?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by TonyC
TonyC wrote

I've enjoyed checking it out----I still think they're right out of their chicken for doing it, but what the hell, good for them
Actually this is a far more inspiring way to kick off a season than skiing the WROD.
I did the same on October 7 a year ago, but with less than half the driving distance.
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9784
Don't get me wrong, I get it. I don't ski the WROD any_A_ways. Ski season (for me) doesn't start until after deer season in mid December.

I'm sure peeps think going back into a camp w/ no "facilities" for a week at a time is crazy too----but that's what makes the world go 'round.

Glad you guys had fun
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Stoked the man kept his streak alive!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
In reply to this post by TonyC
TonyC wrote
MadPat said it's the best skiing he's done in 16 months.
Sadly, that's mostly a statement about the past 16 months. I might disagree about June/July, when I was with MadPat at Bachelor, Crystal and Mt. Rainier Sunrise.
It was real good, I guess. I'm not as good as quantifying days. When the question was asked, I thought about winter conditions. However this is going to be more memorable that last June/July for the whole experience.

On Harv question, I was pretty confident that it would happen, I didn't know how or when. But I was serene about the possible end, it will end some day. Now I need to get my December turns before 21/12/2012...just in case.

Oh yeah, it was snowing north of North Creek all the way to Potsdam when I drove by this morning.Hills are white, but not like West Virginia.
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Gentlemen.  Way to get it!
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

TonyC
However this is going to be more memorable that last June/July for the whole experience.
No argument there.  I thought there might be road closures and you might have to settle for Seven Springs PA.
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
TonyC wrote
I thought there might be road closures and you might have to settle for Seven Springs PA.
Let just say, that I had winter tires (plus shovel in the truck just in case) and I'm not afraid to use them. I was probably one of the rare car on the road on Tuesday. Passing plows that we going not sure what except making matters worst in some case.

I had reserve some excellent beta on access to Davis plus Matt was getting updates on road closures on his phone. From all that i had heard, Snowshoe's access would have been more problematic.
Ski Mad World
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
This post was updated on .
Wow...just read what I missed and this thread is somewhat overwhelming. The kind words are deeply appreciated. I'm pretty sure that Matt feels the same way as myself on this. Matt or myself weren't looking for publicity out of this crazy trip. We are ordinary skiers looking for adventures and new experiences. West Virginia October powder cause by a hurricane definitely became, we hope, a once in a lifetime experience.

I feel gracious to those that welcomed us in West Virginia, we were just visitors, visitors in a devastated area. The people at the resort were extremely helpful although they lived extreme stress living in this situation. For those who are living through the aftermaths of Sandy or those who have live through a natural disaster will understand. The part of West Virginia we saw reminder me of Upper New England, Eastern Ontario or Southern Quebec during the great Ice storm when many millions went without electricity in early January 1998..

Once our trip was over, we could leave back to our respectful homes with heating, electricity and food. It wasn't the case for these people. I feel we brought smile to some faces (especially thinking of Chip at White Grass) seeing a bunch of crazy people driving so far for their snow. Maybe it was reassuring for them that, after all, people could live with the elements.

Regarding this thread, there was huge interest by a few and request for regular updates, Harv just retransmitted to them directly to the NYSB forum. Anyone who have seen my TRs knows that I'm not one to published timely reports. My own blog is more a way of keeping a regular diary and if people are interested by it or inspires some people to go on their own adventure, so be it. I'm not rich by any means and some of you would be surprise what can be accomplish if you set your mind to it. Not sure if its here on on the weather debate, but I read that my year of skiing must cost something like 50K. Without going into my personal income info, I can assure you that its not even close as that would represent a huge part of my income + I have my own kids activities to fund. I decided that I wanted to try to ski 12-month/year, and I managed to do it once and it has been continuing even since. Is it expensive? Of course, it is, like most things in life. But like many things over the years, memories of this trip while last longer than my car, computer or TV.
Ski Mad World
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Nice, Pat.

I have my own tale to tell of this storm, and it will be told! For now, I'm just so tired and happy to be in bed reading about your adventure, and to see Matt's video on a "real" screen.

Things look worse in my home than in WV, which is super depressing. The line for gas is about half a mile on McGuinness Blvd (with cops keeping the peace!), and the lights are still off in lower manhattan. My job also got cancelled for the weekend and I'm not skiing tomorrow. But, I can surely say that I will never forget this week. What a great time meeting you and Matt, and skiing the crap out of that Valley!

I haven't done so much touring since... April!

I'm not sure if anything good have made it more fun or memorable. Thanks again for all the calls and emails, if it wasn't for company I'm not 100 percent sure I would have made it down.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote

Whitegrass base lodge after finishing a skin and sunset ski by ml242
I love this pic
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by MadPatSki
MadPatSki wrote
I read that my year of skiing must cost something like 50K. Without going into my personal income info, I can assure you that its not even close as that would represent a huge part of my income + I have my own kids activities to fund. I decided that I wanted to try to ski 12-month/year, and I managed to do it once and it has been continuing even since. Is it expensive? Of course, it is, like most things in life. But like many things over the years, memories of this trip while last longer than my car, computer or TV.
I had written that your 7 years (not 1 year) worth of trips must have cost $50k+.  Big difference but still shows your level of personal commitment to our sport.  It was meant as a compliment for being so hard core to ski 85 (or is it 86 months) in a row now.

Prost
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
Coach Z wrote
I had written that your 7 years (not 1 year) worth of trips must have cost $50k+.  Big difference but still shows your level of personal commitment to our sport.  It was meant as a compliment for being so hard core to ski 85 (or is it 86 months) in a row now.

Prost
Thanks. It is hard reading stuff on someone else IPhone without glasses. I thought it was for one year. Not sure the amount would be accurate (I believe it would much less -between 20-50% of that amount on travel?), its like saying that someone that smokes cigarettes (which I have never have) that they spent x amount of thousand of dollars over 10 years. I just know that I have a clue how much my trips to SA have cost (I didn't go the math this year), but in 2010 it ended up at $159/day for 13 days ... that is close if not cheaper than driving to WF, paying full-price and eating breakfast and dinner at the restaurant. Yes, it included everything from airfare to restaurant every night. Mind you there is a huge difference according to ski area, country and accommodations. Valle Nevado in Chile was charging something like 39K pesos (around $75) on my last ski day in September.

Skiing is an important part of our budget, but I have zero expenses on cable, cellphone, one car only, etc.

Thursday November 1 became 86.
Ski Mad World
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This post was updated on .
Let's face it our sport is not cheap but is so rewarding.  I'd bet that if readers of NYSB were asked for one word that described them Skier would be at the top of the list.

My wife and I both are instructors and with trip out west a season, equipment, clothing, PSIA dues and clinics, and now NYSEF and racing expenses for my son we spend way more on skiing than we make teaching.  Its a big part of our family budget.

Your commitment to keeping your streak alive is great.  Keep going!
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
Coach Z wrote
My wife and I both are instructors and with trip out west a season, equipment, clothing, PSIA dues and clinics, and now NYSEF and racing expenses for my son we spend way more on skiing than we make teaching.  Its a big part of our family budget.
I hear you. I have many friends that are or were involved in the ski instructor business. My main ski partner in the 1980s left the full time career when he started having kids. He couldn't make a living out of it. I presume it was the same case for my father who had been a full-time instructor for 15 years before I was born.

My oldest daughter races at one of the local hills. One of the parents is pretty much full time snowboard instructor and has 3 kids in the race program. He was saying that the cost of their programs and race fees were greater than his salary.

Hope you have a great winter...we're due. West Virginia was great, but once the season starts here, I'll be more than likely helping out at my daughter's club, driving her around, skiing and waiting regardless of the temps. I love that she has the ski bug, but it is expensive. She said that she wanted to race a few years ago; she is started late, but has enjoyed it...regardless of the injuries. :( She hasn't skied since early February, but she is ready to go.

Got to go...daughter's number 2 bday party is about to start.

Ski Mad World
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
ok you guys are stompin the stoke  right out this thread with your hugfest and talk of budgets! no storm chasing trip or powder quest ever needs to be justified - ever! awesome trip reports and photos/vid! thanks for posting! oh and happy bday for your girl - glad u made it back in time!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Final Report is up here:

http://skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com/2012/11/skiing-sandy-timberline-whitegrass-west.html

A picture to whet your whistle:

Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Whistle whetted. Nice report.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp