1175 messages Options
1 ... 11121314151617 ... 59
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Today's Ride

campgottagopee
gorgonzola wrote

The old Grumann has become quite the conversation piece as it has a Grumann Aircraft Engineering Corp tag, guessing vintage mid 50's - early 60's.
I'll bet that bad boy was made right here in CNY, Marathon NY to be exact. Still being made today.

Grumman Canoe: A Half-Century Tradition In The Finger Lakes

The Marathon Boat Group is once again making high quality Grumman canoe boats in Marathon, NY. Located in Cortland County at the gateway to the Finger Lakes Region, The Marathon Boat Group was organized in September of 1996 and currently produces 13 canoe models and 11 models of DuraNautic V hulls and jon boats.

The company traces its origins in the scenic upstate New York Finger Lakes region back to 1952 when Leroy Grumman, president of the Grumman corporation in Bethpage, Long Island, decided to relocate its highly successful new canoe enterprise to Marathon. Marathon Boat Group's forerunner, the Metal Boat Division of the Grumman Aircraft Engineering Corporation, produced its first aluminum boats early in 1953, and the mid-fifties saw the introduction of aluminum fishing boats and runabouts. Early aluminum boats were based on work going back to 1945 by William Hoffman who produced the first prototype at Grumman's aircraft plant in Long Island, demonstrating superior strength and handling characteristics to wood and canvas counterparts, while weighing 30% less.

Over the years Grumman expanded its boat line and formed a subsidiary, Grumman Allied Industries, of which the Marathon location became known as Grumman Boats, a division of GAII. By the mid 1980s, boat demand was so great that the line had expanded to included aluminum "V" bottom fishing boats and pontoon boats. By the end of the 1980s Grumman had produced the largest boat in its history at Marathon, designed primarily for Great Lakes use. Grumman Boats was acquired by Outboard Marine Corporation who later purchased and relocated DuraNautic Boat to Marathon from Scranton, PA. In 1996, the Marathon operation was purchased from OMC by four former Grumman/OMC employees and local investor, and the new company, known as The Marathon Boat Group, Inc., resumed production of Marathon Canoes, identical in every respect to the renowned Grumman Canoes, with the exception of the former brand decal. DuraNautic Boat production was also continued by newly formed Marathon Boat Group. The company has enjoyed steady growth since its formation in 1996 both in terms of sales and employment levels.

Nearly a half million Grumman aluminum canoes were produced in Marathon during the past five decades. The canoes enjoyed, and still enjoy, a reputation for being an extremely well-engineered, durable, virtually maintenance free, lightweight watercraft.

For many, the Grumman name also evoked memories of great World War II fighter plans, such as the Hellcat and Avenger, and later the F-14 Tomcat jet fighters as seen in Top Gun, as well as the Apollo Space Program's Lunar Module or LEM, according to Potter. Today, from backyard ponds to backwoods runs, countless outdoor adventures have been launched in Marathon canoes. A proven design, they've proven their mettle in the wild, while making boating accessible to generations of outdoor enthusiasts.

Every Marathon Canoe is handcrafted from a special age-hardened stretch-formed aluminum alloy and hand riveted for strength. All canoes receive a limited lifetime warranty against hull puncture. Models currently include a double enders in varying lengths, square sterns in varying lengths, falcon double enders, falcon square sterns, and 15' "three-in-one" sport boat designed for paddle, row or motor. An accessory line includes folding anchors, sail and row rigs, cartop carrier kits and other canoe components. The DuraNautic Line, produced since the early 1960's, features stainless steel bow eyes in a V model line, with precision welding and durability that result in both strength and performance in tough boats that are affordable and versatile. A new line, the DuraNautic Jons, feature deeper keels for rougher Northern waters.

Along with the Grumman brand name, the company uses a "by Marathon" signature decal in conjunction with the Grumman logo on its canoes.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
yep, still paddles like a champ too! I was surprised to find out about the Marathon history a few years back when Irene took down my neighbors 70' walnut tree on top of her and I was looking for a replacement seat - small world!
campgottagopee wrote
gorgonzola wrote

The old Grumann has become quite the conversation piece as it has a Grumann Aircraft Engineering Corp tag, guessing vintage mid 50's - early 60's.
I'll bet that bad boy was made right here in CNY, Marathon NY to be exact. Still being made today.
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
On Sunday 8/24/14 got on my mountain bike and headed out over the road down into Pennsylvania from my home in Binghamton NY. Traveled down Historic Route 11 which basically parallels I-81. Went out 35 miles at least, an ended up in the tiny town of Kingsley PA. Decided to check out the huge train viaduct located near there. Rode down a dirt road to get to the viaduct called Creek Rd. The viaduct is the Martin Creek viaduct and was built in 1912-1914. It is poured concrete, reinforced with steel. It spans 1,600 feet and is a good 150 feet high... about 15 stories high. Took some pics:

d

b

c

e

f

g
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Couple more pics:

Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Wicked cool.  (I love structures..)
How far does it still go?  

Td
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Telemark Dave wrote
Wicked cool.  (I love structures..)
How far does it still go?  

Td
Still in use. Owned now by Canadian Pacific Railway. Also Norfolk Southern trains routinely pass over it.
14 miles South of the Martin Creek Viaduct is the SUPER HUGE, Nicholson Viaduct (also called Tunkannock Viaduct) which is the big brother to Martin Creek. The bridge in Nichloson is of the same design and construction but is BIGGER at 2,375 feet long and 240 feet tall.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Thanks BigD...

Checked both of them out on google maps.   Nice.  
Looks like a great ride too.  

Td
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Today SBR ventured south to my neck of the woods for a ride.  Took him on Buffalo Soldier, then some other singletrack belonging to a summer camp that is off limits until the campers go home.  Now he knows why I seldom venture elsewhere to ride. Pretty nice being able to ride from your house and be on singletrack a mile down the road.

Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Telemark Dave wrote
Today SBR ventured south to my neck of the woods for a ride.  Took him on Buffalo Soldier, then some other singletrack belonging to a summer camp that is off limits until the campers go home.  Now he knows why I seldom venture elsewhere to ride. Pretty nice being able to ride from your house and be on singletrack a mile down the road.
Excellent trails, TD, don't know why you have been holding out on me. Will post pics later.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Telemark Dave wrote
Excellent trails, TD, don't know why you have been holding out on me. Will post pics later.
Well, I thought it best to wait until you could ride sideways really well.  The above pic confirms that you've added another notch to your mtb skills belt.

TD
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Telemark Dave wrote
Well, I thought it best to wait until you could ride sideways really well.  The above pic confirms that you've added another notch to your mtb skills belt.

TD
Yes, my sideways skills have improved greatly. I was channeling Matt Hunter:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Today's Ride: Buffalo Soldier

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
A variety of things (including the weather) have prevented me from getting out on a bike as much as usual this season. Today presented an opportunity so I took advantage of it. After cutting half the lawn and vacuuming half the house, I loaded up the truck and headed down to TDHQ in Southern Hinterlandia. TD often talks about the legendary trails on his home turf, so I thought it was about time I checked them out. And what fine trails they are! Over the years, TD and other locals have created a really cool singletrack ride through across and down a beautiful ridge of mixed forest. Today we rode the "Buffalo Soldier" an then looped back into the summer camp trails. I had no idea where we we where at any point on the ride.

As I mentioned, the trail follows a ridge. TDHQ is at the bottom of said ridge so there is an uphill start:

TD drops in:

It is hard to keep up, the guy is blur on the trail:

Lovely open rock section:

The places your bike can take you:

iPhone GPS coordinate check:

The trail got a bit vague in the summer camp section. Lots of nice signs but not much summer use:
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Today's Ride: Buffalo Soldier

Telemark Dave
SBR is no slouch either.  He can blur just as well.  Sideways at the same time too!
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Telemark Dave wrote
Pretty nice being able to ride from your house and be on singletrack a mile down the road.
I wouldn't get in half the riding if it weren't for that ^^.  I've got a quarter mile from my driveway to the singletrack.  Or a half-K for you Hinterlandians.

Sick Bird Rider wrote
It is hard to keep up, the guy is blur on the trail:
Your doing it wrong SBR.  Get the rider to hold still while the forest moves:

(Actually the kid could have tried harder to hold still)
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Nice Jeff!  
Oh, and enjoy the blur while he still wants to ride with you.  Time will pass waaaay too fast...
TD
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
I am that vain, I fixed it for you:

Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Ok thanks.  Now what about the one where you're a blurrrrrrr.?
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
great weekend of riding to cap the summer! Spent two beautiful days Friday and Saturday on the Allegrippis Trails on Raystown Lake, 27 miles of fast flowy fun. This is an annual trip a buddy and I do and a great mtb destination. IMBA/Army Corp of Engineers built this network and while not technically challenging, just a shit ton of fun, my face is still sore from smiling so much!

Got home and hit Blue Mountain (PA) bike park Sunday for some lift assisted runs with the blue crew.

Stayed on the greens and blues which provided plenty of challenge for both 5" trail bike and body. Lots of roots, chunky rocks and small drops to navigate  in contrast to the previous days buff tread.

Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Nice!  Thanks for sharing Gorgonzola.

This is the 2nd time I've read a post on a discussion board about Allagripis - a local (to here) guy posted his TR on MTBR a few weeks ago.  

http://forums.mtbr.com/eastern-canada/allegrippis-trails-raystown-pa-%5Bo%5D-928257.html

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Today's Ride: Cafe culture.

Telemark Dave

Bon and I rode to town today, nice quiet back roads, 75F temp... Kicked back at a local cafe, iced espresso soda for me, iced chai latte for B.  A cool retro car was parked out front.. I had to look it up later... Any guesses...?  (Hint: it had right hand drive)

TD
1 ... 11121314151617 ... 59