Tuckerman

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
79 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tuckermans

ADmiKe
I may try and get up there around May 10th if it's still worth it.  Maybe do Hillmans.  Every year I say I'm going to go up there but by May I'm getting into other stuff like MTB and house projects.  Need to actually execute this for once!  Hard to get my usual ski buddies to commit in May.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Z
This was taken by Dan Marchetti last week. I guess he skied it with his young daughter and they had no complaints about the conditions. I swiped this from Facebook.

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by ADmiKe
ADmiKe wrote
I may try and get up there around May 10th if it's still worth it.  Maybe do Hillmans.  Every year I say I'm going to go up there but by May I'm getting into other stuff like MTB and house projects.  Need to actually execute this for once!  Hard to get my usual ski buddies to commit in May.
“If you don’t do it this year you will be one year older when you finally do.”

I’d go now if I was a right coaster.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by ADmiKe
ADmiKe wrote
I am in the same boat. Add letting my fitness go to shit this year as well
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
This is one of the best pictures I've seen in that it accurately portrays how steep the terrain is.  I find that usually pictures of a steep slope don't do justice to the angle.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
The last couple weekends over in Europe I skied over a good deal of corned over Avy debris and it’s nasty stuff.  Seems ok and then you hit a chunk and your tip goes backward.  Maybe the stuff below the fracture becomes ok but the debris field will be crap all spring without multiple feet of new over it
Holy shit, just admit you were wrong and recant your statement that the ravine is fucked for the rest of the spring.

Why do you have to double down on the stupidity by adding non sequitors? You can leave the politics forum, but if you just move the idiocy over here, you still come off sounding pretty dumb.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
internet-ing is serious business
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Very bad news from NH. Apparently a skier was caught in an avalanche, buried and died on Mt Washington near Tucks today.
https://fox23maine.com/news/skier-dies-in-mt-washington-avalanche
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Z wrote
The last couple weekends over in Europe I skied over a good deal of corned over Avy debris and it’s nasty stuff.  Seems ok and then you hit a chunk and your tip goes backward.  Maybe the stuff below the fracture becomes ok but the debris field will be crap all spring without multiple feet of new over it
Holy shit, just admit you were wrong and recant your statement that the ravine is fucked for the rest of the spring.

Why do you have to double down on the stupidity by adding non sequitors? You can leave the politics forum, but if you just move the idiocy over here, you still come off sounding pretty dumb.
Hmm
Who was wrong MC?
https://unofficialnetworks.com/2019/04/11/tuckerman-ravine-avalanche-skier-dead/
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Z wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Z wrote

Hmm
Who was wrong MC?
https://unofficialnetworks.com/2019/04/11/tuckerman-ravine-avalanche-skier-dead/
Bla blah blah. Your guys argument has nothing to do with this unfortunate incident. I'll bet ya 100 bucks that the bowl is looking like a clean slate now but you still gotta watch them wind events. She'll settle out. Don't ski the bc without a partner!

RIP brother!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
raisingarizona wrote
Bla blah blah. Your guys argument has nothing to do with this unfortunate incident. I'll bet ya 100 bucks that the bowl is looking like a clean slate now but you still gotta watch them wind events. She'll settle out. Don't ski the bc without a partner!

RIP brother!
Yeah. Kinda strange to see that someone died, then rush to the NY Ski Blog to claim some kind of victory, but compassion appears to be an emotion that Z doesn't possess.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Yeah, straight up bad choices that had nothing to do with the remnants of the last avy you guys were arguing about.  The incident yesterday was in the Raymond Cataract ravine, which is a waterfall over in Oakes Gulf, I believe.  Entirely different area than Tuckerman Ravine and the last avalanche.  Apparently the entire Oakes Gulf area was very reactive yesterday, with a number of incidents, but none as bad as the fatality, obviously.  A refrozen bulletproof surface and significant wind loading in areas (from not that much new snow) made it a very bad place to be at the wrong time.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
JTG4eva! wrote
Yeah, straight up bad choices that had nothing to do with the remnants of the last avy you guys were arguing about.  The incident yesterday was in the Raymond Cataract ravine, which is a waterfall over in Oakes Gulf, I believe.  Entirely different area than Tuckerman Ravine and the last avalanche...
Exactly correct. That's why I thought this was ridiculous:
Z wrote
Hmm
Who was wrong MC?
Just bizarre to imagine that Z read that story then ran over here to try to claim some sort of internet victory.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Umm, yeah..... I was agreeing with/supporting you.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
JTG4eva! wrote
Umm, yeah..... I was agreeing with/supporting you.
I know! We can fight in some threads & agree in others. That's how things work!

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Shit, I thought that one had the middle finger up!
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Minor detail: I’ve never been in Raymond but I believe it’s in between Tuckerman and Huntington.  Not over by Oakes.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Thanks for clarifying.  I was trying to find it on the map, but didn’t have much time.  Yes, it’s between Tuckerman and Huntington ravines.  Still, nothing to do with the previous avy in Tucks.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This post was updated on .
It is exceptionally are for an eastern Avalanche actually bury someone.  Near 100% of  injuries in an eastern avy are due to blunt force of hitting trees and rocks.  This incident was a big slide and likely was the same instability that caused the slide in tucks headwall.  Thus back to my point that it’s not the smartest or safest  thing to ski there this spring while MC kept insisting all is well and from this clearly it isn’t.

Obviously it’s a terrible someone was killed.  Not sure why he was skiing in the back country and in iffy conditions by himself.  Lesson for everyone there.  Powderfever can kill.  RIP.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time