Tuckerman

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
79 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tuckermans

Jamesdeluxe
Fantastic article ^^. The part about how the debris immediately set up like concrete, oy.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
You should be nicer to people
Now you're getting emotional, too?

What do you think were the most mean things I said in that exchange?
MC wants to chase off anybody who has a different point of view on what ever subject. He doesn’t know how to be nice.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
PeeTex wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
You should be nicer to people
Now you're getting emotional, too?

What do you think were the most mean things I said in that exchange?
MC wants to chase off anybody who has a different point of view on what ever subject. He doesn’t know how to be nice.
I don't agree with this. Do you wanna fight bro!?!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Lol
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
I don't agree with this. Do you wanna fight bro!?!!!
Throw in a few insults, maybe call me a racist or a homophobe and I think you’ve got the MC schtick down pat.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
Coach come on back really would miss ya. Don’t let an internet hater with low T drive you away.
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
Always sad to hear about a casualty..
Raymond Cataract is sketchy..  I climbed it a while back and decided not to ride it because the steep part had a layer I wasn't stoked about..   We all continued the climb but walked over to the Upper Snow fields.

Just remember that heuristic traps are the worst... You gotta get past what you think and find out what's real and then turn back if you need to.   I saw a guy ride into the lower snowfields after a group of women hiked across the top and rode closer to the Tucks trail/little headwall..   He got caught in a small slide that just knocked him down.   I asked why he thought it was safe - he said because he "saw some girls do it"..
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
The official report is out and it’s seriously sobering, sad and terrifying. I’m generally pretty emotionless with these stories unless I personally know the person involved but this story for some reason really gets me.

I can’t say for sure but it sounds like this was pretty avoidable. A recently loaded hard slab is easily identifiable for a really experienced BC skier but they are what gets a lot of folks that don’t yet quite have the mileage. Then of course if he had had a partner it sounds like he would have made it.

I was once told that “wind is the architect of avalanches.” And that’s something you gotta be focused on if you want a long career skiing in the back country. Snow packs are a lot like people in the way that they don’t do well with rapid change.

It has been mentioned in this thread that no one should be skiing up there with the current conditions but that’s not really true. From other reports it sounds like safe travel was more advanced but still doable. This makes me think that the discussion should be steered more towards an awareness that “moderate” conditions may not be the right conditions to be learning on, especially solo.

https://snowbrains.com/mount-washington-avalanche-center-analysis-of-the-fatality-near-tuckerman-ravine/
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
It seems to me that this gets to you because it's written from a very detailed, technical point of view.  And it has pictures.

Maybe you've seen yourself in this position or thought about this type of event in your travels.

As an aside, yeah, it seems unwise to go alone, but if I were to buy the farm in an avalanche, I would be happy that someone wasn't there to witness it.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
D.B. Cooper wrote
It seems to me that this gets to you because it's written from a very detailed, technical point of view.  And it has pictures.

Maybe you've seen yourself in this position or thought about this type of event in your travels.

As an aside, yeah, it seems unwise to go alone, but if I were to buy the farm in an avalanche, I would be happy that someone wasn't there to witness it.
You'd be one happy AF MF-er to be dug out if you were stuck, locked in a frozen tomb buried alive and fully aware of your situation. Which I bet, was the case here.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
raisingarizona wrote
It has been mentioned in this thread that no one should be skiing up there with the current conditions but that’s not really true. From other reports it sounds like safe travel was more advanced but still doable. This makes me think that the discussion should be steered more towards an awareness that “moderate” conditions may not be the right conditions to be learning on, especially solo.
There could be so many layers to the discussion of what avy conditions are safe for whom....but you are right.  While Extreme or High are conditions everyone should think long and hard about avoiding, when conditions are Considerable there can always be safe aspects to ski, so long as you can navigate your way there safely.  So, to say nobody should have been out?  Nah, that’s seriously venturing into orange fencing territory.

That said, in Moderate and Considerable conditions, especially with a tricky setup like Tucks had, less experience skiers don’t know the limits of their abilities, and experienced skiers (more often than not the skiers who fall victim) fall into the traps we’ve been discussing.  All the incidents in the Tucks area last week involved experienced BC skiers.  So, while saying nobody should be out there is going too far, people need to exercise proper caution, which they often don’t.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
raisingarizona wrote
D.B. Cooper wrote
You'd be one happy AF MF-er to be dug out if you were stuck, locked in a frozen tomb buried alive and fully aware of your situation. Which I bet, was the case here.
Oh, absolutely!  They would have to bring another toboggan for the turd I'd let go.  I'm just saying, if I went that way I'd rather go with nobody around rather than exposing someone to the horror.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
All that Tuck’s talk.....anyone go?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
We have had a few terrible weather weekends in a row.

This weekend looks decent right now. If it doesn't change, I might make a run at it (or just use one of my 2 remaining Killington days).
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
If the weather is right and you have no Mother’s Day obligations.....I hope you have fun!
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Didn't make it happen again this year - maybe next year!  Ended up on business trips and skiing in several other places throughout most of April, so it was a good reason not to make it to tucks...

Speaking of that I still need to post a trip report from WA and AK.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Yes.....I’m very interested to hear what you skied and your overall impression of Crystal!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
JTG4eva! wrote
Yes.....I’m very interested to hear what you skied and your overall impression of Crystal!
Me too
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller