classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
79 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tuckerman

Michaeltokyo
This post was updated on .
Some of you may have seen this already, but I thought this was a really fine documentary of Tuckerman spring skiing.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Tuckermans

PeeTex

Tuckermans was really nice today - It’s really great that the put the T bar in, makes it a lot easier to get a few more runs in
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
Hardy har har
I did a double take at first.
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
It is April 1
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I saw a post on FB saying Tucks has a huge Avy fracture line across 75% of its width so it might not be skiablethis spring.  Don’t have t8meto digit up right now but it was from a good source
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Z wrote
I saw a post on FB saying Tucks has a huge Avy fracture line across 75% of its width so it might not be skiablethis spring.  Don’t have t8meto digit up right now but it was from a good source
There's pics of that in many places on the web.  I think it was on snowbrains.com at one point, as well as TGR forums, Facebook groups, etc
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
 huge Avy fracture line across 75% of its width so it might not be skiable this spring.
Lol.

Yes, Tuckerman Ravine has never slid before, and, as we all know, if a slope has an avalanche, it becomes unskiable for an entire season.

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
People have been skiing Tucks since that slide. It looks like there is plenty of base under the slide track bed surface.

Now you just a have a small mandatory air on most lines in there so it's a tad spicier!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Tuckerman

riverc0il
raisingarizona wrote
People have been skiing Tucks since that slide. It looks like there is plenty of base under the slide track bed surface.

Now you just a have a small mandatory air on most lines in there so it's a tad spicier!
Yup!!

But for folks that don't want the mandatory, it will likely fill in. I highly doubt the bowl has seen its last wind loading event of the season.

Beyond that... the crown extends from Chute across the Bowl to Sluice. That crown does not impact the other gullies. So you can say the headwall area of the bowl has a bit of a terrain hazard with that crown but not the entity of Tuckerman Ravine.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Never been to Tuckerman, but I think it could be fun if you only climb to the fracture and ski down?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Harvey wrote
Never been to Tuckerman, but I think it could be fun if you only climb to the fracture and ski down?
I've also not been to tucks but based on the pics I've seen, I'd say it might be kind of challenging to click in mid head-wall.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Haha good point. And yea... I can't even "click in."
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
There are lots of other options than the main head wall that are quite interesting
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
With many of the climbing routes in the bowl, there really isn't a way to click in safely after you reach a certain pitch. Some of the easier approaches like Hillman's are more forgiving for clicking in without topping out. That is definitely not an issue halfway up Hillman's. But I wouldn't recommend that on the headwall. The crown of that slide is pretty much at the steepest part of the bowl which is around 50*. That is almost double the pitch of the steepest in bounds run at many ski areas.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Z wrote
 huge Avy fracture line across 75% of its width so it might not be skiable this spring.
Lol.

Yes, Tuckerman Ravine has never slid before, and, as we all know, if a slope has an avalanche, it becomes unskiable for an entire season.

I certainly dont enjoy skiing on Avy rubble but hey MC you probably love it like it’s fresh pow because you automatically zig when I  zag

Unless we get a ton more snow over that rubble it’s not going to be any fun this season
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
It’s pretty amazing what a good wind event and a week long MF cycle can do to a crown and avie rubble. Jus sayin. But yeah, skiing down fresh avie rubble pretty much sucks.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
Unless we get a ton more snow over that rubble it’s not going to be any fun this season
The headwall area and ravine floor will look completely different in a few weeks, likely less depending on the weather. Your observation is way off the mark.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
The last couple weekends over in Europe I skied over a good deal of corned over Avy debris and it’s nasty stuff.  Seems ok and then you hit a chunk and your tip goes backward.  Maybe the stuff below the fracture becomes ok but the debris field will be crap all spring without multiple feet of new over it