classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
121 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: We went for a walk today here in Arizona

ADmiKe
Damn 109" in AZ! Sweet!!!  Nice pics btw
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
This post was updated on .
Thanks Mike!

After 26 inches from this last system we decided to go take a walk yesterday. This storm seemed so calm but man did it wreak havoc on a lot of the terrain. It was Slide city out there and most north faces went huge. We still managed to find some goods tho.

Ski patrol managed to get a good one to rip in Upper Bowl yesterday morning.

This is approaching the exit crux move on "Puckered". My buddy Tommy and I skied it together and it was my second time in it ever. This time the snow was much better and I have to say it's now a top 5 line for me here in our back country. This clip will definitely be in my season edit.

Looking back up at our first lines for the day. Ken and his son Nico skied "Hell No" to the viewers left and Tommy and I's line down Puckered is on the right.

After our first lines we decided to head over to The Core Ridge lowers thinking it may had been salvaged from the slides and winds at the upper elevations. This was our lunch spot.

This is the entrance of my second line for the day "Last Chance". The drop in and first turn was deceivingly sexy so I punched it around the corner and into the main Chute only to find myself getting tossed on my fourth turn in terrible wind slab! Luckily I stopped myself from going into a tumble. As I was trying to get myself up out of the hole I just created my sluff came rolling down, running me over and shoving a bunch of snow up my back.

You win some and you lose some. All in all it was a killer day.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Nice!  Great pics.  That lunch pic....sweet face on the peak across the way.  I'm guessing you have hucked that cliff band a time or two......
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I haven't JTG4! I have eyed up that ramp just left of the hourglass line but lining a move up like that here, especially in that location is really difficult. If I'm in that area I'm generally trying to ski a fluid ttb run. It's remote, it's a huge drop and it's south facing. My 15 year younger self on the right day with a film crew and helicopter wouldn't have thought twice but now....not so much.

Spring has sprung here in the SW! Today it's nearly 70 here at 7k. I can't say that I'm bummed about that either, it feels great! This weekend was the second annual card board derby race and KPAC fundraiser party. Cody was fired up to enter so the day before the event we threw this thing together.

These guys went to town! The starting line was steep and the slush was starting to refreeze at 5:30 so I actually lost my footing and sent my daughter and her buddy down the run just before the actual start. They stopped in the run out below as the rest of the participants came raging down towards them. These guys and a few others ran them over! the carnage was legendary! :)

Codes rocked her new flat brim at the bar just a little bit crooked. She's such my mini-me.

When we left the full moon was rising up over the ridge.

This one isn't my photo but I like it so I stole it. I love our little mountain and local ski community. this place is so sweet.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Looks like a cool party
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Bump

Yo AZ, no walks yet this year?
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
nope, I think we’ve had 28 inches of natural snowfall so far this season. That’s not enough to get out touring really. I have a few nice pictures though so I’ll update this thread once I have a little more time.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
No snow, no walks. That’s how it goes here in Arizona, seasons preceding record snowfall years tend to be droughts. It’s pretty normal here but what’s strange is how it’s extending so far north into Colorado and Utah. Things are changing and rapidly.

Leaving the bar.

Cody’s first hitch hike ride in the back of a pick up truck. This was right after we did a photo/video shoot for Snowbowl and got paid! Cody has a season pass for next year! Woo hoo!

We had one powder day. With only 3 runs open it didn’t even last an hour. I was on the first chair and I skied by a photographer apparently and made it into the paper a few days later.

It’s basically the winter that wasn’t for all of us south of Wyoming but I’m not complaining, it’s been in the 60’s all week and we’ve been having fun. My focus has been skiing with Cody and it’s been awesome.
Reply | Threaded
|

2000yearoldskier
Great pictures RA , looks like a good start for Cody's pro ski career.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by ADmiKe
Today was my first day back at Snowbowl in three weeks. It was awight.

Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Awesome
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Dang. That looks well worth the wait.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Great shots AZ
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
thanks boys! :D
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Nice hat!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
We actually went for a walk yesterday!

It was a pretty morning.

The clouds were stunning.

We were hoping for some smooth fresh snow but it was so warm it didn’t happen.

Proof of walking.

We walked around in the Inner Basin. We didn’t find any good snow but we didn’t care, it was killer just to be out there. Afterwords we headed to the bar and my girlfriend sent me a message that the nursing program I applied to sent a reply. I had her open it and......

I was so happy I almost cried right in front of the boys.

It was a good day.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Congratulations!!!

Maybe you will meet a girl in a flatbed Ford?
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Congrats
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Congratulations!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Congrats!