Wet Guns

49 messages Options
tjf1967 tjf1967
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Wet Guns

Seems most mountain are now putting out a really wet product to built bases.  Even at 0 degrees I am hitting wet spots.  I used to move early season with the guns and have a man made powder day wherever they were.  Lately I have been avoiding them cause I'm afraid of getting me leg ripped off.  I can see during the week when not much traffic is on the trails lay it down thick, but on the weekends seems like they should lighten it up if customers are going to be skiing it.  

Anybody else been noticing that over the past couple of years?  
marznc marznc
Reply |

Re: Wet Guns

Perhaps some places in the northeast are learning more about what works during early season that helps extend the season after early March?

At Massanutten, the early season snowmaking product has been wetter snow every since I started noticing about a dozen years ago.  Needed a solid base just to survive the inevitable January thaw.  Sometimes had slopes open with only 10-15 inches.  Remember man-made snow is the only reason there is a full-season (mid-Dec to mid-March) in northern VA.
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

In reply to this post by tjf1967
I’ve noticed.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
PeeTex PeeTex
Reply |

Shouldn't be a problem in the future as we will be banning guns.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |

In reply to this post by Brownski
I was Hunter 2 weeks or so ago, it was in the single digits. They were blowing pure pixie dust..
"Peace and Love"
D.B. Cooper D.B. Cooper
Reply |

All snow seems more damp when you're not poaching!
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Saratogahalfday Saratogahalfday
Reply |

It was pretty wet coming out of some guns at Magic over the weekend.  Fine by me though, we need the base.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

I've seen it too.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
campgottagopee campgottagopee
Reply |

I've never understood "base snow". That happens naturally through freeze thaw cycles, so why add to it? Why not make the best quality snow you can for the best skiing possible.

Granted it was a long time ago but when I made snow it was POW! If the snow stuck to your Carhartt  it was too wet.
tjf1967 tjf1967
Reply |

Me to and if the boss came back inn the next morning and there were whales we would get our ass chewed.