306 messages Options
1 ... 3456789 ... 16
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What is the Ideal Amount of Snow?

PeeTex
Interesting...
Avi control in the BC where there are no roads or assets, is it done anywhere? I don't think so. No avi danger in the east though- gee - I wish I knew that last Feb when there was a good couple of feet of imaginary powder on top of a layer of ice on those ADK slides which of course have all those imaginary trees which you can smack yourself up on.

You may like open bowl skiing on a blue bird day, but I'll ski the trees even at snowbird in a blizzard or heavy fog, you'll be in the lodge whining about how dangerous it is. When the sun is out, I'll join you in the bowls.

Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Avy control in the backcountry: "you go first"
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
ml242 wrote
Avy control in the backcountry: "you go first"
He's got no clue; he's never been on a slide or anywhere near avalanche terrain.  He's MikeyK, built like his ski equipment:  Floppy and Sloppy.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
Yeah, this guy knows everything except for the fact that you stated the avy happened at Revelstoke, not Killington.

He's like a bizarro SnoLoco, instead of trumping up snowmaking and grooming it's "east coast sucks, you suck at skiing"
I was making a joke genius. The fact that there's not enough snow to have avalanche problems in the east like they have out west. Next you'll be telling me the chugatch and the northern greens are comparable. East doesn't compare to west unless you enjoy skiing ice. Then it's fantastic!

Oh yeah northern VT is totally comparable to Utah and 50 million other places out west. SUUUURE
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote

You may like open bowl skiing on a blue bird day, but I'll ski the trees even at snowbird in a blizzard or heavy fog, you'll be in the lodge whining about how dangerous it is. When the sun is out, I'll join you in the bowls.
Good for you. Want a cookie?  lol Oh and I wouldn't be in the lodge, I'd be on the trails

You choose to take that risk of injury, that's your choice. Just like riding a motorcycle.(most people don't understand just how dangerous it is) Just be honest about the risks.
14-15 Season:

12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote
 The fact that there's not enough snow to have avalanche problems in the east.
  Oh that's riiiiiiich!  Chubby, if you had the balls or the stamina to get anywhere near a slide in the ADKs, your fat ass would definitely kick off an avalanche.  I hope you keep posting using this sock puppet 'cus MikeyK always melted down and ran away.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
PowderAssassin wrote
ml242 wrote
Yeah, this guy knows everything except for the fact that you stated the avy happened at Revelstoke, not Killington.

He's like a bizarro SnoLoco, instead of trumping up snowmaking and grooming it's "east coast sucks, you suck at skiing"
I was making a joke genius. The fact that there's not enough snow to have avalanche problems in the east like they have out west. Next you'll be telling me the chugatch and the northern greens are comparable. East doesn't compare to west unless you enjoy skiing ice. Then it's fantastic!

Oh yeah northern VT is totally comparable to Utah and 50 million other places out west. SUUUURE
Actually, avalanches have a lot of factors besides quantity of snow, and there are a lot of reasons that VT is less effected than "out west". Just like there's a reason that CO has many times more than UT.

Do you know anything?
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
PowderAssassin wrote
You choose to take that risk of injury, that's your choice. Just like riding a motorcycle.(most people don't understand just how dangerous it is) Just be honest about the risks.
  Let's see, the guy minimizes avalanche risk - both east and west - but is scared of tree skiing.    I couldn't make this shit up.  

You really are confused Mikey.
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
True, there are not many, if any, inbound slides on EC.   Not because of steepness but lack of two major considerations in my limited knowlege:  1) multi-day, multi different kind (crystals) of snow.   2) lack of un-touched snow from day-to-day allowing 1 above to occur and form breakable layers.

On EC, skiers are quick to cut up any new snow fall, effectivley mixing or sewing it into the fabric of the snow layer below it.   As opposed to WC, where a portion of a run can go unskied for several days, allowing faulting snow layers to develop.    

35-51 degrees is the wide range degrees for avy, but most slips occur between 38-42 degrees, maybe because people are skiing/boarding or snow machining on these pitches most often.  There are of slopes on EC in that realm, but not many.  And the "parts" of the slopes in that realm are relatively short...measured in 100 liner to 150 liner feet runs, the slopes below these steep pitches then fall back into the high 20s low 30s for the remaining pitch.  Slips can occur at 36-38 for powder dry snow to around 40-42 as the snow gets wetter.  

If we did get volumes of multi-crystal snow over a few days, EC slopes still have to overcome the short sections of steep avy prone slopes, followed by slopes outside the slip range and skiers/boarders mixing the layers.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
PowderAssassin wrote
Oh and I wouldn't be in the lodge, I'd be on the trails

And now we know the truth. He's never even skied the open trails out west, he's never been in a white out where the safest place to ski is in the trees. When vertigo on a steep trail is real and you can't tell where the drop offs are.

He's never skied real BC terrain where being in the trees can provide an anchor for the snow pack and provide a level of safety.

Just another poser.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by I:)skiing
I:)skiing wrote
True, there are not many, if any, inbound slides on EC.   Not because of steepness but lack of two major considerations in my limited knowlege:  1) multi-day, multi different kind (crystals) of snow.   2) lack of un-touched snow from day-to-day allowing 1 above to occur and form breakable layers.

On EC, skiers are quick to cut up any new snow fall, effectivley mixing or sewing it into the fabric of the snow layer below it.   As opposed to WC, where a portion of a run can go unskied for several days, allowing faulting snow layers to develop.    

35-51 degrees is the wide range degrees for avy, but most slips occur between 38-42 degrees, maybe because people are skiing/boarding or snow machining on these pitches most often.  There are of slopes on EC in that realm, but not many.  And the "parts" of the slopes in that realm are relatively short...measured in 100 liner to 150 liner feet runs, the slopes below these steep pitches then fall back into the high 20s low 30s for the remaining pitch.  Slips can occur at 36-38 for powder dry snow to around 40-42 as the snow gets wetter.  

If we did get volumes of multi-crystal snow over a few days, EC slopes still have to overcome the short sections of steep avy prone slopes, followed by slopes outside the slip range and skiers/boarders mixing the layers.

That's a good start. The other major factor is how humid the air is here, which consolidates, cycles, and bonds snow much faster than in the desert.

If you want to see inbounds avalanches, there have been plenty on snowmaking trails where they'll blow after a stiff frost, and by the time the snow is 1.5' deep the whole thing slides. But that is precisely because snowmaking snow is not real snow and doesn't have the crystals to actually bond the surface to the ground immediately. Not that it matters once a groomer smooshes it into place and the heat from the ground works on it.

If avalanches were absolutely not a worry, we should probably tell the MTW weather center they can save money by firing the guy that does those reports, as well as the forecasters in the chic chocs.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
PowderAssassin wrote
>
Common sense would dictate wood skiing is dangerous.  
Yes, not recommended

Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Noah John
Noah John wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
  Let's see, the guy minimizes avalanche risk - both east and west - but is scared of tree skiing.    I couldn't make this shit up.  

You really are confused Mikey.
yeah avalanche risk is minimal at killington and inbound areas out west. But keep trying to change my words. Should I quote myself? lol

Again this thread was never about avalanches, but was derailed because of ridiculous statements saying tree skiing isn't more dangerous and that NVT gets more snow than many areas out west. Snowiest area on EC is snow ridge. No question. Never claimed to be an avalanche expert. I just know it's not an issue out east and honestly, while all that was said was probably true, we probably don't have enough snow depth for it to be an issue. Hell, most of southern/central VT can barely hold onto a snowpack without the help of snow guns
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
PeeTex wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
Oh and I wouldn't be in the lodge, I'd be on the trails

And now we know the truth. He's never even skied the open trails out west, he's never been in a white out where the safest place to ski is in the trees. When vertigo on a steep trail is real and you can't tell where the drop offs are.

He's never skied real BC terrain where being in the trees can provide an anchor for the snow pack and provide a level of safety.

Just another poser.
Hmmmm....Did I say I was mr extreme....posing as what? Posing as someone who doesn't want to ski trees? That's making me sound hardcore? LOL I specifically state I SKIED FOR FUN. Check the thread buddy boy
Another deflection because your east coast boys are a little butt hurt over the fact that northern VT sucks for getting pow compared to many areas out west.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
PeeTex wrote

Yes I have. I used to live in Orem and have skied almost every ski area in Utah. NVT doesn't hold a candle to it. You guys are crazy if you think otherwise. It's not even close. It's like comparing a formula one race car to a go kart. I don't do crazy shit hucking off cliffs and shit and neither do you. Because you'd never want to live out East. The terrain out west blows away anything out here. There's a reason 99% of extreme back country videos are filmed out west.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
... 2" more than has already fallen!

wow, nothing more to add here other than one should never use the word ass twice in their screen name. carry on
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
If you look at number of deaths.....More people die hitting trees than in avalanches. If ski areas were smart, they'd net the sides of trails. Nevermind all the serious injuries
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
PowderAssassin wrote
Yes I have. I used to live in Orem and have skied almost every ski area in Utah. NVT doesn't hold a candle to it.
That was never contended. Somehow you can't comprehend this.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
PowderAssassin wrote
If you look at number of deaths.....More people die hitting trees than in avalanches.
Yes, by flying off the trails. How does this translate to people purposely skiing in the trees?
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
PowderAssassin wrote
Snowiest area on EC is snow ridge.
Pudgy, if Snowridge gets the 230" reported by some here than that's not even close to true.  Not.  Even.  Close.

Mikey, you make me laugh!
1 ... 3456789 ... 16