WRONG!!! I AM A SKI GOD

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What is the Ideal Amount of Snow?

Glade Runner
Banned User
In reply to this post by PeeTex
Speak for yourself.  I am a ski god. Get over it.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
PeeTex wrote
I also believe that as much as Harv my not like the discord, he actually likes it when the hits and post numbers run up. It helps with advertisers and lets face it, if there is no flame war going on, particularly in the dry months, there are only a few posts and little activity - look at the history this month. I watch during these droughts and Harv will throw out a post here or there to try to get a discussion started.
And that behavior is really that different than in the winter?

I think you're being just a little cynical.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
PeeTex wrote
I also believe that as much as Harv my not like the discord, he actually likes it when the hits and post numbers run up. It helps with advertisers and lets face it, if there is no flame war going on, particularly in the dry months, there are only a few posts and little activity - look at the history this month. I watch during these droughts and Harv will throw out a post here or there to try to get a discussion started.
I often have tried to get a discussion started.  However, to get one started, sometimes you need to post about a hot topic that is debatable so that people will respond.  I think that some debate is fine, as long as there is no personal attacks.  Unfortunately, some people just like to personally flame others and not focus on the topic, that is what starts up all these brawls.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by ml242
Said this before: My involvement in NYSB is not about money.  Last years cash revenue (we do some trade too) came to about 1/2 of costs for hosting and development.  The thing that has slowed our move to a responsive site (ie works on a phone) is money. The rack rate for that work is about 8x our annual income.

I'm a marketing guy. A bunch of people being calling each other names is not a strategy that is commonly believed to help with advertisers.

Back on topic I always sucked at skiing deep snow, I'd go over the handlebars a lot.  When I went to 100mm from 90 the difference was big. At this moment...

Plattekill

...I skied T2B in deep (some cutup) snow with nothing close to a crash. Maybe obvious but I didn't get it before then. For me the ideal depth got deeper.  The compromise is on hardpack, and I'm learning to deal with that.  I'm no longer picking a daily driver based on normal conditions, but erring on the side of nirvana.  I'm skiing less when it's crappy too.

One more thing - I disagree... there are some ski gods here.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
tBatt is probably getting to be ok about now.

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Maybe not a ski god but certainly a ski goddess

Now if anyone would like to post a similar personal video then they will then be elevated to deity.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
By the way - I am a ski god - here is a selfie

Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
Woah this thread took a turn for the better. Funny how when you get some new trolls the old ones don't seem so bad
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by MikeK
MikeK wrote
some other younger guy who generally thinks it's cool to put his entire life on some ridiculous blog and hang out here rather than playing candy saga crush while he waits for it to snow so he can teach people how awesome he is at skiing, and then go home and blog about it.
Posts like this are exactly why I got rid of Candy Crush and spend a lot of my time here. The entertainment value can't be matched.

And thank you for recognizing how awesome I am at skiing.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
mattchuck2 wrote
MikeK wrote
some other younger guy who generally thinks it's cool to put his entire life on some ridiculous blog and hang out here rather than playing candy saga crush while he waits for it to snow so he can teach people how awesome he is at skiing, and then go home and blog about it.
Posts like this are exactly why I got rid of Candy Crush and spend a lot of my time here. The entertainment value can't be matched.

And thank you for recognizing how awesome I am at skiing.
Wicked cool...another ski god   
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
PeeTex wrote
Now if anyone would like to post a similar personal video then they will then be elevated to deity.
PeeTex, I'm just waiting for you to put me in the heli.... thinking right from the top of Algonquin.  I could walk up there but then there wouldn't be the cool aerial footage.
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
what is the perfect amount of new snow to ski in the East?  You can have any skis/gear you want.

6 inches? Two feet? Four feet? What say you?
Depends on the terrain..  really..  Maybe not 3' in glades...  But awesome on a steep open trail...
If it's really steep - maybe not so deep so it will slide...  

lot's of variables..  
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
PeeTex wrote
PeeTex, I'm just waiting for you to put me in the heli.... thinking right from the top of Algonquin.  I could walk up there but then there wouldn't be the cool aerial footage.
That would be cool wouldn't it - I'd shit my britches skiing what Angel skied.
But she is certainly a ski goddess. Heli skiing is a hoot, should be done at least once and probably many times in a lifetime.
But Heli up to Big Al, nah, the hike is not all that bad. Try it sometime. Save the chopper for the Bugaboos.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
Pow... DHS from AZ is with you:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/132531-Most-snow-in-the-east?p=860162&viewfull=1#post860162
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote
East coast ice....that saying exists for a reason. There's no getting "good" at skiing boiler plate ice. It's just a recipe for leg/knee injury!

dude, I'm soo much better than you!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by MikeK
MikeK wrote
PA, you should probably just give it a rest.

First off, read the title of this post.  Is that not the most idiotic question you've ever read?  I think my 4 year old niece comes up with more insightful conversation questions than that.

Second, when, ever, on the history of the internet has anyone said... gee sir, I respect your opinion and I'm going to change my mind because you convinced me otherwise.  I've never skied out West, but OF COURSE it is better.  Anyone who debates that merely needs to look at how many people fly from the east coast to the rockies vs. the number of people who fly from the rockies to the Whites?  Greens?  Adirondacks?  Hills in central and southern NY.  It's almost unheard of unless they had some other motive.  I work with people who take ski trips out West every year.  I don't hear of people from Colorado coming to ski Whiteface.  It's just absurd.  So just get over it.  No ones going to agree with you because it's the internet and they'd rather try to discredit you and argue and feel good that they had a little personal victory.

Third, this forum is a joke.  In consists of mainly nearly retired to retired old geezers who have nothing better to do than worry about money, football, their idiotic bucket lists that no one cares about, beer, and oh yeah, skiing.  Take any one of those things away from them and they are crying like infants wanting their binky.  The other small population is people from the Hinterlands, some Coach dude who's a bit of a meat head I think, a kid who thinks skiing outside of a resort is some kind of illegal and insane activity, and some other younger guy who generally thinks it's cool to put his entire life on some ridiculous blog and hang out here rather than playing candy saga crush while he waits for it to snow so he can teach people how awesome he is at skiing, and then go home and blog about it.  There are a couple other that don't fit those are probably OK but there isn't really diversity to speak of.  I'm pretty sure all the sexist, football watching, beer swilling geezers chased off or offended any women that might have joined.

And lastly, here lives the greatest ski forum troll to ever walk the silky threads of the worldwide web.  You got to see a taste of his insane paranoid ranting and absolute hate filled bile he spews.  And he's got friends here, so watch out!

If I were you, I'd shut my computer, have a beer and never come back to this place.  The slight shred of useful information you might find is not worth all the hate mongering that lies within.

If I'd known it was the way it was, I would have never joined.  But I was 'smoked out' by that clever troll.  So clever that he recognized the exact same screen name I used before when we clashed.

I'm going to go on enjoying being 34 and rid of internet ski forums.  I hope that helps clear some stuff up.

FTW!!  LOL!!!  Just awesome!!!  hahahahhahahah
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
I've gotten pretty good on the ice.  Sharpen you edge once in a while.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
This post was updated on .
Glade Runner wrote
I've gotten pretty good on the ice.  Sharpen you edge once in a while.
Yeah I'm good. I don't like ice. Don't want to pay to ski it either. I like skiing actual snow..I'll get a pair of ice skates if I want to glide on ice. Go figure. lol

Pro skiers get PAID/fame ect to ski. I do it for pleasure.

I find it absolutely hilarious how biased ec skiers are. Seriously. It's like their talking about their own child and how good looking they are. Just have blinders on.

Jay peak according to their stats gets more snow than

Colorado

1)Telluride(13,000 feet in the rockies. LMFAO!)
2)Arapahoe Basin(13k)
3)Breckenridge
4)Aspen
5)Vail

Utah
6)The Canyons
7)Deer Valley
8)Park City gets 5 inches more than jay....LMAO

This is really to the point of absurdity. Anyone who skis the east knows damn well how hard pow is to find. To compare park city utah to jay peak and say their equal on number of powder days is absolutely beyond absurd. I can barely even find pow on a trail at jay peak/stowe the majority of the time. It's all somebody playing in super tight trees where you have an opening for 30 vertical feet to ski before you have to hit the brakes if you care about living. Anyway, I'm thinking of keep track of snow reports and number of pow days at telluride this coming year vs. jay peak/stowe. Would LOVE to see how they compare.

Telluride
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Do people understand how much snow falls in the high rockies? You can look at the nws high elevation forecasts. Do it next year. Look at their forecasts.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
1 ... 567891011 ... 16