Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What is the Ideal Amount of Snow?

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote
And most of it depends on where you live.  I'd be happy if snow ridge was my home mtn for sure.  My home mtn is greek but, i feel like most of my time there is spent getting ready for bigger mtns.  Id def go for a smaller mtn for a home mtn if it was closer just to get my days in.
I get it....500 vertical feet is not a lot when you're driving a long way. How far are you from snow ridge? I'm 4 hours away. I hardly ever get it there. Usually just watchiing webcams/radar. Get it once in a while. It's too far from me unfortunately. I wish that was my local mountain.

But are you close to northern vt mountains? Of course not. So who the hell wants to drive all that way for hardpack(what it is 90% of the time). Honestly, I've never skied greek, but you'll get more pow days at your local mountain(assuming they leave pow) than anywhere you have to get a hotel/drive hours and hours to get to. That's a once or twice a year thing unless you're loaded and/or have no job/commitments. A season pass at a hill less than an hour away is an absolute necessity if you really want to ski a lot. And yes I ski more than 12 times a year. LOL
Snow Ridge is 2.5 - 3 hrs away for me.  Greek is only 40 min.  Yes NVT is farther but, I have had good luck going to Jay.  I have 10 days there in the last 2 years and like I said before I have caught at least one powder day on each trip (out of 4 trips).  If you stay for a few days in march it is bound to happen.  i do get a lot of powder days at greek but, i want more.  I like the big mountains and I make the most of it no matter what the conditions.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote
It's kind of funny how Harvey basically makes the same points as me, but suddenly when he does you cower like a scolded dog in the corner and admit you're completely wrong.
I don't see it like that. GR has a strongly held opinion and so do I.  We expressed our opinions without telling the other they suck. That's kinda what I'm hoping for. Educated, firmly held beliefs, articulately expressed, sans nasty.

GR's avatar, taken on Cliff, so, maybe I naturally cut him some slack.  You got peeps calling for more moderation, that may have an effect too. I'm always looking for the easy way out.

Although for realz I'm sure HPD was kidding. Moderation is agin his religion!

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Glade Runner

I found this guy buried in the woods that day at Snow Ridge
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User

That would be my tracks right there
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Glade Runner wrote

What was he doing in there? It looks too dangerous
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote
And most of it depends on where you live.  I'd be happy if snow ridge was my home mtn for sure.  My home mtn is greek but, i feel like most of my time there is spent getting ready for bigger mtns.  Id def go for a smaller mtn for a home mtn if it was closer just to get my days in.
I get it....500 vertical feet is not a lot when you're driving a long way. How far are you from snow ridge? I'm 4 hours away. I hardly ever get it there. Usually just watchiing webcams/radar. Get it once in a while. It's too far from me unfortunately. I wish that was my local mountain.

But are you close to northern vt mountains? Of course not. So who the hell wants to drive all that way for hardpack(what it is 90% of the time). Honestly, I've never skied greek, but you'll get more pow days at your local mountain(assuming they leave pow) than anywhere you have to get a hotel/drive hours and hours to get to. That's a once or twice a year thing unless you're loaded and/or have no job/commitments. A season pass at a hill less than an hour away is an absolute necessity if you really want to ski a lot. And yes I ski more than 12 times a year. LOL
It must suck to have a job and commitments that limits you to 2 powder days a year.  Like I said I would guess close to 20 pow days last year of 8" +.  It helps to be flexible especially if you want to make snow your priority.  That means going where the snow is when its there.  If that isn't your priority then that's cool and that's your thing.  I'm sure my day will come when I slow it down but, right now I am enjoying the ride, exploring other mountains and searching for powder.

Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
Glade Runner wrote

Idk I'm not familiar with the terrain but, I'm assuming it was a gully.  He was just trying to dig himself out when I came upon him.  
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Wow - like 13 pages in 5 hours - must be some kind of record. PA is sure good for ratings.

Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
It's kind of funny how Harvey basically makes the same points as me, but suddenly when he does you cower like a scolded dog in the corner and admit you're completely wrong.
I don't see it like that. GR has a strongly held opinion and so do I.  We expressed our opinions without telling the other they suck. That's kinda what I'm hoping for. Educated, firmly held beliefs, articulately expressed, sans nasty.

GR's avatar, taken on Cliff, so, maybe I naturally cut him some slack.  You got peeps calling for more moderation, that may have an effect too. I'm always looking for the easy way out.

Although for realz I'm sure HPD was kidding. Moderation is agin his religion!
Follow the thread carefully. See who started calling who names. I never said anything personal to him. He then starts talking all kinds of shit including cursing at me.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Glade Runner wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote

It must suck to have a job and commitments that limits you to 2 powder days a year.  Like I said I would guess close to 20 pow days last year of 8" +.  It helps to be flexible especially if you want to make snow your priority.  That means going where the snow is when its there.  If that isn't your priority then that's cool and that's your thing.  I'm sure my day will come when I slow it down but, right now I am enjoying the ride, exploring other mountains and searching for powder.
I don't get two pow days a year. I was talking trips far away.
14-15 Season:

12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
what is your home mountain
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Glade Runner wrote
skimore wrote
Glade Runner wrote

Idk I'm not familiar with the terrain but, I'm assuming it was a gully.  He was just trying to dig himself out when I came upon him.
best to stay out of that area
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote
  They had one groomer track up the slope.  So we would skate on it to get up to speed then launch into the big wide open powder.
And how fun is that?
It was a lot of fun.  But, actually thinking back to Plattekill.  I had a lot more fun ripping high speed first tracks down Northface on 18" on Valentines Day one week after a 15" storm.  I had way more speed going down 1000 feet of vertical on a double black than the slow main trail at Snow Ridge.  
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Glade Runner wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote
  They had one groomer track up the slope.  So we would skate on it to get up to speed then launch into the big wide open powder.
And how fun is that?
It was a lot of fun.  But, actually thinking back to Plattekill.  I had a lot more fun ripping high speed first tracks down Northface on 18" on Valentines Day one week after a 15" storm.  I had way more speed going down 1000 feet of vertical on a double black than the slow main trail at Snow Ridge.
Understandable. I don't ski really fast so for me personally it's different. And I'm sure Plattekill with first tracks with 18 inches was fun
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I've had Plattekill with 4 feet of fresh but the whole time I didn't even know what I was missing. Must have been about 25-3700 feet at Snow Ridge!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
PowderAssassin wrote
Follow the thread carefully. See who started calling who names. I never said anything personal to him. He then starts talking all kinds of shit including cursing at me.
I'm just not willing to looking back to see who said what. If you read what I wrote, I never said GR was a saint.  I said something like "we expressed our opinions without telling the other they suck."

I mean I guess he loosely called me a fool but instead of flaming him and telling him he was an asshole, I tried to see his point (I do see it) I explained my way of looking at it and he kinda said, maybe I see your point.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
PowderAssassin wrote
 I don't ski really fast so for me personally it's different.
Then why all the whining about tree skiing being slow? You're really all over the place

Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
skimore wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
 I don't ski really fast so for me personally it's different.
Then why all the whining about tree skiing being slow? You're really all over the place
Dude, you're trying to keep the thread going?  I'm not all over the place at all. But for you this might be difficult to undertand. So I'll explain Slooowly for you. Ok? Now put on your "special" thinking cap and listen.....

Obviously I ski faster than the crawl through the super tight woods, but I don't go 40mph. It's called in between speed.  I ski safely. Normal cruising speed. If you ski really fast through trees, it's really dangerous. This really needs an explanation? Please tell me how NVT gets more pow than telluride. Let me hear all about it.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

where's the snow
^^^^^^^
this is a funny thread
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack