|

Re: pow

PowderAssassin
ScottyJack wrote
Bro, you r def doing it wrong.
Well I need lessons from you.

And yeah I know about areas like magic.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

skimore
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
Bro, you r def doing it wrong.
He's an expert at replying to his own posts
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
Its not my fault you cant find powder.  Instead of going to killington on a powder saturday why dont you try one of the lesser known places that no crowds goto.  Do the busy places on weekdays.  Ive rode powder all day till the last run plenty of times just last year.  When its busy i go into the woods.  But you cant do that so it sucks cause its tracked out and icy on the trails.  Its your fault for having a one dimensional ski game.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What is the Ideal Amount of Snow?

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Glade Runner
Think of all these variations of skiing as different sports. When I ski trees (aka bumps at Gore) I take it one tree at a time, very slow and I love it. PowA likes to fly in open terrain. Snoloco likes the consistency of corduroy. Whatever... think of them as different sports.

Glade Runner wrote
Once you hit mid to late season, you are a fool to ride 500 vert when nvt has 100% coverage.
I've got to disagree with this for me, for my sport, of skiing...

I don't get much powder. Life, family, job, all kinds of stuff conspires to keep me from skiing untracked lines in beautiful snow. Last March I hit Snow Ridge for the first time skiing with some guys who know the hill extremely well.  All day, without an iota of competition, we skied maybe 7000 vert of untracked. If I got 15,000 feet of untracked all season I'd be surprised.

I'm not a fool, I'm just a guy who likes something different than you do.  If I was a soccer fan would it be easier to accept?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
Lesson 1 make the most of every moment. Life is too short to wait for optimal conditions. Ski every day like it really matters. Lesson 2 when skiing less than stellar conditions focus on training and building endurance for when the pow does come... Lesson 3 bring skins and ski during storm cause onda ec big storms often followed by big wind... Lesson 4 learn prevailing wind direction and you shall find the snow....
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Hoping you got permission to use Jeff's pic.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
Lesson 1 make the most of every moment.   Life is too short to wait for optimal conditions. Ski every day like it really matters.

Lesson 2 when skiing less than stellar conditions focus on training and building endurance for when the pow does come...  

Lesson 3 bring skins and ski during storm cause onda ec big storms often followed by big wind...

Lesson 4 learn prevailing wind direction and you shall find the snow....

Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Hoping you got permission to use Jeff's pic.
No. Take it down if it's a problem. There's nothing special about that pic anyway. Just making a point. It's a picture of trees. lol
14-15 Season:

12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Glade Runner wrote
Its not my fault you cant find powder.  Instead of going to killington on a powder saturday why dont you try one of the lesser known places that no crowds goto.  
I just said I would never go to a place like killington on a weekend. To be honest, I wouldn't go there ever.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote
And dont forget most nvt mtns have 4 to 5 times the vertical snow ridge has.  Im only going to snow ridge when they have snow the others dont.  Once you hit mid to late season, you are a fool to ride 500 vert when nvt has 100% coverage.
Yes of course I know the difference in vertical. I listed it. It's the EC. You can't have everything. You make your choice.
I'm no fool. I know exactly what I like
Who gives a crap about 100% coverage when it's all hardpack? LOL Seriously the snow conditions suck the majority of the time unless it's snowed, which isn't very often. Too many crowds and it doesn't snow often enough. It's ice, scratching sounds on every turn even when they've groomed it. Most of the people skiing there don't even know what good snow is. It's silent and soft. Not that iced up machine made snow scratching really firm crap.

Weekends for the most part are of course a complete waste of time as majority of hills like killington, stowe(rip off), mt snow ect. because crowds are impossible. Weekdays is only doable day at most areas. Near Impossible to score fresh powder on weekends on trails. Maybe 2 times down assuming you get first chair before it's completely tracked out. Of course on top of it trails are narrow and majority is groomed at most new england areas. But there are some secrets for when/where to go to get some of the goods. But the weekday is obviously a must.
I dont mean to knock snow ridge, the snow is awesome but the trail steepness isnt really there and in the spots it is there, it seems like its all at once then you have to hike a lot of flat.  Def worth it if they have the snow and nobody else does.  The main wide open trail wasnt even steep enough to make it down without stopping.  You had to get some speed on the groomed path and hop in and out until there were enough tracks you could use to get speed and work your way into the trail.  Of course there was 4 feet of snow and fresh tracks lasted till final run.  The answer to the question is the best place to ride is the place with the snow.   I like trees and steeps but i like snow most of all.   I fully expect to be there for opening day every year now after experiencing last year.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Think of all these variations of skiing as different sports. When I ski trees (aka bumps at Gore) I take it one tree at a time, very slow and I love it. PowA likes to fly in open terrain. Snoloco likes the consistency of corduroy. Whatever... think of them as different sports.

Glade Runner wrote
Once you hit mid to late season, you are a fool to ride 500 vert when nvt has 100% coverage.
I've got to disagree with this for me, for my sport, of skiing...

I don't get much powder. Life, family, job, all kinds of stuff conspires to keep me from skiing untracked lines in beautiful snow. Last March I hit Snow Ridge for the first time skiing with some guys who know the hill extremely well.  All day, without an iota of competition, we skied maybe 7000 vert of untracked. If I got 15,000 feet of untracked all season I'd be surprised.

I'm not a fool, I'm just a guy who likes something different than you do.  If I was a soccer fan would it be easier to accept?
Ok so i may have been a little harsh about that.  I love a day at the mountain with no crowd.  But i also wait for full coverage before i start to take my bigger trips up north.   And i feel like a lot of it is exploring.  I still have lots of places to get to.  And im all for powder so anywhere with powder and a small crowd is good with me.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Glade Runner wrote
I dont mean to knock snow ridge, the snow is awesome but the trail steepness isnt really there and in the spots it is there, it seems like its all at once then you have to hike a lot of flat.  Def worth it if they have the snow and nobody else does.  The main wide open trail wasnt even steep enough to make it down without stopping.  You had to get some speed on the groomed path and hop in and out until there were enough tracks you could use to get speed and work your way into the trail.  Of course there was 4 feet of snow and fresh tracks lasted till final run.  The answer to the question is the best place to ride is the place with the snow.   I like trees and steeps but i like snow most of all.   I fully expect to be there for opening day every year now after experiencing last year.
It's kind of funny how Harvey basically makes the same points as me, but suddenly when he does you cower like a scolded dog in the corner and admit you're completely wrong. LOL

#1)You're in 4 feet of blower dry pow.....you don't stop! You have 500 foot vertical in deep pow that isn't super steep. You can ski it fine, just don't think you're going to go super fast, but you'll be going much faster than crawl speed tight tree skiing. I ski average/safe speed no matter what anyway. You should have no issues on the north slope trail if you know what you're doing. Most people don't know how to ski pow that deep on the ec

#2)How wide are your ski's? 100mm ski's are NOT wide enough for that type of snow. Not even close. That's west coast deep pow. You need a utah ski for that.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
And most of it depends on where you live.  I'd be happy if snow ridge was my home mtn for sure.  My home mtn is greek but, i feel like most of my time there is spent getting ready for bigger mtns.  Id def go for a smaller mtn for a home mtn if it was closer just to get my days in.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote
It's kind of funny how Harvey basically makes the same points as me, but suddenly when he does you cower like a scolded dog in the corner and admit you're completely wrong. LOL

#1)You're in 4 feet of blower dry pow.....you don't stop! You have 500 foot vertical in deep pow that isn't super steep. You can ski it fine, just don't think you're going to go super fast, but you'll be going much faster than crawl speed tight tree skiing. I ski average/safe speed no matter what anyway. You should have no issues on the north slope trail if you know what you're doing. Most people don't know how to ski pow that deep on the ec

#2)How wide are your ski's? 100mm ski's are NOT wide enough for that type of snow. Not even close. That's west coast deep pow. You need a utah ski for that.
Idk how wide they are without going out to look.  But they are line ep pros.  Like i said in a previous reply that im sure you didnt read.  I know they were prob one of the widest set there that day and they are the widest line makes.  I didnt have any problems riding 4 ft of snow.  Idk why u would assume that.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Glade Runner wrote
And most of it depends on where you live.  I'd be happy if snow ridge was my home mtn for sure.  My home mtn is greek but, i feel like most of my time there is spent getting ready for bigger mtns.  Id def go for a smaller mtn for a home mtn if it was closer just to get my days in.
I get it....500 vertical feet is not a lot when you're driving a long way. How far are you from snow ridge? I'm 4 hours away. I hardly ever get it there. Usually just watchiing webcams/radar. Get it once in a while. It's too far from me unfortunately. I wish that was my local mountain.

But are you close to northern vt mountains? Of course not. So who the hell wants to drive all that way for hardpack(what it is 90% of the time). Honestly, I've never skied greek, but you'll get more pow days at your local mountain(assuming they leave pow) than anywhere you have to get a hotel/drive hours and hours to get to. That's a once or twice a year thing unless you're loaded and/or have no job/commitments. A season pass at a hill less than an hour away is an absolute necessity if you really want to ski a lot. And yes I ski more than 12 times a year. LOL
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Glade Runner wrote
Idk how wide they are without going out to look.  But they are line ep pros.  Like i said in a previous reply that im sure you didnt read.  I know they were prob one of the widest set there that day and they are the widest line makes.  I didnt have any problems riding 4 ft of snow.  Idk why u would assume that.
ummmm because you said you were having problems
Eric Pollard's ski is wide enough for sure. 127 underfoot. Unless your ski is super old. IT should be about the same as a pair of hellbents.... like a water ski.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
yes they are like a water ski.  i don't recall saying i had any problems.  you must have just thought that up.  Though the top of the main run is flat.  There is obviously no way to ride 4 feet of snow on a flat.  They had one groomer track up the slope.  So we would skate on it to get up to speed then launch into the big wide open powder.  127 sounds about right they are probably 4 years old.  and they handle deep powder effortlessly.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
I'm also rocking them in my profile pic from 1 of 2 great powder days in February at Plattekill.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
One thing I wish it that snow ridge had cheaper hotels. Unfortunately the atv/snowmobile mecca keeps hotel rates high
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Glade Runner wrote
  They had one groomer track up the slope.  So we would skate on it to get up to speed then launch into the big wide open powder.
And how fun is that?
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
1 ... 111213141516