classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
160 messages Options
1 ... 5678
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where this weekend?

witch hobble
Looks like you New Yorkers are getting snow.

Pouring rain at my house, might be a mix at elevation but Cannon and Tenney are both closed for the day due to high winds.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Snow in WV.  More importantly, snowmaking started up again in northern VA and WV early this morning as the front moved through.

I'll be skiing at Massanutten this weekend.  Meeting up with a few friends from DC.

May use the Indy Pass to see what Bryce is like for a few hours when it's 100% open.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Boy last weekend worked out GREAT huh.

This weekend, I've got one day at Plattekill or maybe Magic.

Saturday new snow on top of hard base, or Sunday sunny and 45 degrees?

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Whiteface again this weekend.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
Sugarbush and either MRG or the Snow Bowl.  
Reply | Threaded
|

NYSnowflake
In reply to this post by NorEaster27
Some vanilla turns at Okemo and Mount Snow... or will it be Vanilla Ice?
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Mount van Hoevenberg.  Last race of the year, maybe the last skiing of the season.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Peter Minde wrote
... maybe the last skiing of the season.
The first thing that popped into my head was “shut your whore mouth” but I guess since you Nordic guys are a little different then the rest of us I will bite my tongue.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Brownski wrote
Peter Minde wrote
The first thing that popped into my head was “shut your whore mouth” but I guess since you Nordic guys are a little different then the rest of us I will bite my tongue.
The Lake Placid Loppet was cancelled yesterday; they're down to about 15 km of track.  With probable rain tonight and Friday, I think both Mount van Ho and Prospect will be done.

Sjusjoen in Norway has a reputation for great skiing in March and April, but that's not possible for me this year.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I'm planning on skiing this weekend, but I have no idea where I'm going to go.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Peter Minde
Peter Minde wrote
Brownski wrote
Peter Minde wrote
The Lake Placid Loppet was cancelled yesterday; they're down to about 15 km of track.  With probable rain tonight and Friday, I think both Mount van Ho and Prospect will be done.

Sjusjoen in Norway has a reputation for great skiing in March and April, but that's not possible for me this year.
Sorry to hear. My comment seems naively out of date now. At this point it seems like a race between the weather and corona to shut down our season early.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Sunday is the Kandahar Race at Greek. I enjoy watching the race so I'll most likely ski/watch/ski/watch/ski/watch until I get bored, then go for a snirt run up to the cabin.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
What is the Kandahar Race?

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
It's a kids race that my buddies parents started many years ago. They always hand out the trophies so that's fun to watch.
Turns out it's been cancelled. Shit.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: This weekend?

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Benny Profane

Bump
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Kandahar series is the defacto State championship for u12 age group but it also has a component for u14s that don’t qualify for their state championship
It has a sectional and state level
it happened several weeks ago but was not a Greek this yr as they now move around and the Easterns version of it the Piche was cancelled

Here are the results from them

https://nyssra.org/race/?raceType=unscored
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
http://polarbearskiclub.org/info/kandahar-history/

My buddies Dad was the original sponsor of the first race ---- we used to have 3 ski shops here

For being a small hill in CNY, Greek Peak has a rich history in ski racing.

Kandahar History
History of the Kandahar Race in NYS
This piece was originally created as part of a Ski Racing Magazine article through the combined efforts of David Wenn, NSA Headmaster and Head Coach at Greek Peak in the early ’70s, and Paul VanSlyke, owner of Twitchell Sportswear.

Kandahar began in 1974. It is estimated there were about 80 racers the first year. Now we have over 600 racers and families each year who participate state-wide. It was created as an opportunity for kids who did not make state teams to continue racing throughout the season. The Kandahar name comes from the original sponsor of the race, Chip Armstrong. The name of the shop was Chip’s Kandahar in Cortland, NY.

Since the first year of this Jr III, IV, V race NYSSRA has sent a state team to Gunstock, NH for the Buddy Werner Championships – now called the Piche Invitational. Development level ski racers gather from all over the east to clinic together on Friday and race on Saturday in March. Fun is abundant at both our Kandahar Series and in Gunstock.

For years Kandahar was run at Greek Peak. These wonderful events were prior to sophisticated snow making equipment. No matter what, the Greek Peak Ski Club got this event off. The race has always been a two day event. Families from around the state became acquainted and all present pulled together to make it happen. This event has always embodied some of the best aspects of ski racing, including friendly, healthy competition in a fun, family atmosphere. The foundation of the original event was based on the idea of athlete development and outdoor fun. Kandahar continues to this day to promote the same purpose.

Kandahar was held at Greek Peak until about 1991 and then began to move around the state. It has been held at Brantling, Holimon, West Mtn, and Gore Mtn. Due to the huge success and participation of this event, the Kandahar became a regional festival event in 2002, with Kandahar Festivals being held in the eastern, central, and western regions of the state. The top finishers from each of the festival event then compete at a state-wide Kandahar Championship held at a different location each year.

Note: The history of the Kandahar dates back to the early 1900’s. Sir Henry Lunn organized what can be called the first formal Alpine Downhill in Switzerland in 1911. At stake was the Kandahar Trophy (donated by Lord Roberts of Kandahar, India). Sir Henry’s son, Arnold is credited with inventing the modern slalom in 1922 in a competition at Murren, Switzerland as well as with championing the push to include alpine skiing in the Winter Olympics. After a combines event at the 1936 Winter Olympics, Alpine Skiing emerged in its own right in the next Winter Games in 1948 with downhill and slalom events.

Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
Peter Minde wrote
Brownski wrote
Peter Minde wrote

Sorry to hear. My comment seems naively out of date now. At this point it seems like a race between the weather and corona to shut down our season early.
No worries.

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Day trip to the ADKs.

Well, through the ADKs.  Headed to Plattsburgh tomorrow to clear out my son’s dorm room.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Keeping it strictly local for now.  Local open spaces with few humans, only shopping for what's necessay.

Would dearly love to do a day trip to the 'Gunks or Catskills after mud season, but that  probably isn't happening.
1 ... 5678