classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
256 messages Options
1 ... 8910111213
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

Skidds
Well, whatever happens, I'm glad the friends we are going up with on the 23rd decided weeks ago that they didn't want to ski.  They aren't big skiers, and just want to hang around at the resort, hit the pool, shop, etc.  When we booked a month ago they asked, will there still be snow then?  Sure! I said.  I'm glad I won't have to explain that I was wrong.  Downloading would so not be their thing, as they are ture beginners.  If AS is right it sounds like beginner terrain could be limited by then.  

Anywho, souonds more and more like the golf clubs will def be coming, though the bikes will probably stay home.  We have Fri/Sat/Sun.  Just need to decide which days will be ski days, and how many.  Colder temps Fri and Sat night might make Sat/Sun the best days.  If we don't get up there till late morning Fri we would probably miss the best (least sticky) conditions of the day.
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
very few bare spots yesterday--only in the usual spots--top of lower sky, top of lower mac--but they were easy to get around.  clouds stuck around down low most of the day so that saved some damage.  skyward still has a ton of snow.  the rain last night and this morning didnt help, but we will definitely get two more weekends.  Whiteface has a big bag jump scheduled for next weekend, they arent going to cancel that. After that there is always skinning up.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
thanks for the local beta Pants!  Must be nice to ski on a Thursday!!!!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
You guys have much more of a clue than me.  Please share your opinions, advice....I'd love one more day at Whiteface this year, be it Sunday or Monday.  I'm about an hour and a half away.  I can't do both.  Suggestions???
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
why not gore sun wf mon?
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
I'm off to Gore this morning and will probably head over first thing tomorrow morning for a couple of last runs there.  Monday at Whiteface sounds good to me so long as it is open and conditions are worth the trip.  The more ski days the better!  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions - March 17

ausable skier
Nice corn today and perfect blue bird day.  The fog in the am really helped keep things better than they would have been otherwise.  Skyward was sublime and Mt run area nice in the morning.  it was way better than i thought it was going to be.  The deck party was rocking.  Sunday should be great and next week good too.  Hearing that next week is going to be down loading.
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

skisheep
Great day today! Still decent coverage on alot of trails. Lookout mountain is looking pretty thin but other then that they will make atleast next weekend. After that-who knows? Summit area was defiantly the place to be!
ORDA and New England Passholder. If it's fast, it's probably fun.
2014-2015 season days
Whiteface: 2
Sunday River: 4
Loon: 2
Hunter: 1
Belleayre: 1
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Warm and sunny day today at the Face.  My son had a race and I'm nursing a sore knee so i didn't get to the summit.   He came in 2nd in his age class which was a nice way to end the season.

Great time at the ski school picnic!

It was nice to chat with Campee and HPD on the deck.  That campee is one big dude.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Just got back into the country and am thinking what the heck happened.  I was hoping my season wasn't over yet.  Will Whiteface be open during the week?  I couldn't find my answer on the website.  I'd love to come up on Tuesday.
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
Looking for feedback on today's conditions.  It's a 90 mile trip, is tomorrow going to be worth the trip?  Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
That was a weekend.  Fun fun fun.  Going quick but the hill is still open all days.  Decent cover for summertime weather.  
Lookout chair done for the year.  One more week.  Meat fest on tap for sat.  The shit show lives on.

Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
snowhunter please report on what you ski tomorrow as I will definitely head up Tuesday and just want to know which skis to bring   Thanks for the update TJF  I didn't want my season to be over yet
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions - March 18

ausable skier
the fat lady is singing...I see no way that WF will make next weekend

The only hope to stay open is for downloading and both Niagara and Lower sky are super thin in spots and its just too warm to for the groomer to push more snow into the spots.  They did that last night on lower sky and by lunch you were hitting rocks left and right.  The base is just not there and it just too damm warm.  Mt run still has snow but approach will not last so it won't matter if you can't get there.  As i predicted 7 weeks ago blowing Lookout cost WF at least another week of skiing - that 2.5 miles of 2 feet deep snow would have probably help make it to easter if put on key trails instead of Wilmington trail

It was 76 in the parking lot when I left at 1ish today.  It was 83 in ausable forks at 2ish.  4 more days of this and forget about it - its over.

If you got out early it was a fun morning with huge soft bumps on the upper mt.  Another bluebird day with a very dry strong wind early that was a little nippy but quickly warmed up and then was downright July type ADK hot.
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
ausable skier wrote
....... was downright July type ADK hot.
Scary but that's what I was thinking as I was raking my yard this afternoon after sneaking some runs in at Gore this morning.  There is just no way that things will last.  My yard is bare (usually 4-6" at the bare minimum this time of year, and usually much more), the sun was hot and the bugs were out in full force late afternoon.  I spent part of the day looking at the pool wondering when we'll be opening it and thinking about putting on the A/C (as the inside of the house hit 80!).

Still I have this urge to head up there one more time.  I'm thinking I will but no promises until morning and I see how I feel.  Thanks for the info and feedback.  I'll be sure to report on what I encounter if I do head up there.
Reply | Threaded
|

skisheep
In reply to this post by ausable skier
Its getting pretty dicey out there, even from the morning to afternoon you could see a huge difference in cover. They probably will barely make next weekend, probably downloading, but after that? Forget it. Blowing lookout was a huge mistake, which probably cost us at least 3-4 more ski days. Decent cover on a lot of stuff off LWF, but, with approach getting very thin, it's probably not going to make it too much longer. GET HERE WHILE YOU CAN!

-skisheep
ORDA and New England Passholder. If it's fast, it's probably fun.
2014-2015 season days
Whiteface: 2
Sunday River: 4
Loon: 2
Hunter: 1
Belleayre: 1
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Defending blowing lookout.  That trail was the shazizzle sat.  Big steep bumps completely off the hook.  Most people gape it myself included but there is not better place to learn the bumps.  One mistake and you are toast.  Sky/lowe sky was a bump fest all weekend.  They started to get spread out sunday leading to some really fast lines on upper.  Lower there were a little closer together but were getting funky.  Hard to keep a line.  Ladies drop was a hoot.  It is only five six turns but you are in the air for most of them and it was soft soft soft.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
I'm OK w/ Lookout Mtn receiving gunpow this year.  You could bury the regular melt zones w/ 20 feet of gunpow and they still be thin w/ this weather.

Plus lookout below rocks it w/ the soft steep bumps...  And having that lift helped move the crowd those "crowded" weekend days..  

I did lobby to hold off on lookout but looking back I feel they did the right thing.  Will have to agree to respectfully disagree w/ ya AS!

MEAT FEST!!!!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
Defending blowing lookout.  That trail was the shazizzle sat.  

Our crew would confirm this
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
campgottagopee wrote
tjf1967 wrote
Defending blowing lookout.  That trail was the shazizzle sat.  

Our crew would confirm this
+2.  Was much fun.  WF had no crystal ball to let them know that it wasnt going to snow at all.  Had they known, I am sure the plan would have been different.  Its 70 degrees out, wouldnt matter anyway.  The snow is going..  They will however be open all week.  Just bring your rock skis.
1 ... 8910111213