256 messages Options
1 ... 678910111213
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions - Sunday March 4

campgottagopee
Thanks for the intel.

Looks to me that temps (up there), for the most part, are still quite cold at night....that should set things up nicely for some good March fun in the sun
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

ScottyJack
We'll be in great shape for your arrival.    We have an excellent base and it was -2F this morning!  She's locked up all glacier style.  Warming up mid week, colder end of week, mild for the weekend but nothing overly damaging.  And it's gonna snow on St. Pat's weekend!  

Make sure you guys have a DD for Sat night.  Lots of peeps are already planning on staying in Wilmington.  Lucid show will bring in some serious fun.  You guys are in for some larry off the charts entertainment!  I'd say a bit more than the normal winkytown boozing!!  

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
ScottyJack wrote
We'll be in great shape for your arrival.    We have an excellent base and it was -2F this morning!  She's locked up all glacier style.  Warming up mid week, colder end of week, mild for the weekend but nothing overly damaging.  And it's gonna snow on St. Pat's weekend!  

Make sure you guys have a DD for Sat night.  Lots of peeps are already planning on staying in Wilmington.  Lucid show will bring in some serious fun.  You guys are in for some larry off the charts entertainment!  I'd say a bit more than the normal winkytown boozing!!  

FWIW, there's NOTHING "normal" about what we do, so me thinks we'll B just fine....the 10PM thing could cause an issue that far away from SL. Usually we find ourselves "tacking" our way thru the streets of SL in search of Broadway Betty by then, but we'll get something figured out for sure.

ps, checked out Lucid....pretty stoked to hear them play
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions - March 7

ausable skier
A sunny, wet and sticky day at WF today.  Temps hit 60 at the base around noon and were certainly in the 50's at the summit.  Wind hold for summit and lookout in the am but got going 11ish.  The high water content snow which is not yet corn was very slow and sticky.  I stuck to the summit trails when they opened and all were good.  Upper cloud is getting very thin and may not survive the rain forecast for the next few days.  

Unfortunately the slides did not open - the Patroller i asked said with two races going they didn't have enough staff to man the slides.  They looked good - hope they make it thru the rain since I haven't had a chance to get in there yet this season.
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions - March 7

Skidds
Thanks for the report.  I was there two years ago during the same race, same deal with the Slides, not enough patrol to cover.  Tomorrow could be a great day...wish I didn't have two meetings scheduled.
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
This post was updated on .
I'd be suprised if they open the slides on a cloudy day with a big line of rain on the way.  I think they like the sun to get on the surface and soften it up and they won't want to clear them in low visability and rain.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
That makes sense.  I think it's great, given how dismal this season has been in the snow department, that they got them open when they did.  If the forecasted warmth holds, you think we will see them open again, barring some new snow?  I'm not too optimistic....
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
I'd be surprised if we see  the slides open again this yr but you never know. Looking at the 10 day forecast it's not pretty, highs around 50 for all next week and some rain. I remember skiing the slides in mid April 07 as it was dumping. Lets keep our fingers crossed.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Looks like Whiteface may be getting some snow up high.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
It poured rain for hours before it turned to snow last night.  WF reporting 2" new but I would expect that the rain losses were much more than 2".  Not heading up there today - its going to be a glacier.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
I did a quick one and out this morning.  Snow held up well.  Def picked up 2-4 inches.  What's groomed is good.  What's not is well not so hot presently...  

A good ole Whiteface rodeo.  Pow on top, hard packed below.  W/ the cold the groomers will be out in full force tonight so tomorrow will be flat, fast and super grip.  

Sunday will be supreme w/ temps in the mid to upper 40's.
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
was up to wf with fixedheeln. With all the rain, cold behind was plenty nervous. All things considered thought the mt skied well. Started out on the gondi found it firm down the middle soft & quet on the edges.rode quad then racer chair quite enjoyable.went to load summit quad liftie gave very unfavorable report slid over to summit triple really enjoyed wilmington soft edges even creamy towards bottom. Overall good day with any & all conditions encountered through out the day.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Nice to have day when you'd rather be there than anyplace else
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
WF reporting 6 of fresh
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
I'm sure there will be those who will disagree with me, but the reality is, conditions today were pretty poor. There was definitely a lot of fresh snow from mid-mountain up, and there were some spots that were fine, but overall, it was a lot of fresh powder on top of a skating rink. They even had to cancel the NJR Super G race today due to conditions.

That said, the run of the day today was, of all things, Lookout Below. I lapped it 4 times in a row between 12:00 and 1:00, and it was awesome!!! Nice and soft, great lines down through the bumps ... I kept getting to the bottom and saying that's it, but I couldn't help but go right back up again!!!

I'm thinking tomorrow's going to be even better!!!
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
fixedheeln & I were out early 2nd cabin this morn plenty of fresh soft quite lines for a good part of the morning.as the day wore on things definitely got more slippery.tho wf was reporting 6 new it was fluff & dry , wouldve preferred a lil less with more moisture to adhere to the now firm base. We did have a good fun day skiing all around the mt.
Reply | Threaded
|

outlaw 1
dude get ur ass back too gore where u belong,cook out tomorrow,,hope u r there.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
fixedheeln is into rippin it it up here no weekday stuff for her she's counting runs & vert .needs to get maxed out. We ll invite everybody over for  a cookout when the snows gone .she s really into the vibe here might make it our home mt.
Reply | Threaded
|

outlaw 1
yea rite,too bad you dont drink that much,u could become one of those pump house boys..and oh ,happy birthday,(a little late)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions -March 10

ausable skier
The first hour or so was good with about 6" drifted to 12 in spots on the summit area.  Unfortunately as Face mentioned this was over a skating rink.  Those first runs where you hit bottom about every 3rd turn were nice after 10 or 10:30 it was pretty nasty.

Once all this gets groommed it it should be pretty nice today before i turns to slush.  Based on Wednesday I expect it to be sticky later today.  Ski until 1 and grab a spot on the deck for some beers
1 ... 678910111213