256 messages Options
1 ... 78910111213
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

freeheeln
This post was updated on .
fixedheeln & i headed out early again today ,roamed around  found nice groomed cord all about early.hit mt run just about the right time found it to be  very rippin. caught the summit chair just after it opened sweet stuff ,lapped the top for a while.rolled out before it got to sticky .looking like it was gonna be real sloppy & real busy  super sunday -$35 lift tickets brings out alot of skinny skiis & jeans .had a great time under bluebird skies.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions - March 11

ausable skier
blue bird but windy today

it seemed cooler than the weather guessers said it would be but that probably was due to the wind, the sun was strong and the snow baked out.  Skyward stayed nice well into the late afternoon.  Went over to upper cloud and that is pretty much toast.  The snow is going fast down low I'm really concerned about making it to easter with the current forecast.  Looks like this was the last weekend for Lookout and wilmington. In about a week we'll all be saying why the heck didn't they blow more on the key trails and leave Wilmington unblown.  Note that I said this about 6+ weeks ago.

I think that if it was not a super sunday with big crowds and marginal skiers the slides could have been open today.  Biggest lift line on a non slides day on the summit chair I can ever remember.
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by freeheeln
freeheeln wrote
had a great time under bluebird skies.
awesome!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
UpperCloud and Lookout Below on Sat!  Could not believe all the snow in Uppercloud!!!  glades were good too.

Skied new slide in the Wilmington Range on Sunday.  In a good snow year it will be loads of fun.  Yesterday was very boney at the top through the middle.  Quite the adventure.  Middle was excellent w/ a dozen turns in an 8-10 foot deep drift under the ledge.  Bottom was pretty baked but not goup.  

Made it back to the WF for the sun deck scene.  Place was packed!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
ScottyJack wrote
UpperCloud and Lookout Below on Sat!  Could not believe all the snow in Uppercloud!!!  glades were good too.

Made it back to the WF for the sun deck scene.  Place was packed!
 Upper cloud was a rock garden by Sunday afternoon - can't imagine it will be open much longer

deck was jammed until past last call - good times
Reply | Threaded
|

skisheep
Does lookout mountain have any chance for making it to next weekend(wilmington trail)?

Anything else besides cloud that you think might be done this week?
ORDA and New England Passholder. If it's fast, it's probably fun.
2014-2015 season days
Whiteface: 2
Sunday River: 4
Loon: 2
Hunter: 1
Belleayre: 1
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
I think Lookout will be done for the year in the next day or so.  It was 46 degrees at 5am this morning and is pouring cats and dogs right now

Upper cloud certainly is done now.  Lower skyward is probably also not going to make the weekend.

Kids kampus is probably not going to make it thru the rain and other flatter trails will be in trouble.  They may have to think about plowing down the terrian parks to keep stuff covered.

Mt run zone blacks should be ok but getting thin and will be in trouble for the weekend of March 24
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by skisheep
Lookout Mtn Pod may be done this weekend.  

Empire is def done.  glades too.  I'm confident the lifts will spin through 3/25..  After that (nuking rain right now  ) it's a crap shoot....  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
frikkin depressing... was planning a trip up for 3/24
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
dont bail.  the gunpow trails will ski great.    
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
rain stopped!  that suppose to be the worst of it!  mayb brief showers on Friday but sun is what we'll see a lot of for the next 7 days....
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
Still planning on an April 8th closing date, with a possible bonus weekend the following.  I would still plan on  a March 24 visit.  Lookout mtn and kids kampus closing during the week as of March 19th, but lookout will re-open for weekends condits permitting. the rain today was nowhere near as bad as they said. We at the very least have two more weeks, most likely three.  stop yer bitchin.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
We are coming the 23rd through the 25th.  I don't have worries about the lifts spinning.  How many trails?  That's another story, but there will be great spring skiing to be had, I'm certain.  Yes, I will lament the coulda beens.  End of Feb there was looking like we coulda had an epic March, but it wasn't meant to be.

Now, I'm more upset about the usual non-skiing winter things we won't be able to do.  After all, March 20-something should still be winter up there!  I'm sure there will be no ice skating, or snow shoeing.  Stuff like that.  One thing I always thought would be neat would be to ski and golf in the same weekend.  Given the relative lack of snow cover all year, and the recent extended warm weather.......is there any chance any of the golf courses will be open by the 24th of March?  Courses down here that usually don't open until April opened on March 1.  Heck, maybe I should throw the bikes on the car! Is biking the toll road in play?
Reply | Threaded
|

BigK75
My plan is to pack in as many Ontarians as I can and get there Friday night then ski Saturday and Sunday on March 24, 25.  Then drive back back Sunday night.  It will have to be good weather for me to come since its an 8 hour drive so i am keeping my fingers crossed.  

Claude

Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
In reply to this post by Skidds
Biking the toll road could def be in play next weekend.  I may check it out next week, so I give a report.  Snow melts pretty quickly off of the pavement.  Golf, def not still way to muddy.  Next weekend will be good for sure, all the trails that have snow making will be in play, will just need to be wary of the rocks poking through.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
Cool, look forward to your report if you do make it to the toll road.  I can't even believe a discussion of biking on Whiteface in March has ensued.  How horribly awful!  
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by Pants
The golf course over in Ray Brook will be open.  You can probably play over there today.   Its a quirky nine hole course.  Nothing to write home about but it is golf.
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
Holy heat wave batman!  forecast is for high 60's on saturday and 70 on sunday.  Ski for 2 hours max and start drinking beer at 10:30

Forecast for next week is really grim with warm sunny temps and not freezing at night until late next week.  This weekend could be the end of the line.  Where are my golf clubs???
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
ausable skier wrote
 This weekend could be the end of the line.  
Nah, there will be skiing the following weekend and probably the weekend after that.
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
Noah I hope you are right but I really doubt it.  The base is not nearly as deep as normal and this forecast is very dire looking.  I think next weekend will be marginal at best with up / downloading requred - I don't see any way to make the week after. The bottom is going to be toast after Sunday.  There is only about a foot of base left on Valley.

Its pouring here now and  there are 6 days in a row of 60's temps (3 in the 70's).  Do you remeber a few seasons ago where it hit 70 and the snow was melting literally in front of your eyes.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/lake-placid-ny/12946/march-weather/339681
1 ... 78910111213