307 messages Options
123456 ... 16
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

ScottyJack
mattchuck2 wrote
the bumps on the skier's left of Lower Cloudspin (or whatever you WF guys call it)
It's called Victoria's now.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
It used to be a narrow, twisting trail that existed on its own as a classic New England-type run. Way back, before even Paron's Run came into the top, it was one of my favorite trails.

I don't know. Maybe my opinion is overly harsh because my memory is clouded with nostalgia. But when I was a kid, I begged my parents to let me do Excelsior again and again.
Damn you're older than you look in pictures!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
ScottyJack wrote
32, getting older every day. In fact, the stubble on my face appears to be coming in gray now... Not good.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
ScottyJack wrote

I laughed  

Except at the top I only remember it beinng about one cat track width wider now than it was back in the day.

When its groomed and not busy it is a fun Super G course - try skiing it with only one more turn between the corners

I'm 46 and my whole beard is now grey
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Zippy
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
It used to be a narrow, twisting trail that existed on its own as a classic New England-type run. Way back, before even Paron's Run came into the top, it was one of my favorite trails. After Paron's, and especially after the Gondola was installed, it became a superhighway for borderline intermediates (most of whom, while they may be intermediate at other mountains, should probably stick to the Kids Kampus at WF until they develop their skills a little more).

With the trail widening came an increase in the number of trails that go into Excelsior and out of Excelsior (along with an increase in people using every one of these arteries, desperately trying to find an easier trail because they have gotten themselves in over their heads). As more people used these "bail out" trails, they had to be widened to accommodate the groups of people. So, what used to be a classic, skinnier, winding trail became an overpopulated, over widened, over interrupted, soulless trail that seems to be mainly used as a catchment for poor skiers.

I never ski it when the rest of the mountain is open. It's almost too annoying to use as a way to get from Point A to Point B - in fact, if the bumps on the skier's left of Lower Cloudspin (or whatever you WF guys call it) are no good, there are plenty of other ways to get to the summit lift from WF that are more enjoyable (usually with less crowds and better snow conditions).

I don't know. Maybe my opinion is overly harsh because my memory is clouded with nostalgia. But when I was a kid, I begged my parents to let me do Excelsior again and again. The trail that's called "excelsior" now doesn't inspire the same feeling.
I'm not much of an downhill skier (I'm more of a cross country skier) but this was nice and fun to read.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
mattchuck2 wrote
the bumps on the skier's left of Lower Cloudspin (or whatever you WF guys call it)
It's called Victoria's now.  
Matt

I call it Lower Cloud but I know that ticks you Gore guys off
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
Ditto Coach Z, It will always be Lower Cloud.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
attn:  attn:  this is a conditions thread, not a back in the day we called it this thread.....

Snowing making cranking on Victorias!  Cranking on VICTORIAS!!!!!  

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
Essex skied great today...everything open did... Victoria looks ready for tomorrow same with boreen ...they blew a ton of snow on both. Picked up an inch for 2 in the snow squall today also.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

skisheep
Reporting 5" this morning!
ORDA and New England Passholder. If it's fast, it's probably fun.
2014-2015 season days
Whiteface: 2
Sunday River: 4
Loon: 2
Hunter: 1
Belleayre: 1
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Anyone considering skiing the toll road in the next 2 weeks should be aware of the following:

Whiteface highway being plowed for generator work
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
Why would you ski the road when the mountain is open? Just curious...
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
This post was updated on .
11/30/12

Outstanding packed powder, machine made powder!

Perfect corduroy on Excelsior, Lower Northway, Upper and Lower Valley

Victorias was spectacular man made velvet!

O yeah, powder POWDER turns on left edge of Essex!

Essex!

Victorias!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
That is NICE!!  buiding my set up.  DP was the call.  There some sharks in that last pitch.  Winter is settling in up here.   5  inches on a 2 inch base.   It snowed all week and now its getting warm for the weekend.  I bet it sucks tomorrow. WOOT.

Hey ausable wipe the sauve off your vag.  You bust my chops for the most part of a year and I nail you and you take your ball and go home.  your posts are entertaining and thought provocative.  I enjoy reading them and look foward to reading more in the future.  I am sorry I hurt you feelings.  Have you seen me skiing yet.  I dont know who you are yet but I have an Idea. GEEZ.  they get the the blues jacket r
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
In reply to this post by pro2860
at night, for exercise..
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
Some people dont downhill either..its just a popular cross country trip
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Really good day at Whiteface today.  For Dec 1 the conditions are fantasic with considerably more terrian open than normal for this time of year.  The crowds seems pretty big and the Gondi lift line was about 10 mins but everyone just seemed happy to be skiing on such good snow.

Best runs of the day were lower Northway for groomed runs and Lower Cloud (Victoria) for bumps.  After lunch some fog rolled in combined with flat light and it was time to get out of dodge after a few runs when it got hard to see.
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by Pants
Ahhh...thanks for splaining...
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Best runs of the day were lower Northway for groomed runs and Lower Cloud (Victoria) for bumps.
Essex -> Victoria was the pick of the weekend if you were looking for bumps.
I was about 20 mins late to the freshness that SJ posted, but it still skied really well until Noon or so, and stayed pretty good after that.

and then this happened.

now that the dynafiddles are here, it's time to mount up the new skis.

So far, Whiteface was kicking some (Gore's) early season ass.
Yeah, I said it..
I still like skiing trees at Gore better.
But I haven't gotten into the Sugar Valley glades, yet.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
Not you too?!
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
123456 ... 16