307 messages Options
1234567 ... 16
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

ScottyJack
12/3/12

Soft bumps and soft cord! Watch for some thin spots on tower 10 hill on lower valley.

WF will "weather" this warm up just fine.  Huge mounds of snow piled on Essex, Victorias, brookside/lower boreen.

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by freeheeln
freeheeln wrote
Not you too?!
I think one of Whiteface's advantages (early season) is being in Lake Placid and having all of the Off hill stuff all ready to go, and not having to divert any resources. I noticed that Gore was making snow at the Ski Bowl Tubing area on Saturday afternoon/night. That's all well and good (I understand the desire to get that open), but I'd much rather have seen those guns on Topridge, Pine Knot, and Hawkeye.

And it's nothing to say that WF is skiing better than Gore right now. Of course it is - it's colder for longer up there (a couple of degrees makes a big difference). And they've gotten more natural snow. I still stand by my statement that I prefer Gore even though WF might be better off right now, just like I can prefer bourbon, but find a gin and tonic refreshing once and a while.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by tBatt
Ouch

sorry to see that core shot!  Where did it happen?

Funny thing about Whiteface is the rocks that stick thru are connected to the mountain and tend to be be there every time it gets warm and thinner.  I seem to remember and avoid that stuff.  I skied on new skis thru the weekend and didn't hit anything.

One trail I try to avoid is John's Bypass - that is always rocky.  I skied it once and then avoided it the rest of the weekend.

SJ had a good comment about the whales that are piled up everywhere.  I expect that they will not move them until after the warm temps end and they will be plowed out on Wednesay morning when it gets cold again so that they have snow to push around to cover the bare spots.  Good move on Aaron's part.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Dec 8

Z
Nice soft snow today at Whiteface. The threat of rain must have kept everyone away as it was not at all busy.  The snow was hero snow and everything was groomed except Essex.  We need it to get cold and stay that way.  Still there is more open than normal for early Dec.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Looks pretty sweet.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Ouch

sorry to see that core shot!  Where did it happen?
I think it was under the face lift on L. Valley. Trying to get fresh tracks in 5" of new with no base.

Threat of rain (and threat of spending gas money) kept me away, too. Less (of me) is more (for you)!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Saturday was super soft.

Sunday was super slick.

Guns were roaring on Mountain Run all Sunday.  Will be back on as soon as the temps drop.  We may be skiing mtn run by Friday...

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Guns going!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

sepandee
In reply to this post by Harvey
My friends and I are coming down to Lake PLacid to hit Whiteface in the middle of next week (Monday-Thursday). I'm hoping the conditions will be decent by then. What are our chances of getting some good skiing/snowboarding done???

First post :)
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I'm using up my vacation days for bills paying job and will be skiing Friday so I will post how it is.  Based on the forecast the chance look pretty good to me for next week.  There is a Noreaster coming in next week so we should get some snow but they also can bring wind to Whiteface.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
In reply to this post by sepandee
Chances are great next week, have fun in LP
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

sepandee
Coach Z wrote
I'm using up my vacation days for bills paying job and will be skiing Friday so I will post how it is.  Based on the forecast the chance look pretty good to me for next week.  There is a Noreaster coming in next week so we should get some snow but they also can bring wind to Whiteface.
Thanks, coach! Let's hope for snow by itself. Let the winds blow some other time.

Chris wrote
Chances are great next week, have fun in LP
Thanks! I sure hope so.

While I'm here, I may as well ask about Lake Placid. We're between 27-29 years old in my group and staying at the Crowne Plaza. What interesting things are there to do in Lake Placid apres-ski? I hear there's something interesting breweries there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
I skied at Whiteface yesterday (Wednesday).  Conditions were excellent, best day (out of 4, the other 3 were at Gore) for me so far this season.  It was amazing how well the mountain recovered from Monday's rain in just 36 hours.

Trip report and a bunch more photos are here.

Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Pub and Brewery is a good place to hang out for a few beers.  10 minute walk from the CP.  Dancing Bear has a good happy hour.  Clean good TV and cheap beer.  ZIGZAGS and Rumors for late nite shananigans.    
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
tjf1967 wrote
Pub and Brewery is a good place to hang out for a few beers.  10 minute walk from the CP.  Dancing Bear has a good happy hour.  Clean good TV and cheap beer.  ZIGZAGS and Rumors for late nite shananigans.
Yup, that's the loop

ZIGZAGS has da fooz. None of these WF guys can play so you should be able to clean house and drink for free all night
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
This post was updated on .
12/14/12

Sweet Dawn Patrol this morning!  Everything is resurfaced and quite the "well groomed" mtn!!  

Essex (still not groomed) is blown in again.  Great grip skiers right.  The mogul chop was burried so good lines were forming when I left.

Victoria was just perfect in the early morning sunrise!

Head of Patrol JR Hoyt approves!

Guns working down approach top of mtn run to parkway/thurway.  We may be on Mtn Run by Sunday!

Tomorrow is gonna be real nice!

(Forgot my cord so can't download pics till tonight...  )
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I agree with Scotty - things are in very nice shape with the best groomed conditions of the year IMO.  Mt. Run should open early next week.  I enjoyed my half day off - 6 Gondi runs in a morning is pretty good.
Reply | Threaded
|

sepandee
I guess this is good news for me! Hopefully I can make it there by noon on Monday and be on the slopes by 1pm. Yay :)
Reply | Threaded
|

skisheep
So assuming that the rain on tuesday does not do too much damage, and that we get some snow thursday-friday, what will the outlook for right after christmas be like? Is there usually a pattern to the trails that they make snow on, after the main routes are covered? Last year we had the summit open on the 28th, assuming no more rain after tuesday, what are the odds of it opening before new years? Will be there the 28th-31st and was wondering what might be open.

Thanks,

-skisheep
ORDA and New England Passholder. If it's fast, it's probably fun.
2014-2015 season days
Whiteface: 2
Sunday River: 4
Loon: 2
Hunter: 1
Belleayre: 1
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
Nice pics. Whiteface is definitely one photogenic mountain.  Seems like it's hard to take a bad pic there. (Hickory and Plattekill too IMO).

Skisheep.. would you share the story behind the screenname?

And welcome sepandee.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
1234567 ... 16