classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
332 messages Options
1 ... 567891011 ... 17
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

ScottyJack
WF is in a preserve mood.  you know, sometimes you have so much of a good thing you put some in the freezer and take it out down the road....

Our base is solid all over and not going anywhere.  A couple of storms and late April 4sure!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Super good jam band at WF this Saturday!!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Big race for my son this weekend.  Kandahar is here for 1st time in my memory
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
Coach Z wrote
Maybe that explains all the traffic coming up on the Northway tonight ... seemed quite heavy for a Thursday night.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
Hoyts!!!

I was fortunate enough today to be arriving at the top of the Lookout Mountain lift as ski patrol was preparing to drop the rope to Hoyt's High. After about a 5 minute wait, with about 20-30 others, the rope was finally dropped and everyone took off.

The top part of the trail had been groomed on Friday evening, and they groomed the bottom part Sunday morning, except for the final section beneath the lift.

Rounding the first turn, we were greeted by about 3 inches or so of fresh powder, sitting on top of a frozen corduroy base. People were ripping down, and the snow was flying. About 2/3 of the way down, we reached the point that had been groomed this morning, and things changed to a machine groomed packed powder. After the final steep pitch, we reached the ungroomed section ... let's just say, thank goodness for groomers!

I did two more laps, but by the third lap, the top was already getting a bit skied off.

I still have to say, that trail, when it's in good shape, and you can just ski it from top to bottom without thinking about it, is definitely my favorite trail at Whiteface.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
Thanks for the report.  Headed up next weekend, bringing another family with us. Their first time at Whiteface.  Beginner to intermediate skiers.  Given the forecast for the week (cold and dry) the conditions next weekend should be exactly what they were this past weekend.  Overall how did the mountain hold up....or more specifically, how soon did the trails (especially Excelsior, Valley, Paron's and stuff off the Mountain Run chair) get skied off?
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
Skidds wrote
Thanks for the report.  Headed up next weekend, bringing another family with us. Their first time at Whiteface.  Beginner to intermediate skiers.  Given the forecast for the week (cold and dry) the conditions next weekend should be exactly what they were this past weekend.  Overall how did the mountain hold up....or more specifically, how soon did the trails (especially Excelsior, Valley, Paron's and stuff off the Mountain Run chair) get skied off?
It was a pretty typical Whiteface day. The groomed trails were all pretty good through the morning, with the exception of Victoria ... it was skied off at the top by 10:00. I didn't ski in the afternoon either day, so I can't really say how things were, though I'm sure many of the "usual suspects" were pretty skied off.

It was also more crowded than it would typically be this time of year because the Kandahar race, which is normally run at Gore, was hosted by Whiteface this year. That definitely drew a lot of "extra" skiers to the mountain.

To your point, with the current forecast for the next few days, and then a little bit of a warmup for the weekend, I'd think things will be pretty good.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
We had a blast at WF last week!!

Never know who you'll bump into in the pisser ---- HPD, was nice to get the chance to say Howdy

Face, thanks for making a couple runs with us ---- always fun to ski with someone who knows the mountain

SJ, TJ, and Noah ---- good to see you guys and have a few beers

Again, thanks to all for the hospitality
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Coach, the Kandahar Race was originally started by our buddy #14's parents many, many years ago here at GP. They were the first ski shop at GP as well, Chip's Kandahar. GP had this regions Kandahar Race over the weekend too. I always love watching those little shits rip it up.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Was at da face myself Sunday. Was riding the chair as the Piston Bully was chewing up Hoyts. Had to come back later to try it out. Nice trail, the ice bumps at the bottom were fun. Sure looks like no chance for the slides though, a lean year.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
This post was updated on .
Awesome Blue Bird day and it actually felt warm and something for everyone...bumps, powder, groomed and there were even some trees.  Great Day at the Face

Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Gore season long mountain adventure kids invade Whiteface tomorrow. If you see any black "rumor mill" jackets steer clear - some of them bite
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Fast firm and foggy on Saturday. Forecast was for a little snow in the AM and a warmup to 32. Unfortunately it never really snowed or warmed enough to soften things up. The fog made it a little tough on the summit and the top of lookout (vertigo go go). The lack of snow between president's week and now was noticeable. The best snow I found was on the Wilmington trail. Hoyts was groomed and fun too. Mountain Run and U/L Wilderness had good snow on the sides. Ducked into high country glade and it was firm and a little thin. There is a good base. With some snow later this week conditions will improve greatly.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
Skied the weekend with some friends (intermediates, first time at WF) so I didn't get to everything.  Did peel off for a couple runs with my daughter on Cloudspin. Best runs of the weekend, best snow on the mountain.  Skiers right has lots of snow.  10th Mt. Div and High Country glades were thin but fun.  Base has set up well, hopefully a significant dump this week will get Cloudsplitter Glades and Blazers in play.

Beyond that the groomers were generally good, with the usual snow to the edges, hard in the middle afternoon result. New snow would definitely be welcome to combat the ice potential, as a lot of trails with cover have been closed at times the past week for safety due to hard pack/ice, including Lookout Below, Essex, Upper Northway, Hoyts, lower Skyward, I think MacKenzie and one or two others.....and after looking at Lower Skyward from the lift I can see why.  For the most part it looked like concrete, except where it had a shine.  They roped off Essex yesterday, which looked like a desolate stretch of concrete.

Even though some new snow will be welcome, it was a good weekend on the mountain, and I'm looking forward to a little more winter before a nice, long spring season.  Our Easter break starts April 14 and I bet we'll get a three day weekend in....and skiing with the Easter Bunny is a good possibility.

Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
O BOY O BOY O BOY!!

Upper cloud yesterday was awesome.  venturing further into the middle, and it's about to get exactly whats needed!!

Skied upper lower of the sugar valley from our secret goat path and it's also about to get what's exactly needed!  SVG will be in play for St Paddy!!

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
Need info people.....was anyone there today?  Did the Gondi or LW lift ever open?  Is everything off of Approach and the Mountain Run area untouched?
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
yes..no..yes..no
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
Forgot about the Freeway lift.  I'm sure everything will be great tomorrow, but Cloudslpitter, Empire, Mackenzie and Wilderness should be spectacular.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
second windy powder day this year.  Both times I was able to get all over the mountain.  Pretty impressive, the winds were fierce at times.  

The wind picked the snow and blew it over to Vermont.
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
In reply to this post by Skidds
Pretty sure I skied Mac and Wilderness yesterday. People do hike you know! And yes, racer chair was open.  Quite sure there was nothing left untracked after yesterday!

Also - ronkon actually pushes girls out of the way and steals a chair....so not sure how "Core" he is
1 ... 567891011 ... 17