classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
332 messages Options
1 ... 45678910 ... 17
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

snoloco
They will be even closer soon since Upper Northway is being blown.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Winds were howling but the lifts kept spinning. Summit closed down around 11:15. W chair spun all day. Gondi never came online.
I would say 10-13 inches.  First tracks early. Good funky skiing all day. Sugar valley glades need another storm. It looked real pretty in there...like a fish in a bowl.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
tjf1967 wrote
 . Sugar valley glades need another storm. It looked real pretty in there...like a fish in a bowl.
That's one nice thing about here in CNY, doesn't take much for us to get into our woods -- we don't have those massive rocks that need to be covered, just a little brush and crap like that.

Praying for WF to get pounded in the next week!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
campgottagopee wrote
Praying for WF to get pounded in the next week!!!
You better pray harder ... right now, things aren't looking too good towards the end of the week.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Attn AzzClowns:

We should be on the hill Sunday 2/23 by noon ---- we'll look for you guys in the bar once the lifts shut down

TJ, got your drinkin sneakers  ready??
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I found I Jesus and gave up drinking.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Cool, you saved me 5 bucks ---- I'm buying the first round

I'll pray for you to snap out of it --- God hates quitters ya know
Reply | Threaded
|

ADKarver
Skyward, Skyward, Skyward…Mountain Run was good too. Much faster than Saturday, but still able to get a great edge. Anyone try Upper Northway? How was it?  This post is the work of my 12-year old daughter.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Sat whiteface had its second best day ever.  The gondi line was 15 minutes at 11:30.   Never waited in another line.  Never went below mid station.  The look out chair is never crowded.  Powder from Friday settled a little and it was soft snow all day. Look out below was as good as it gets, I almost think it was better than Friday,  the snow had the same gripction not leaving doubts that you may slip out.   Oh yeah it was snowing and 20 degrees.
Sunday was windy, kinda like Friday and they got the lifts spinning.   An observation as they have been spinning the lifts a lot more this year.  LWF may be howiling but WF and lookout are not...as much.   Happened Friday and Sunday.  I never noticed before cause you could not get up the hill.  You may have to work your way  but once up you never have to worry about lift lines.  
Monday was cold and wind packed.  No problems getting traction but  the powder was packed.  Could have used more traffic to loosin it up.  Rode up the Gondi with a family of 5 from LI staying 5 days at the High Peaks Resort(They must have been dropping some serious coin).  They usually go to Vermont Presidents week, last year it was Statton. I am guessing after yesterday Vermont will not see them again.   Never said a word to them but thought to myself, after these condition and the experience of Lake Placid they are hooked.

From Friday through Monday WF processed  15k skiers and I waited on one gondi line 15 minutes.   Whiteface rules.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
I also talked to a guy from Conn. who always went to Vt. and had never been to WF cause he thought VT. was the place to go. He loves WF and so do the kids. They could not believe how short the lift lines where on Pres. weekend compared to the VT mountains he had been to.The best thing for that family was that the wife doesn't ski and had been kinda an itch on ski vacations before, but not so this time. She loves LP and can't wait to come back because there is so much for her to do when the rest of the fam is skiing. Tonight all of them are going to see the Globetrotters in LP. They are loving life in WF?LP area.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
Whiteface today in a word ... Freakin' Awesome!!!

Ok, that's two words ... sue me!

(I know the use of the word "awesome" in a ski conditions report bothers some people, but I'm too lazy to got into explicit details.)

Let's hope that tonight and tomorrow's weather doesn't do too much damage!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Good to hear

Hopefully she holds up good ---- temps dropping like a rock when we get there --- no shorts this year
Reply | Threaded
|

madskier6
In reply to this post by Face4Me
I'm glad to hear conditions are good at Whiteface.  I will be there Saturday 2/22/14 with my daughter who is a St Lawrence Univ student & am hoping for a good day.

I haven't posted on this Forum much although I registered a couple of years ago.  I used to post quite a bit on Alpine Zone & some on Ski ADK.  I really like the Harvey Road site & forums.

I remember skiing at Whiteface in April 2008 with highpeaksdrifter, tjf67 & face4me.  Any of you guys going to be skiing Whiteface this Saturday (tomorrow)?
Jeff
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
madskier6 wrote
I'm glad to hear conditions are good at Whiteface.  I will be there Saturday 2/22/14 with my daughter who is a St Lawrence Univ student & am hoping for a good day.

I haven't posted on this Forum much although I registered a couple of years ago.  I used to post quite a bit on Alpine Zone & some on Ski ADK.  I really like the Harvey Road site & forums.

I remember skiing at Whiteface in April 2008 with highpeaksdrifter, tjf67 & face4me.  Any of you guys going to be skiing Whiteface this Saturday (tomorrow)?
I remember you!!!

Yeah ... I'll be there tomorrow ... I'd be glad to meet up with you and take some runs.

The snow was great this morning ... real soft, wet, "Hero Snow", but visibility was pretty rough. You had to ski really close to the trees up top to avoid the vertigo.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
Amazing how your senses can get turned upside down when visibility is bad.  Maybe I'm getting old, but I've had vertigo issues twice this season on Skyward when it was socked in.  One time I actually sheared off a baby pine at the right side of the trail when I hit it....and I had no idea I had gotten that close to the edge of the trail.  That was a little scary!  
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Attn AzzClowns:

We should be on the hill Sunday 2/23 by noon ---- we'll look for you guys in the bar once the lifts shut down
Make sure you've got sharp edges!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
They are....no matter what we gonna have fun fun fun!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
ZigZags !!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
What's the 411 after the mini-thaw last week?  Lost Hoyt's, Lookout Below, Lower Sky, Upper Mac.  Mountain just protecting skiers from icy conditions after it locked up?
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
Skidds wrote
What's the 411 after the mini-thaw last week?  Lost Hoyt's, Lookout Below, Lower Sky, Upper Mac.  Mountain just protecting skiers from icy conditions after it locked up?
Yes ... There's still plenty of snow on all of the trails listed above, however, they were a bit ... shall we say ... firm.
1 ... 45678910 ... 17