classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
317 messages Options
1 ... 45678910 ... 16
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

JTG4eva!
Today was a great day.  Cold, but manageable.  Key today was getting out early.  I think the cold kept people in bed for a while.  Hit up first tracks, which was a great run as usual.  Skied from 8 to 11, at which time the crowds had arrived and it was beer o'clock.  Before lunch Excelsior, Mountain  Run, Victoria, Skyward and Niagara were excellent.  Soft and carvable.  Sure, a dump of powder is always superior, but the conditions on Skyward early were close to as good as it gets.  Paron's early was about as good as I've seen it.  After a Mary/Maker's 46/Ubu (that was just me) lunch it was back at it .  On the snow just past noon, the crowds were in for lunch and lines were once again non-existent.  Holiday weekend....pish!  My bros and I wondered what contributed most to Whiteface MLK "crowds"....the holiday, Chevy, or the World Cup Freestyle event that has been MLK for a few years.  Without the World Cup event it seemed a little less crowded.  Skied until 3:00, when Ubu and Mary were calling our names.  Yes, we could have gotten a couple more runs, but the value of a couple more skied off runs with more than a couple people on them didn't compare to the band and booze to be had in the Cloudspin Lounge.  What can I say.....getting old.  Or getting smart?

Great day, planning on being on first lift tomorrow, although Genteman Jack may not be of the same opinion!!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This post was updated on .
The black trails held up really well today.  Skyward and Wilderness both were outstanding all day.  I heard Excelsior was a hot mess this afternoon but that U.S. to be expected on a holiday weekend.  I always avoid that when it's busy anyway.  

Raining now and it's freezing on the roads.  Be safe out there.  Don't drive tonight if you don't have to.  

JT - take it easy on the sauce at lunch if you are going to be skiing after.  Drinking what equals a 6 pack for lunch is not cool.  If you hit and hurt someone while skiing drunk it won't end well for ya.  Not worth losing your house over after you get sued.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
thanks for editing out the hunter comment, hope it treats you guys well for the race day this spring!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I edited my post taking out the reference

I have not been to Hunter in 10 years.  If the past I had observed a busy bar there in the morning.  I'll take ML's word that things have changed.

I can't obviously drink when I'm working.  In the spring when I'm not working I might have one beer at mid but hard drinking and skiing are a dangerous mix IMO.  I'm far from a tea todler but I think it's place is after not during a ski day.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Today was awesome! All snow above mid!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
It wont be long now.  W trail will be open by the time I get back.  Two more trails after that and we are ready for some snow.  Upper mountain  natural trails are in play from what I hear.  Not even a core shot to fix
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I'm sure people can find their way down......of course from the lift I saw a guy cruise onto Lower Sky on Monday.  Tempting with the new snow.  Didn't get too far before one of his skis did a telltale pull back/hesitation and he uttered a four letter expletive.  He quickly traversed out from there and a visit to the shop may have been in his future.

Helps to know how to pick your spots!
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
How do you traverse out of lower sky?
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Guy came off Crossover Loop and hugged the far left of Lower Sky from there.  Had what looked like some nice powder.  He didn't get too far when he ventured too far from the side of the trail, where he proceeded to snag a rock.  Seeing as he only made it a couple hundred feet down Lower Sky he was able to cut to his right and traverse across the trail and get up to Weber's.  The crossover through the woods from Victoria was probably the best way to get goodies on Lower Sky, if you didn't mind ducking.  Being with the kiddos I wasn't going to teach them to do that.  They'll learn for themselves when the time is right!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Cold as heck but some nice wind crud on the left sides of many trails
Reply | Threaded
|

gkny
Had a day trip today at Whiteface, another midweek perfection: conditions are unbelievably good (if you like groomers), holding all day everywhere on the mtn. My favorites were the Wilmington on Lookout and Paron's from the summit:

(Had the same experience and impression 2 weeks ago regarding the conditions. Amazing with hardly any major natural snow since who knows when).
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Wind and cold......but Hoyt's is worth it!

Drove up this am, regretted on the way up not getting here until 9:45.  No matter, at 10:15 the Bear lift was the only option.  That to Freeway for a Mountain Run/Valley warmup, and the Face Lift and Lookout were both on line.  Gondola, Little Whiteface, Summit all on hold.

No, gun "pow" isn't like boot deep natural blower, but it sure is sweet and silky.  Just have to be careful going from deep pockets of soft gun powder onto some of the blown hardpack spots, but Hoyt's is a lot of fun.  Mountain run, Valley, Boreen were all excellent.  Despite the lifts that are down, no lines for Mountain Run or Lookout.

Looking at it you'd think Lookout Below is close.  Guns are going.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Sunday lunch time report.

Wind is gone, all the lifts are turning.  Conditions are excellent.  Skyward, Valley, Boreen.  Cloudspin sure looks like it's got plenty of snow in all the usual good spots....too bad it's not open.  Lookout Below WAS close yesterday.  It's open today, with the best conditions I've ever seen on it.  Not bumped up yet (hopefully soon), no awkward whales.  Just soft and carveable top to bottom.  They didn't drop the rope on Hoyt's until about 11:30.  Was wondering why, because it was so good yesterday.  Started to wonder if it had gotten wind buffed and set up hard.  No, it is great today.  Few hard spots here and there in the middle in a couple places, but so soft skiers left almost the whole way down.

Forecasts are mixed, but if they get a foot +/- Monday things are going to be really, really, really good.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Anybody ski Monday or yesterday?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Last time I checked the snow totals we were at 73... that was last week.  We are now at 94.  That on top of the snowmaking I would say it is pretty much up to speed.  Sunday was the last day I was there things were pretty sweet.  I am sure you can ski anywhere on the mountain, trees , trail, slides...there are certainly things sticking up just avoid them.  Terrain being roped  is a different story.  The glades are going to come online any day now. They are blowing on Northway.  Another week and the snoguns will go black.  The tribe will have completed there task and it will be up to ma nature from then on out.  
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
hows the face skiing?
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
Anyone ski today they say 10 new inches
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Power issues in am.  Everyone left

Probably the best afternoon of powder skiing I can ever recall at WF
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
Dam missed out should have went to the face instead of gore
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
In reply to this post by Z
Anyone ski today?  What's going on up there? WF reported 7" fri into saturday and 14" this morning....legit?

heard something about freezing rain?  Did that happen?

Considering driving up tonight - need real report please asap thanks
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
1 ... 45678910 ... 16