317 messages Options
1 ... 13141516
sig
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

sig
Skied the face today.  3-5 inches fresh on top. Did not arive until 11 AM so no fresh for me. Was with the family so did not ski much of the good stuff till late. Top remaind firm all day but lower half was nice and soft.  Trails I skied had good coverage
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Skied the Face Sat from 930-2, and today Sunday from 930-3.  While yesterday was definately variable, today much different in a good way.  

Top runs today: Paron's, Skyward, Drapers, Mac (U and L), L Northway.   Worst: Essex.  Mt Run skied off early, but fair.  Best snow: Appoach (!) and Wilmington Trail.  W Trail did not make top 5 due to surprise bolders in the trail larger than softball (rock, not ice).  

The mountian rocked today, bluebird most of day with random snow funnels (think 20 yard wide tornado) on the upper quarter of Skyward.  Cool and fun but total whiteout for 15 seconds while they passed.  Strong too!    They seemed to huddle above the bears and hit the trail and occasionally the lift most of the day.

No slides open, but the positive of that is ZERO base damage, missed the above mentioned random bolders, its in great shape.  Get it while you can.   Quiet from a people perspective also.  
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
closed out my season at whiteface - finally got a beautiful spring day in on Friday with highs in the 60's and great soft snow. Temps dropped along with a few inches  Friday night/Saturday to end the season on a pow(ish) day with variable conditions (there needs to be a word meaning more variable than variable!) on Saturday.

skunked again with no slides opening but a great end to the season just the same - mrs SnoBunSki was skiing WAY out of her comfort zone both days, ran into powderqueen & company for a few runs and stoked to see jr huck a 3 off the big rock on the Wilmington trail!

psyched to make it through the season - getting me some new parts (total hip replacement) in 3 weeks!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
gorgonzola wrote

psyched to make it through the season - getting me some new parts (total hip replacement) in 3 weeks!
Whoa....here's to a full and speedy recovery bud
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Easter Sunday easter egg hunt lead to serious stash of spring pow.

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gorefarmhouse
Don't rely know what to say about today other than; it was perfect.  
Just perfect.  
The whole family together, sunburn because we forgot the sunscreen, perfect side by side turns on U. Skyward with my 12 year old rippin" daughter, legs like jelly sipping a frosty beverage on the sun deck at the end of the day.  
Today was the kind of day that gives the reason why, when everyone is sitting on a summer beach with a cold one, you are the one wishing for snow sooner than later!
Moment of Zen.
Reply | Threaded
|

evantful
I was up at Whiteface the 8th and 9th.

The 9th was fast running, the spring conditions from the day before hardened up well over night. The lack of sun and temps that barely climbed to the mid 30's with a solid breeze kept everything pretty hard. It will still fast and fun, coverage was pretty excellent still all over the mountain.

In the evening of the 9th it snowed about 5 inches and setup the first half of the 10th to be an epic April day.

Whiteface received a great blanket of snow all over the mountain, upper mountain maybe getting 2 more inches.
With temps right at 30 at days start everything skied perfectly. By 12-1pm the lower mountain became hell on the legs. The fresh snow combined with sun made for the stickiest snow I have ever skied in.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
  What s way to close out our ski season ,soft snow  sunshine . You White fasers have hell of mountain
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
2 completely different days, Sat vs Sun.  Today, Sunday 4/12 - WOW.  Fantastic. Just Fantastic.  Hotys, Skyward, U and L Mac, all just incredible.  Just soft enough that is not quite hero snow (at least before noon) but so much fun.  Kudos to the WF Operations team this season.  

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Super day  today.  A bit breezy but bluebird sunny

Everything up high was great but to me Hoyt's stood out as the top run.  I lapped it until my legs couldn't go anymore.  Skied thru lunch and called it at 2.  Great party on the deck afterward.

I hope that wasnt the end.  Word is they are going to decide Wednesday if WF will go one more weekend.  Based on the cover and crowds I'm guessing we will be skiing next weekend.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
WF web site says we are skiing again the weekend
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
Kind of confusing, under the "Conditions" section of the website it says, Whiteface will be closed Friday through Sunday, reopening Sat  and Sun 4/18 & 4/19".  
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Yeah, they buggered that one.  Just got the email......open Sat and Sun for 'one last weekend of skiing and riding'.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Looking forward to reports on conditions tomorrow afternoon......will help me make the call on heading up Sunday!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
It was decent spring skiing.  Warm air aloft Friday night with temps in the 40s overnight at the summit.  I think it actually was better where they didn't groom.  The summit was ok but with heavy piles.  The LWF zone skied the best.

It is narrow in the normal spots due to snow lost this week.  Below mid was pretty thin and narrow but with no Gondi  and the LWF running you only go down there on your last run

Rained about 1pm and we called it

Sunday promises to be much better as it's going to freeze overnight so they can groom.  It's supposed to be bluebird and high 50s a classic spring ski day.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Too cold this morn
Waiting for corn to thaw out
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
After a cup of coffee everything had thawed out

Entrance into Skyward was tricky but patrol did some shoveling and many of us helped side slip some snow onto the rocks

Not crowded at all for such a nice spring day

Great season.  I was able to nurse my sore knee thru to the end.  My son had a break out season in his skill development and his race results matched that.  He achieved almost all his goals for the season.  Fun was had by all.
1 ... 13141516