772 messages Options
12345 ... 39
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

marznc
snoloco wrote
Facelift was installed in 2002 replacing both the Valley Triple and MidStation Shuttle Lifts.  The Valley Triple ran the full length and the MidStation Shuttle only ran up to the bottom of Mountain Run, providing direct access to the lodge and those lifts.  Facelift doesn't have a mid station because it was too expensive on a detachable so that's why there's no direct access to that lodge anymore.  While direct access to that lodge was lost, direct access to LWF was gained with the gondola.  Good move IMO.
Interesting to read the recent history.  I only skied Whiteface a few times in 1968-70 as an intermediate.  The only part that I can remember clearly is the bridge.  The changes to the lifts made the place feel very different when I skied WF again in 2014.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Was there ever a single chair to the summit at WF?? For some reason I remember one being there back in the  80's while skiing there in college. Maybe it's all a dream..... can anyone confirm or deny?
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Pas de
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
I understand that there was a double that went to the warming hut (now hose storage for snowmaking) with a poma that went from the warming hut to where Summit lets off now.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
marznc wrote
I only skied Whiteface a few times in 1968-70 as an intermediate.
You look a lot younger than that in your avatar.

campgottagopee wrote
Was there ever a single chair to the summit at WF?? For some reason I remember one being there back in the  80's while skiing there in college. Maybe it's all a dream..... can anyone confirm or deny?
No single.  SBR must have had the same dream (read the comments):  Whiteface Mountain, circa 1986

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Adk Jeff wrote
marznc wrote

campgottagopee wrote
No single.  SBR must have had the same dream (read the comments):  Whiteface Mountain, circa 1986
That is HILARIOUS!!! I swear I remember that. Was it maybe a double with the pole in the middle of the chair or something like that??
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
Pas de
Hmmmmm, sorry me no speeky Tontoism
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
D.B. Cooper wrote
I understand that there was a double that went to the warming hut (now hose storage for snowmaking) with a poma that went from the warming hut to where Summit lets off now.

Ok, I'm easily confused so I must be mistaken.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
campgottagopee wrote
D.B. Cooper wrote

Ok, I'm easily confused so I must be mistaken.
I read that as "one lift" (as opposed to a double-double like LWF/Mt. Run).  I guess what you meant is a single chair a la MRG.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yep ^^^^ Single chair like MRG
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
campgottagopee wrote
Any old timers correct me if I'm wrong on this one.

Whiteface as it exists today started in the early 60's on Little Whiteface.  Not sure what the lower mountain lifts were, but there was a Riblet double where the LWF chair is now.  Hall replaced it in 1978 with the lift that exists today (which was later heavily modified by CTEC and Doppelmayr).  The old LWF chair was moved to the summit, and ran to where the bears are now.  

There was a Hall double double installed where the Facelift is now in 1976.  One side went the full length and the other ended at the Midstation lodge.  CTEC upgraded the full length side to a triple in 1988 and some of the Hall parts were used to build the Mountain Run chair in 1989.  They added their own tandem towers and chair frames to the Mountain Run side, which is why it has those wonky looking chairs with CTEC frames and Hall seats.

In 2002, the Triple-Double was replaced by the Facelift.  The CTEC parts were used to build the Topridge Triple at Gore and the Hall parts were just scrapped.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
marznc wrote
That pic was taken when I was over 50.  Turned 60 this year.  

North Country School is a junior boarding school just south of Lake Placid.  Has 200+ acres, including a ski hill with a rope tow.  That's where I learned to ski long ago. I graduated from 8th grade (last grade) in 1970.  My daughter graduated in 2016.  She got to be at NCS for three years since 9th grade was added a while back.  Difference for skiing is that I got her on skis at age 4 even though we live in NC.  She was an advanced skier skiing the harder terrain (off High T, Devil's Castle) at Alta by the time she was 12.  I had to work hard in recent years to stay a better skier.  Although she shifted to telemark at NCS so slowed down in terms of technique improvement.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
campgottagopee wrote
ScottyJack wrote
Pas de
SJ has gone Hinterlandian
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by snoloco
http://directory.nyskiblog.com/Whiteface-Mountain-Ski-Center-td4646997.html
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by freeheeln
freeheeln wrote
campgottagopee wrote
ScottyJack wrote
Pas de
SJ has gone Hinterlandian
That's what I was thinking. He must be preparing to skedaddle when Trump wins.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by Harvey
Marble Mt tower bases still there, sled shacks too.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Here is a great writeup on Marble Mtn:
http://www.albany.edu/asrc/assets/MarbleMtnArticle.pdf

Hikeing the old lift line behind the Atmospheric sciences center is my preferred way to hike WF and/or Ester.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
This brought up a memory from the past, Greylock Glen.
When there were plans for a Tram to the top of Greylock, they developed a golf course and an entire ski area (lift towers are still there) at the base of Greylock right beside the Thunderbolt. It all went bankrupt before a single bull wheel turned.
http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/cancelledskiareas/Massachusetts/mtgreylock.php
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
They should reopen all the old terrain and connect it to Whiteface to be the largest ski area in NY, both vertically and horizontally.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
From the Marble mtn link....

" January 1958, an event that gained national attention when a power failure on the Riblet chairlift stranded the Governor, Draper, and others 100 feet in the air for more than an hour. "

Hey Sno, know anything about this brand of lift ?
12345 ... 39