772 messages Options
1234567 ... 39
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

PeeTex
mattchuck2 wrote
It'll take you a good hour and a half/two hours.

And don't expect a sick run. It's more just standing on your skis.

But it is our first chance of the year to slide on snow, so I'm taking it.
It's more about first bragging rights more than anything else.

I would prefer to just hike as I really enjoy hiking in the snow.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
The steepest Whiteface lift is the Mountain Run double with a 39% average grade, and the Summit Quad is in 2nd with a 36% average grade.
While % grade is a perfectly valid measure, I think slope degree is used much more often and is more meaningful.  After all, how many people have a frame of reference for a 100% or infinity% grade?  However, everyone can relate to a 45 or 90 degree angle/slope.  A trail at 45 degrees is getting close to gut check territory for just about any skier, a trail at a 45% slope (24 degrees) might give an intermediate pause.

Mt. Run itself is 26 degrees, or about a 49% slope, so the whole of Mt. Run lift trails at a 39% slope, or 21 degrees, makes sense.  
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by PeeTex
I disagree. Nordic skiing is awesome.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
snoloco wrote
The percent grade on the toll road is about 8-10%.  That's even less steep than Kids Kampus, which is about 12%.  The steepest Whiteface lift is the Mountain Run double with a 39% average grade, and the Summit Quad is in 2nd with a 36% average grade.
The toll road is a pretty steady 8% grade. Ride on a bike and see for yourself.
Meant to say 8-10% in my post.  Oops.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Nothing says "I'm a real fun guy" like coming in and giving statistics to people preparing to do something that they enjoy.
You said it was really flat to ski, so I looked up how steep it was and compared it to certain areas of the ski resort.  That has nothing to do with people enjoying it or not.  If you enjoy it, then by all means do it and have a good time.

Being an engineering student, I like to think of things quantitatively, so I like to give statistics on things.

You used to always flame me, but that stopped when I started arguing with PeeTex about politics.  I'm guessing that with the election pretty much a done deal that you'll go back to your old ways.
Reply | Threaded
|

Nicky Z
hey sno, eat shit!! Do us a favor and stay in the library and off the slopes!!!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
FKNA awesome.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Whiteface is reporting snow now.  Anyone who is skiing the toll road should be in business.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by snoloco
I never really flame you, and I stick up for you more than most people on this site.

But most of my advice to you has to do with you trying to enjoy life more. One way to do that is to let people have their fun, and not try to quantify everything you see.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Reading my original post, I could see how some might not like it for comparing skinning the toll road to Kids Kampus.  I was interested in what kind of a run you got after you hiked all the way up, so I looked up the slope of that road and compared it to some other trails that I've skied.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I was in LP for 4 hours at the pro night and I had close to 6" on my car.  It was nuking snow.  Roads were really nasty thru the notch but once you got down to 1300 feet it was not sticking to the road.  Toll road should have plenty of snow by morning.  Saw Ron Kon is up there tonight on FB.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Good one Harvey!

Sno....yes, you get a hard time sometimes.  But from many of us, who have lived a few years and been around the block a few times, after having been teenagers once ourselves....well, we know you need to expand your point of view and your horizons.  You are.  There are lots of different experiences out there, and you should embrace them all, give yourself the tools and the opportunities to explore and live.  The Toll Road ski is a perfect example of life being more about the journey (the experience of being out there, in the early season snow, the exercise and beauty on the way up, and scoring early turns on the down) than the destination (some low angle turns).  

It's gonna be a good season!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Some cold nights coming up.  Think they'll make snow?  Personally I doubt it.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
De toute évidence dépend des conditions météorologiques - croiser les doigts Le décompte de 10 jours......
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Someone take his e'ffing translator away!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
I'll say. His french is eiffel. Sacre bleu.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
just trying to help our Petit homme  Sno learn some Francis!  It will help him with the ladies!  

Most important thing to know - when in the Gondi w/ our friends from the North Sno - especially cute ladies and they are speaking the French - wait for a pause then shyly interject Excusez-moi, mon nom est Snoloco, parlez-vous english?

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Votre français est terrible  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|