classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1070 messages Options
1 ... 5051525354
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

ScottyJack
Did u submit these comments during the public comment period?
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
I think the only fixed grip with a mid unload is at Bellerye that I’ve ever ridden. That thing stops constantly.  The new bear lift will end up having to run super slow given the audience that Bear serves.  Will they also add a load station where i is now since mostly the lower skiers will be getting off and chairs will mostly be empty above the mid?  Plus you will end up with a lot of broke poles and green skiers ending up now up on blues.  Again clearly not well thought out or trying to do too much with one lift and and not succeeding at any of the missions it has.

Now if they put in a HSQ like they have at Alta with a mid load that would be perfect but I don’t see that happening.

It would be better to shorten I to the mid, leave Bear alone and put the new lift in.  I’d rather see a new lift on the other side of that ridge out of the prevailing wind running say from top of face lift to top of Northway.  You could open early season with down loading the Face and ski the north facing slopes including the new blue that they want to cut there.
Massanutten has a fixed-grip triple with mid-station unloading for intermediates so they can do the easier blue terrain.  Of course, would be green at a big mountain in the northeast.  Pretty close to Fox and Bear trails.  Relatively few issues with unloading.  It's not a fast lift, but comparable to Bear from what I remember.  I didn't have much trouble teaching my adult friend to load Lift 5 when she was still pretty much a beginner.  Her kids were riding Lift 5 by their second season, ages 5 and 7, 5-6 days during two holiday weekends, with ski school.

Do end up with people who ride to the top of Lift 5 who shouldn't because they don't ski well enough to ski the steeper pitch right near the top.

Why broken poles?
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
People break and lose poles at mid stations sometimes because they let them dangle and they get jammed into the ramp so that the force of the chair dragging over the top breaks them. I don’t know that it happens all that much but some times. There used to be a fixed grip with a mid station at Jiminy. I feel like there are others around too but I can’t recall where at the moment. It certainly wasn’t an uncommon arrangement in the old days. I spent a whole season working on an old riblet with two loading and two unloading stations both. Didn’t the old K-chair at Killington have a mid and maybe two loading stations?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Before the facelift there was a lift with a mid station just above the mid lodge.  Every weekend it would have 25 broken poles laying around it

We were talking about this at dinner.  My son that literally grew up WF thought these lift ideas were nuts.  His comment is what tourist is going to want to walk uphill from the lodge to this new HSQ?

His idea to improve capacity out out of the base and take pressure off the Gondi is make the facelift into a bubble chair preferably a 6 pack.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Z - changes to Facelift seem like a pretty good idea, although I like the sound of the new chair too.

Brownski, the old green chair at Jay had a mid unloading.  The orange bubble at Park City has a mid unloading.  I don't think there's a loading area, though.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
Before the facelift there was a lift with a mid station just above the mid lodge.  Every weekend it would have 25 broken poles laying around it

We were talking about this at dinner.  My son that literally grew up WF thought these lift ideas were nuts.  His comment is what tourist is going to want to walk uphill from the lodge to this new HSQ?

His idea to improve capacity out out of the base and take pressure off the Gondi is make the facelift into a bubble chair preferably a 6 pack.
I understand the problem.  Bent a pole once when I wasn't paying attention because I was taking a picture just before the mid-station.  But it's rare at Mnut.  Could be that the adv. beginners and intermediates are so nervous and the lift is relatively short so they manage to pay attention.

Lately I've been to several ski resorts/areas where a short hike uphill is required to get to the primary base lift.  Wachusett comes to mind. I think that's the case at Big Sky, which is mostly a tourist destination.  Not ideal but I don't think it's a deal breaker.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
From the base lodge at WF to where they intend to put this lift is well over 300 yards up hill.  Most tourist skiers will wait for a close parking spot at the mall  so do you think they want to walk that far uphill?  They will go down hill to the Gondi instead of 25 yards up hill to the Facelift even if there is a big line at the Gondi.

Common sense seems to be lacking

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
D.B. Cooper wrote
Z - changes to Facelift seem like a pretty good idea, although I like the sound of the new chair too.

Brownski, the old green chair at Jay had a mid unloading.  The orange bubble at Park City has a mid unloading.  I don't think there's a loading area, though.
Yeah, I think there are fewer now but mid stations used to be pretty common. Two loading stations was never a good idea though. The one I worked on was complete mayhem when the upper loader was in use.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Frosty!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Sucks about that elevator work. I was thinking about doing the toll road Sunday, but not so great if they're plowing it.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Its being plowed.
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I was going to ask about the toll road. Oh well-I’ll go back to clearing underbrush.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
That last one is wall worthy! Nice job.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Thx bro.  

Toll Road update:  Town will not plow till next week. Been snowing in Wilmington at 1000 feet and sticking.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Couple inches on the ground here in Keene valley. Roads are rough. No plows.  Maybe it’s just the mass and yellow plates doing 20 w flashers on.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Raining now.  Summit 4cast rain sleet rain...
I ride with Crazy Horse!
1 ... 5051525354