classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1070 messages Options
1 ... 48495051525354
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

snoloco
You could've hiked that any year whether they were open or not.  The only thing that made a difference is them having a lift open and in your own words that product was "messy and limited".  But you're still going to trump up what was at 2 out of 10 day at best to be "one of the most fun and unique days you've ever had at Whiteface".

I have had two days this season that really stood out and those were March 16th and April 22nd.  Looking at your pictures, that doesn't even come close to what I skied on those two days.  This was only my third time skiing in May, and both the other times I did it I was able to ski all the way to the lift every run.  That's a perfectly reasonable expectation for early May.  Whiteface would've achieved that if they didn't lose power since you would've been able to lap LWF and not go to the bottom.

Sometimes it's just better to close when still wall to wall than to open with such a disappointing product whether it's in their control or out of it.  I don't fault them for opening.  I'm all for places trying to stay open as long as possible.  However, I firmly believe that opening today was only done because they had previously committed to it, and because they felt they HAD to beat Bristol and block them from being both first to open and last to close in NY.  If Bristol didn't open on Tuesday, I doubt Whiteface would've opened once they realized that the power was out.

Really you're claiming that my honest report on the conditions today is some proof that "Sno is entitled" and that if he "got it" he would hike up.  I don't give a shit about what you hiked to.  It's not part of what Whiteface had to offer today.  They had a single WROD with a 150 yard mud walk and to me that's not worth skiing, even in May.

I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
Wow Sno, you just don't get it.

I have been bashed for being negative on here a few times (most rightfully so).....I get it sometimes something bothers us and we choose to air those feelings and others disagree but we want to stand strong on our opinions.  That said, I don't think that you are comprehending what people are expressing here.  Nobody is carrying on about epic turns, powder in May, etc.  they are talking about the spirit and soul of skiers and skiing.  Yesterday was a celebration of something that we share a passion for, it was about camaraderie. I was not there but I wish I could have been.  My work obligations prevented my from joining in but I was there in spirit.

Again, this was not about hiking through mud, lift service, etc.  You state that we can make these hikes anytime we want after the mountains close.  True, but this wasn't about that.  Whiteface opening brought more people together in a single place that we love to share in the experience.  You're not going to get that same thing hike up alone or with a couple of buddies (good times, no doubt, but a different experience).

Dude, your a kid.  I've silently agreed with you sometimes while others have berated you but reading your last few posts I get it why they do.  Stop.  Listen.  Learn.  There is so much more to life, to skiing, than how fast the lift gets you up the mountain, than how well groomed a run is, etc.  Stop bitchin' so much.  Learn to enjoy the moment.  Special times, special moments do not come along all that often.  That's what makes them special.  Stop being so negative and cherish these times.  Someday hopefully you will truly appreciate them.

And finally, in the spirit of appreciation.  I appreciate Whiteface's efforts yesterday.  I appreciate what they've done this season.  I've complained about ORDA at times but I had some fabulous days late in the season at both Gore and Whiteface and I thank them all for their efforts!  
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
+1,000,000,000.....
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
In reply to this post by Snowhunter
Snowhunter wrote
Wow Sno, you just don't get it.

I have been bashed for being negative on here a few times (most rightfully so).....I get it sometimes something bothers us and we choose to air those feelings and others disagree but we want to stand strong on our opinions.  That said, I don't think that you are comprehending what people are expressing here.  Nobody is carrying on about epic turns, powder in May, etc.  they are talking about the spirit and soul of skiers and skiing.  Yesterday was a celebration of something that we share a passion for, it was about camaraderie. I was not there but I wish I could have been.  My work obligations prevented my from joining in but I was there in spirit.

Again, this was not about hiking through mud, lift service, etc.  You state that we can make these hikes anytime we want after the mountains close.  True, but this wasn't about that.  Whiteface opening brought more people together in a single place that we love to share in the experience.  You're not going to get that same thing hike up alone or with a couple of buddies (good times, no doubt, but a different experience).

Dude, your a kid.  I've silently agreed with you sometimes while others have berated you but reading your last few posts I get it why they do.  Stop.  Listen.  Learn.  There is so much more to life, to skiing, than how fast the lift gets you up the mountain, than how well groomed a run is, etc.  Stop bitchin' so much.  Learn to enjoy the moment.  Special times, special moments do not come along all that often.  That's what makes them special.  Stop being so negative and cherish these times.  Someday hopefully you will truly appreciate them.

And finally, in the spirit of appreciation.  I appreciate Whiteface's efforts yesterday.  I appreciate what they've done this season.  I've complained about ORDA at times but I had some fabulous days late in the season at both Gore and Whiteface and I thank them all for their efforts!

I had to quote Snow's message because it's just so true.  

I couldn't make it up either, but I was also there in spirit.  Skiing in May isn't about skiing at all and I couldn't have said it better Snow, its absolutely about celebrating the spirit of the sport, the friendships and everything that goes along with the amazing experiences that skiing offers.  And celebrating those ski areas that are willing to make the sacrifices needed to endorse what we all feel and believe in.

Any time on snow after April is time to be cherished, not frowned upon.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Interesting that this is the first conditions thread every that has exceeded our crappy forum software's "limit" of 100 pages.

I like the passion all around.

Props to Whiteface.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
 Whiteface had to hand print the lift tickets due to the power outage They were to be really nice the printed version I put my address on the back of my hand printed lift ticket and they are gonna mail me the printed  ticket in the mail.
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
It seems to me that life experiences boil down to perspective and perspective is a choice we can make.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Truer words never spoken!  Of course life is too short to make bad choices....

In fairness to Sno, the skiing conditions were not great.  Props to him, and all the hearty souls who were able to get after it.  May 5, man....it’s all good even though a 10 was never in the cards.  It was still a pretty cool, historic and memorable day.  I’ll take that 2 any Ski-o de Mayo!
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
Sno,

Not everything that can be counted counts and not everything that counts can be counted.

~Albert Einstein
Reply | Threaded
|

skithefaceordie
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
You’re looking at the seventeen year old right here.
Reply | Threaded
|

skithefaceordie
You say the hill’s too steep to climb...
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by skithefaceordie
It was good to meet you!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Poor,  poor SnoreLame-0. You continue to prove that Noah John was 100% spot on about your whiny lil punk ass.

Looks like you guys had a blast ---- good for ya'll
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
In reply to this post by skithefaceordie
skithefaceordie wrote
You say the hill’s too steep to climb...
Chiding!
You say you'd like to see me try
Climbing!
You pick the place and I'll choose the time
And I'll climb
The hill in my own way
just wait a while, for the right day
And as I rise above the treeline and the clouds
I look down hear the sound of the things you said today
Fearlessly the idiot faced the crowd, smiling

Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Floyd
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Kudos to all you who made the effort, your passion and zeal are what feeds the soul.

Snowbore ,you have MUCH to learn about life and how to value it.
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
BAM!!! Warp wit da 420
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Bazinga !
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Harvey
I had fun golfing.  When I drove past it was exactly what I thought it would be slush and walking.

Certainly WF was thrown a wild card with the power outage.  I’ve only seen one wind storm like it before when a huge tree narrowly missed my suv.  The weather forecast minus the wind was exactly what happened so a gamble to stretch the season was bound to fail from a pure skiing perspective.  I’m sure people had fun and WF got some PR benefit so it’s all good.  

I would have bet the farm that Sno wasn’t going to be a happy camper.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I understand not everyone was interested in putting in the kind of effort required to get after it.....but Skyward and Niagara never really had slush issues on Saturday.
1 ... 48495051525354