classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1070 messages Options
1 ... 567891011 ... 54
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

campgottagopee
Son, I've been skiing at WF longer than you have been alive ---- you really have no clue of what you speak of

Just send it! Larry Enticer
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
I've skied there many times and last season the weekend before Lookout was open had way longer lines on every lift compared to the first weekend it was open despite a major event also taking place on the same weekend.

Just because there aren't any lift lines on Lookout itself doesn't mean that it doesn't do wonders to spread out crowds.  If all the other lifts are running at or close to full, the number of people skiing on Lookout all end up in lift lines at the other lifts, and that can be a significant number.

Gore has 5 trails that they usually blow that they haven't so far this season.  Rumor, Chatiemac, Topridge, Pine Knot, and 46er.

Whiteface hasn't made any snow on Wilmington, Hoyt's, Lookout Below, Lower Skyward, and Upper Northway.  And the Whiteface trails should make up much more mileage and acreage than the ones at Gore.

Stop denying it.  Whiteface is way behind where they should be in terms of terrain.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Signal is sincere and thoughtful ski related content. Noise is trolling, just trying to get people pissed off for fun. I don't believe things like the six flags comment are trolling, I think sno is truly bummed that Lookout isn't open.

There's no way this kid can be that ignorant

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by snoloco
I’m not denying anything.  Agreed, I’d be happy if Whiteface got those trails open earlier, and they should strive to do so.  I don’t pretend to know all the circumstances and reasons why they haven’t, but paying customers have a right to demand.

That said, just because I may not be happy they don’t have them open, I realize that WF management generally does a good job and I’m not going to forgo the great product they do offer for the couple of trails they don’t, yet.  Neither am I going to let my displeasure cause me to make wildly inaccurate and misleading statements.

I agree that having Wilmington open will make trails like Excelsior less crowded, which is why I didn’t disagree with your comment about spreading out people.  However, when it comes to lift lines, you could pick up all the skiers normally waiting in the Lookout lift line and place them all on any other single lift and they wouldn’t have an appreciable impact on the wait.  Spread them out over several lifts and it’s a non-factor, in terms of these terrible lift lines you are always squawking about.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Great product?!  Of course not.  It's a garbage ice product for those who live 10min away or don't realize that they'd have a far better time elsewhere.  They have hardly anything open compared to competitors.  Keep skiing there if you want because it's less people elsewhere.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Queue my line, Z!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
JTG4eva! wrote
Queue my line, Z!
Can you just put it in your sig? I forget what it is and have to find the original to remember!  
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
They have more vertical open than anyone else on the EC right now. But let's keep talking about percentages... Que the line Z!
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Yeah like that's much of a news flash.

Gore started making snow on Chatiemac so make that 4 trails they haven't made snow on yet.  Why is Whiteface still slacking off?
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Just gonna send it!  gonna be a good day!  

Larry is da bomb!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I’m a WF homer but I also call like I see em and management has a had a bit of splaining to due this yr but it’s all on the lodge construction mess not the Snow.  They are also very short staffed this yr but that is more of a factor that the economy is good and Orda only offers a seasonal job and at less than market wages but I don’t think AK has the power to fix that.  

The skiing has been great - much better than any other Holiday period I can recall except 2007 but ma nature really was rsponsible for that one.  If they hadn’t been blowing flat out then you would have a point.  It’s not that WF is behind it’s just you don’t like where they chose to blow.  The snow quality has been primo in my book.  

I think TJF did the best job of explaining it.  Moving all the guns to Lookout is a huge F-Ing job.  And once they do it they stay there for 2+ weeks to blow only 3 trails.  So if something happens requiring retouching of existing key trails that can’t be done during those 2 and a half weeks.  This wind was so strong blowing up hill the last two days I’m pretty afraid what we may find Sunday morning.  They likely will need to reblow the key trails this week and if they listened to loco we would be screwed.

Sno you know I think you are a good kid but you are driving us all nuts with this gotta get every pod open by some time limit of your own making stuff. Please cease and desist.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Yes I think they've chosen the wrong places to make snow at this point in the season.  Why the hell is Lower Parkway and Upper Mac more important than Wilmington which is a major artery of the ski area and opens another lift and another mountain for the busiest weekend of the year.

Then you'll say that they still had to get Wilderness ready for the World Cup, but why wasn't that done when Skyward was blown (as they did last season)?

Lookout is totally a lost cause until Feb at the earliest because it wasn't done this past week when they had perfect temps, so they may as well just resurface at this point.

Keep in mind that we're both biased as Lookout is my favorite lift and you like to blame opening Lookout for poor conditions elsewhere on the mountain.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I give up
Please buy a pass to Jay next year so we don’t have to replay your whinning
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Z  uh this will be his continual mantra until he enters the real world and has to pay his own freight for  everything .....till then well ..just another spoiled entitled , coddled lil brat with helicopters for " rents" .
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Careful Warp. Don't want to trigger anyone. Seems like the decline in spankings is directly related to the rise in entitled little shits these days...
I don't rip, I bomb.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Back to conditions

I waited for the temps to come up to something reasonable like -5 and the Gondi to Open.

Big race today but otherwise it was deserted.  Walk right onto the Gondi.  WF groomers did a bang up job on the hill and the skiing was good.  There were a couple funky spots here and there but overall nice skiing.  The main casualty from the wind appears to be Skyward which was not open and didn’t look too good.
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
I skied WF Dec 26- Jan 4 with one day off.  With a couple of exceptions, no more than 5 minutes at the Gondi and, no, I wasn’t on the single’s line.   When it got busy, they started spinning the little Whiteface chair.  

I like Snoloco.  I have spoken with him, grilled with him, and love his passion for skiing.    I do think that some of his observations are off base.

Originally, the mtn was trying to open blue runs from all three summits.  When it became bitterly cold, plans changed.  I think they realized that there would not be a demand for the product and they were right.  They opened skyward and largely opened little Whiteface.

The past three days have been brutally closed and windy.  The mountain lost power on Friday and was closed yesterday.    My son is there now and says that things took a beating.

I hope that they turn the guns on look out today.  They were moving things before the extreme weather.

If it’s open MLK, great.  If it’s not, well.... I will find the positives.  At 10 there will be lines at the Gondi.  I won’t be there.

As for the put downs, I wish Sno wasn’t so critical.  Hopefully as he gets older, that will change.

As for those of you driven to write nasty things to Sno, remember, he is a 18/19 year old who is passionate about skiing.  Take it with a grain of salt.

Happ New Years all and pray for snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
At what point did you see them moving guns to Lookout?  Guessing they probably took them all off there by now.  I agree with the extreme weather there wouldn't have been as much demand for blue terrain, but I think it's totally lame to fail to open it for MLK Weekend.  It's just too late to start it at this point to get it done by then.  
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Given the amount of time Sno spends complaining about Lookout, the only thing I can surmise is that it's one of the larger problems in his life.  If that's the case, then I'm envious.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Grillman
Grillman wrote

As for those of you driven to write nasty things to Sno, remember, he is a 18/19 year old who is passionate about skiing.  Take it with a grain of salt.

Driven??? 18/19??? WTF man ---- My Grandfather was fighting in WWII at that age --- this little snot nosed fucker deserves it imho

this every kid deserves a trophy shit is for the birds
1 ... 567891011 ... 54