1070 messages Options
1 ... 9101112131415 ... 54
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

ADmiKe
Harvey wrote
Comon let's hear it! Details!  What was the terrain percentage?  
I think it was...uh....lemme think...uh....who gives a shit it was a great day!!!!!

Gondola, summit, LWF chair, all spinning. I’d say around 8” and since precip went through a full transition it sort of bonded in most places. It was windy up top, but even Skyward skied good on the sides. It was variable, but you would have never thought it rained 2” @ 55 degrees yesterday.  Things got pretty bumped up, but the bumps were soft. Scratchy in between by the end of the day, but far from a disaster in my opinion. Was good enough that I skied until 3:30.  Some funky areas that froze where water must have pooled yesterday, but they were in unimportant zones like between mixing bowl and gondola line, in gondola line, etc.  Found areas of untouched snow in the sides until the end of the day. Glad I didn’t bail on this weekend. If they can push this snow around and groom it out I think things will be in waaaaay better shape than pretty much everyone else in the NE who got maybe 2” max.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
ADmiKe wrote
Gondola, summit, LWF chair, all spinning. I’d say around 8” and since precip went through a full transition it sort of bonded in most places. It was windy up top, but even Skyward skied good on the sides. It was variable, but you would have never thought it rained 2” @ 55 degrees yesterday.  Things got pretty bumped up, but the bumps were soft. Scratchy in between by the end of the day, but far from a disaster in my opinion. Was good enough that I skied until 3:30.  Some funky areas that froze where water must have pooled yesterday, but they were in unimportant zones like between mixing bowl and gondola line, in gondola line, etc.  Found areas of untouched snow in the sides until the end of the day. Glad I didn’t bail on this weekend. If they can push this snow around and groom it out I think things will be in waaaaay better shape than pretty much everyone else in the NE who got maybe 2” max.
Sweet. Thanks!

Personally sno, I'd take Whiteface's 8 inches on over Killingtons 1, regardless of lifts. If nothing else it should be the best groomed surface this side of Titus!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Funny thing is I go skiing to actually ski.  Not stand in line like I'm at six flags.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
snoloco wrote
Funny thing is I go skiing to actually ski.  Not stand in line like I'm at six flags.
As long as you avoided the gondola....
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I almost never ride the gondola.  The line is always way longer than anything else on the mountain and people don't seem to be considerate enough to follow the no smoking rule.  However, the Facelift and LWF lifts both got lines out of the ropes today.  Can't speak for the summit quad.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
snoloco wrote
I almost never ride the gondola.  The line is always way longer than anything else on the mountain and people don't seem to be considerate enough to follow the no smoking rule.  However, the Facelift and LWF lifts both got lines out of the ropes today.  Can't speak for the summit quad.
Weird it must have been when I went inside to eat something mid day because I never saw anyone on LWF and Facelift had ppl but I wouldn’t call it a line from what I saw. Guess I missed that while I was inside....

All the free tix they gave away for the Chevy thing def contributed to that gondola line...
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Or Sno really is nothing but noise....
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco

Photographic proof.  And later in the day it was twice as bad.  And the massive slow moving blob of humanity blocked the singles line so many chairs didn't go up full.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Please, Sno.....you seem to think none of us have ever skied Whiteface before.  Or taken the FaceLift.  That photo isn’t proof of anything.  That’s the typical gathering of people outside the queue getting their tickets scanned.  I’m sure the wait in that picture was no more than 5 minutes.  To you it’s a mass of humanity.....to Mike it’s a typical short FaceLift line.  Mike is the kind of guy people listen to.....while you have zero credibility.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
No it filled up the entire queue and you just can't see it.  I had to duck the rope into the singles line or it would've taken at least 10 minutes.  Inexcusable since the Freeway lift should've been open.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
What lifts didn't run today that are likely to spin tomorrow?
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
They should have had Freeway and maybe Mountain Run open today but they didn't so I don't see why they'd bother opening them tomorrow.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Harvey
Again, I’ll put my trust in Mike’s observations, thankyouverymuch.  Sorry that YOU had such a bad day Sno.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Ok yeh I did see that scenario in the photo, a lot of those ppl aren’t actually on line but just standing around or waiting for a scan instead of just not caring about being scanned or not...but I too ducked the singles line after telling the scanner I was gonna do that, he could have cared less, and I was on a lift in like 2 minutes.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
Do Freeway and Mountain Run access anything unique?
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Not really.... same stuff can be had off LWF->Approach
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Freeway gets you to Draper's and Lower Thruway which LWF doesn't unless you take the Facelift back up.  I don't usually think the Mountain Run chair is all that important, but it would've been useful today since there was a mogul comp or training and lots of people were getting off LWF at mid.  They were running Freeway in the morning but never opened it, and if it was a mechanical issue they should've moved their staff to Mountain Run instead of throwing up their hands and sending them home and not opening up any additional lifts (like they did).

I left after the line for the Facelift filled up all the ropes and then backed up the other way towards Boreen.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
snoloco wrote
Freeway gets you to Draper's and Lower Thruway which LWF doesn't unless you take the Facelift back up.
Huh? LWF double from mid gives you option to get off for the whole Mt. Run pod area which includes Thruway and Drapers access

OR you can ride it all the way up and hit Approach on your way to doing the same...
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
I think we should shift the focus of the discussion off of Lift status and talk about how Whiteface was the only place that survived the rain with legit measurable snow on the backend. Did you not have a good day skiing-wise? Cause you could have been anywhere east or south of Whiteface ice skating....
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by ADmiKe
ADmiKe wrote
snoloco wrote
Freeway gets you to Draper's and Lower Thruway which LWF doesn't unless you take the Facelift back up.
Huh? LWF double from mid gives you option to get off for the whole Mt. Run pod area which includes Thruway and Drapers access

OR you can ride it all the way up and hit Approach on your way to doing the same...
But you can't LAP them.  You have to go to the bottom and take the Facelift back up.

Conditions wise it was a great day.  But soured by management's unpreparedness.

If you aren't pissed that the Freeway lift wasn't open you probably go to amusement parks a lot and are used to waiting in line to have fun.  For me that usually ends in frustration.
1 ... 9101112131415 ... 54