classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1070 messages Options
1 ... 10111213141516 ... 54
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

ADmiKe
I dunno man, I understand what you’re saying and yeh it would be great to have all the lifts running and everything open etc etc but I guess it just doesn’t bother me.

Conditions change all the time and the weather is uncontrollable.  Lifts open and close and different days have different scenarios. It’s all part of skiing.  Makes the days not all be the same and monotonous.

I’m just happy that we had what we had today. Things could have been bad....really bad.  Instead, it was borderline as if it never rained.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I'm a firm believer that in the absence of weather or mechanical issues, all lifts should be staffed and ready on weekends and holidays.  The only exception is redundant lifts where it's ok to only run one if no line.

Therefore it drives me nuts having to stand in any lines at all when there are perfectly good lifts sitting there not being used.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
Noah John was SOOOOOOO right.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
Attn: Whiteface locals, please update us early and through the day tomorrow. I can't ski until Sunday and it looks like WF might be our best bet. Pics appreciated

But seriously, here's my take on the day ...

I got on the gondola right at 8:30, and was able to grab two quick runs. There was about 6" of fresh powder on top of an "icy base". Those first two runs were pretty good, as you were able to float on the snow on top. There were some "death spots" here and there, where water had pooled up and frozen. You definitely had to be on your toes for those.

Got back out a little while later and given the weather scenario and the crowd due to the combination of the holiday weekend and the Chevy giveaway, things were a little dicey. Lots of piles of snow, with a firm slick base in between. Not the greatest day ever, but I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that there weren't really any "bare" spots to speak of.

Lots of snow was lost due to the storm, and it's going to take some time to recover. Tomorrow should be better, as they'll be able to groom the new snow in and hopefully grind things up a bit, though it probably won't last too long ... get there early and get your runs in! They started firing the guns back up at around 2:00.

As for lift lines, the gondola definitely looked pretty busy ... I only rode it twice, both times before 9:30. After that, the Face Lift and Little Whiteface. Didn't wait more than 5-6 minutes on either of those. One run on the Summit Quad ... there was no one in front of us on the lift line. Part of the reason the lift lines looked so bad was that they had to limit the number of corrals that were in use due to water that had pooled up at the base of the gondola and the Face Lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
You might've seen me unknowingly as I was on the third car up.  Probably best you didn't know it was me.

And they'd better finish Wilmington this week and I'm not going back until they do.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Face4Me
Awesome, guys. Thanks very much. Looks like I need to get to bed early tonight
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
Face4Me wrote
Noah John was SOOOOOOO right.
Without a doubt!
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
And they'd better finish Wilmington this week and I'm not going back until they do.
Is that supposed to be a threat or a promise?
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
snoloco wrote
You might've seen me unknowingly as I was on the third car up.  Probably best you didn't know it was me.

You said you were boycotting the place until they open the Lookout chair and yet you were there today...
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
The only reason I went today is because they had natural snow when no one else on Ski 3 or Max Pass did, and it turned out to be a bust.

And it's a threat face4me
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
snoloco wrote
natural snow
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Admike and Face4me speak the truth. Face lift was maybe 5 minutes. Had a damn good day today.
Sno, were you talking to Grillman just after noon at the mid deck?
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
That was me.  In the blue jacket.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Face4Me wrote
snoloco wrote
Is that supposed to be a threat or a promise?
The "threat" would be that sno doesn't buy a pass next year. Buying a pass this year and not skiing doesn't punish the mountain much.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
snoloco wrote
That was me.  In the blue jacket.
I heard the guy I'm assuming was Grillman introduce you to his son. (<<<where does the comma go in that sentence?) You look different, maybe it's the glasses? I was with my little guy taking a pic.
I'd love to know how many skiers where there yesterday. Might put things into perspective. Cars where parked out on 86.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
In the gondola now, looks good.  Why no mountain run lift :)
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
Cold, hard pack, courd, fast, blue bird, sun, GREAT all things considered.  Get at it
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Whoop whoop

"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
Great day!  No lift lines at all
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Skyward early AM

Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
1 ... 10111213141516 ... 54