156 messages Options
12345 ... 8
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

BenedictGomez
ADmiKe wrote
Long, long time ago when I was probably like 6 or so years old, me, my dad, and middle brother poached a trail at Shawnee in the Poconos.  Patrol stood at the bottom and watched us ski the whole thing.  They gave us a ride on a snowmobile (Bonus!) to their office and made us watch a safety video.  It was our last run of the night (night skiing).  Guess I should have learned my lesson 20-some years ago and not do any poaching or video watching at WF!
Was it a cartoon by any chance?   A friend of mine (12 to 14 at the time) jumped off a stopped lift there during Ski Club night, only a 6 foot drop maybe, got caught, and had to watch a safety video.   IIRC, it was a ski safety cartoon with a mouse.
Can we get SOME snow?  Please?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
So sorry Scotty. Get well!  (How long?)
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Z
You know I haven’t been as critical of, or upset by, the fancification that Z hates so much.  From my perspective as a non-pass holder who frequently day trips, to date it hasn’t taken away the “skier’s mountain” vibe that Whiteface has always had.  Unfortunately, hearing three trusted locals talking about how changes at WF are moving beyond the base to affect the skiing feel and vibe on the mountain, whether it’s people socializing over a BYOwhatever spread at the mid-lodge or the ability to socialize with a dozen new like-minded friends on the summit of a no Summit Quad day.....that has me concerned.  Z is right that Whiteface will never be Stowe or Vail, no matter what they do, so management should be concerned about losing the vibe that has always had me and others singing their praises.     One can only hope they read and consider feedback from the skiers who have been loyal for more than 30 years, and stop fixing things that aren’t broken just because they can.

All the new snow the past two days and epic November conditions and tomorrow I will be taking my business to........Vermont. Management are fools if they don’t see that as a problem.

Or maybe not, because who the heck am I but a single, old skier (who happens to have told two friends, who each told two friends, etc., etc.).....
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Get better soon SJ
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Grillin' in the river lot ftw!
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by DomB
DomB wrote
Get better soon SJ
Skiing or biking?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
Same here.  Not dumping on WF - it's just that Vermont is easy to get to and seems to get better snow plus not so damn cold and windy!  Headed up Sunday - can't remember ever going skiing this early in the year but then again I'm kind of picky.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I've noticed that this season WF is not posting on the conditions report what trails they are snowmaking on.  I think this is a vital piece of info for people to decide where they may go skiing the next weekend and Marketing needs to understand this and post it.  The functionality is there on the report its just not being done.  
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
In reply to this post by BenedictGomez
BenedictGomez wrote
ADmiKe wrote
Long, long time ago when I was probably like 6 or so years old, me, my dad, and middle brother poached a trail at Shawnee in the Poconos.  Patrol stood at the bottom and watched us ski the whole thing.  They gave us a ride on a snowmobile (Bonus!) to their office and made us watch a safety video.  It was our last run of the night (night skiing).  Guess I should have learned my lesson 20-some years ago and not do any poaching or video watching at WF!
Was it a cartoon by any chance?   A friend of mine (12 to 14 at the time) jumped off a stopped lift there during Ski Club night, only a 6 foot drop maybe, got caught, and had to watch a safety video.   IIRC, it was a ski safety cartoon with a mouse.
Can't remmeber the video itself - too long ago!
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
ScottyJack wrote
I cracked a rib so on the DL.
I'm told that a cracked rib takes 2 weeks to heal.  Painful for the 2 weeks, but feels better almost instantly after the 2 weeks.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
I've noticed that this season WF is not posting on the conditions report what trails they are snowmaking on.  I think this is a vital piece of info for people to decide where they may go skiing the next weekend and Marketing needs to understand this and post it.
Agreed.  Isn't it due to issues with actually making the snow?  I've heard there are issues on that front.....
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
You still got your helmet on?
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
Cool. Thx. Def feeling better today.  Closing in on two weeks...
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
 I will have to ask my son when he gets home if they are blowing anywhere.  They need to get that fixed post haste if that is the issue.  I assumed it was just marketing not updating but if they can blow that is a cluster F on a whole new level.  While natural is nice there is no permabase under it and WF rocky as hell.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
D.B. Cooper wrote
Isn't it due to issues with actually making the snow?
Weird that both Gore and Whiteface are having snowmaking issues at the same time. Wild coincidence, I'm sure.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Confirmed no snow making going on today at least when my son was trading in the morning

Does anyone know what is wrong with he system?
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
Blowin hard on Victoria, Boreen and Mt. Run...skiing has been great.

There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Skied thru guns today on Victoria, great skiing there, on everything everywhere open, including lower Mac...
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
WF is skiing awesome.  More like January than Dec 1. It was a Snowvember to remember.  

Unfortunately I decided to bring out my new skis today so I could not take advantage of all the rope drops that happened today but I had a blast on my new Volkl Deacons.

Not sure if s9meone is actually paying attention to my posts but they moved down the park features on Danny Bridge / Brookside and opened it sans park.  I forgot what a nice trail it is.  

Serious mixed bag overnight into Sunday then back to Winter for 10 days at least.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Red95
Lived in up state NY for awhile coming back to ski from dec 7th- 10th. Anyone know if they are going to have more or less trails open compared to this weekend
12345 ... 8