Whiteface has an uphill policy

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
69 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface has an uphill policy

Noah John
And so I ask again, WTF does this have to do with WF's uphill ski policy?  Nobody cares how many people you had to ask before you figured out which lift to ride for free to watch a free event.  Maybe next year they'll hold the Empire Games in some highway drainage ditch on the Tug Hill and you'll have no problem figuring out how to get to all the venues.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
Next time you should go to the guest services desk that compiles all information and it is readily able to call and find out more information should they not know.  Or you can go around the mountain and just ask any random person you can find.  Whatever is easier.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by Noah John
Noah John wrote
And so I ask again, WTF does this have to do with WF's uphill ski policy?  Nobody cares how many people you had to ask before you figured out which lift to ride for free to watch a free event.  Maybe next year they'll hold the Empire Games in some highway drainage ditch on the Tug Hill and you'll have no problem figuring out how to get to all the venues.
If the uphill policy states not during lift operating hrs and someone can't be directed to a lift how is one to access the events
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
skimore wrote
If the uphill policy states not during lift operating hrs and someone can't be directed to a lift how is one to access the events
Your hopelessness is rising around you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
Noah John wrote
skimore wrote
I wonder how all the people that were up there watching the event and then walking down the roped off area figured it out?
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Pants wrote
Noah John wrote
skimore wrote
I wonder how all the people that were up there watching the event and then walking down the roped off area figured it out?
It was stated that was found out after the fact. Meaning a tad late

How is it the organization running the event couldn't provide this info?

Ask someone with a kid in the event how well organized it was
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
WTF does this have to do with WF's uphill skiing policy?  Why don't you start a thread where you can whine about the poor organization of the Empire State Games?  I promise I won't post anything there about WF's uphill skiing policy.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
Pants wrote
Noah John wrote
skimore wrote
It was stated that was found out after the fact. Meaning a tad late

How is it the organization running the event couldn't provide this info?

Ask someone with a kid in the event how well organized it was
Whiteface doesn't run the empire state games nor any alpine races on its venue.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Noah John wrote
WTF does this have to do with WF's uphill skiing policy?  
When no answer about getting up to the events was found it was asked about walking up. Which was no

It's not uphill skiing

Uphill users SHALL abide by the following guidelines:
◦Uphill climbing is not permitted during daytime lift operation

Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
You should just keep in the back of your mind that Whiteface will always allow access to the bottom of drapers drop for races.  Its either free to ride bear or a small fee depending.  and you always have to walk down.  Been that way for years and years and years and years...
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
In reply to this post by skimore
Don't be obtuse.  This thread is about skinning up the mountain before the lifts spin in the morning.  Your post is about walking around in a clueless daze with a stick up your ass.  So start a thread about walking around in a clueless daze with a stick up your ass already.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
In reply to this post by Pants
Pants wrote
Whiteface doesn't run the empire state games nor any alpine races on its venue.
Can you imagine not knowing that?  
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
Noah John wrote
Don't be obtuse.  This thread is about skinning up the mountain before the lifts spin in the morning.  Your post is about walking around in a clueless daze with a stick up your ass.  So start a thread about walking around in a clueless daze with a stick up your ass already.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
As dawn patrol grows in popularity, new tools are emerging.  This prototype is currently under development:

photo courtesy east or bust
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
A resource/list of uphill policies in the US:

http://www.ussma.org/resort-uphill-policies

That's a pretty cool link that I'd like to find a place for on NYSB.

It looks like Whiteface is the only NY resort with an uphill policy.

http://www.whiteface.com/mountain/winter-uphilling

Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Harvey wrote
It looks like Whiteface is the only NY resort with an uphill policy.

http://www.whiteface.com/mountain/winter-uphilling
How much uphill traffic do they see at Whiteface?  

I used to think uphill policies were just common sense bullshit until I saw some of the stupid shit that people do over here.  It has become a constant battle between mountain management and the local AT community.  The mountain is closed Tuesday and Wednesday, so during storm cycles you have a farm full of untracked snow before the lifts spin on Thursday.  Unfortunately, they closed the mountain to uphill traffic during some the best cycles of last year... needless to say it caused an uproar.  Enforcement is strict.  Apparently, if you are caught inbounds during a closure your season pass can be revoked, and you will be eligible for a trespass citation from the county sheriff.

I don't have an issue with the policy.  The rules are pretty simple to understand, and in my opinion, are fair enough.  I just don't like the idea of mountain management arbitrarily closing a public space during prime conditions.  I understand the concept... save the untracked snow for the paying customer.  That said.  The vast majority of the uphill community at Mission are pass holders; therefore we are paying customers too.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I thought the issue was... allowing access to state land, without incurring liability from interaction between grooming/snowmaking and turn earners.

I don't think it's about saving snow.

From what I can tell Whiteface gets a fair amount of traffic. Beuller?
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
Why wouldn't a ski area, lets say Gore not have an uphill policy?  There are two reasons that people want to skin up a mountain: 1. to get exercise 2. to get some powder.  As far as I can see, there is little reason to deny this other than ignorance and laziness.  Please don't tell me that this is dangerous.  At a large ski area like Gore where there are huge jumps and rails and other crap that sends I bet hundreds of kids to the ER every season, there can't be a single place where people can't shuffle up the mountain at 2 MPH?  Give me a break!  I'll bet the head of the ski patrol big money that less than one percent of the injuries at Gore would come from AT skiers if there was a policy.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Not having a policy doesn't mean they are against it or for it. It just means they don't have a written policy, that is available to see.

Plattekill has no policy, but I guarantee it's OK.  Just call Laszlo and tell him you are headed up.