Why are you here?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
69 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Why are you here?

PeeTex
Interesting history Harv, thanks for sharing.
Only having been involved with this site for less than a year it is hard to tell who the members who have been posting for a long time are or how came over with the move. I found it to be an entertaining group, although as with many forums - populated with a few genuinely class acts and few egotists and primadonnas and a couple od douchebag rabble rousers. Again, with many other of these social sites there are cliques and inside jokes that new members don't get.

So why did I choose to participate, not to get any new knowledge although I find the articles Jeff post's from time to time, interesting. Not to pontificate on my latest adventures, I usually don't bother with pictures and I am comfortable with what I do so no need to spread it all over the internet. What I like about this site is that it is small and is more like conversation, I tried AZ and found it boring and too big to find something interesting. But mostly, this past year I found myself very bored and isolated living at the edge of no where so I decided it was better than driving to the local Stewarts and occupying a booth all day. However I have picked up a 6 week stint to fill in for an old buddy at University in Mass so I may not post as much - depends on how much I can pawn off on the grad students.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
mattchuck2 wrote
Really, I like coming on these forums to see people doing cool shit. It gives me ideas for my own trips, keeps me current on conditions, and keeps the fire alive for adventure. It doesn't need to be anything crazy either. The Hinterlandian thread is great...
^^ Right. Trip reports, especially with photos.  Hiking, biking, climbing, paddling, skiing.

Also, I stay involved because I like the exchange of information and ideas.  I've learned some things here and hopefully I've shared some stuff that others have found interesting.  I've changed my mind on a few topics as a result of some discussions / debates we've had, and maybe I've been partly responsible for evolving the thinking of others.

What I don't come here for is to hear a bunch of anonymous people call each other dumbasses.  I've participated in some of that (though not the anonymous part).  Sorry.  Nobody's perfect.  Hopefully my personal signal-to-noise ratio (sorry for the cliche) is still positive.

Regrettably, there's been less and less of the trip report type of posts.  Jason's report from Rainier and a small handful of others over the summer being the exception.  I used to post more of my own stuff here, but for a variety of reasons (mostly because it's on my own blog - if you're interested, you can find it) no longer do.

It's also regrettable that the information exchange aspect of this forum is being increasingly drowned out by the flame wars and dumbass-calling.  Maybe that's just an evolution (devolution) process any forum goes through.  I think it's exacerbated here because of the small size - there's only 500+ total members, and far fewer who post regularly - so it's easier for a single individual to drown out the conversation.

SBR's friends-around-the-campfire analogy is spot on when it comes to the original intent of the forum.  It's drifted from that.  Only Harv can say whether the Forum has been "worth it."

Reply | Threaded
|

podunk77
The absence of Ebola hysteria.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
I'm here for entertainment and my ski fix when I can't be out there doing it.  I also like to judge you folks posting  and then try to figure out who you are when I am out there.  I am still amazed that the WF folks have still alluded me but then again when I am skiing that is all I am focused on...which is why I ski alone or with one other SDbag...although he is more cordial at times and will ski with others.  Normally I only post when I am drinking but this morning I am bored.  Harv I appreciate all the hardwork you put into this and it definitely shows.  I just want it to start snowing so we can all get at it again
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Welcome podunk77.

Thanks Suds.

Adk Jeff wrote
Hopefully my personal signal-to-noise ratio (sorry for the cliche) is still positive.
^^It's high.

Jeff has an ability to filter through and understand complex issues (financial but other stuff too) that IMO is valuable.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snowmonkey
I came here originally because I only started skiing a few years ago, and wanted to learn more about it.  I find the trip reports inspiring, and they give me ideas for places to visit I never knew existed 5 years ago.  I've met some of the people on here in person: gargonzola, harvey, and matthchuck2 are a few I can think of off the top of my head.  Admittedly I don't visit too often anymore.  I don't have time to surf the interwebz at work anymore, and I'm usually out and about doing something outdoors when I'm not working to keep my sanity (although recently I am couch-bound due to a ruptured Achilles tendon and that's why I am here on this particular day).  I also just don't tend to read ski forums during the off-season.  Generally I've found most people on these forums to be extremely helpful and friendly, and that is why I continue to visit. I've learned quite a lot from asking questions and reading posts here, and I also find a lot of entertainment value. I will say that the ski forums I visit tend to degenerate during the summer, and the mountain bike forums tend to do the same during the winter.  I guess that's what happens when people get bored.   I am sure when the snow starts flying and everyone is back out skiing, the moods on the forums will improve.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242

I'm here because Harvey promised if I wrote a couple of blogposts he'd show me some more trees around Gore.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
nothing to see here folks,keep moving
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Stoke, conditions info, terrain discussion, sharing my affinity for WF and Gore with other like minded individuals, connecting with someone to ski with on occasion, gawk at the occasional train wreck and, most importantly.......technique talk, primarily related to the most awesome of turns.  Go ahead, say it with me........Jump Turn!

Seriously, does anyone think of this place as a "social media" site?  I sure as heck don't.  I have no use for Facebook and the like, but I love targeted discussion forums, from SkiADK to Harvey Road, some related to Disney, some related to football.  
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!