To early to tell about temp profiles
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Winter Weather 2015-2016

ScottyJack
Josh Fox is fairly optimistic...

"Not incredibly cold but productive due to a loosened Pacific Jet and an Arctic Oscillation on the negative side of zero. Ensembles restrengthen the ridge in western North America between the 23rd and 25th of the month giving me some confidence that sub-freezing temperatures could prevail through the rest of January. "

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by JasonWx
after just looking at the new run... GOOD NEWS..at least today...
looks like a all snow event on Saturday..nothing major but at least snow..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This is like the first, legit snowfall with no chance of liquid.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Harvey wrote
This is like the first, legit snowfall with no chance of liquid.
That blue blob looking promising...
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
It's blue-blobbing in the SW Adirondacks!   and not the light lake effect kind!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I'm hoping mother nature doesn't bail you guys out and you see the importance of snowmaking.  Look who's furthest behind in terms of terrain in the east.  Looks like it's Gore, well except Mountain Creek which only opened on Friday.  Hunter and Windham are both ahead, and so is all of Southern VT.

Haven't been to Mountain Creek since Saturday, but I did see a TR from yesterday, and they weathered the r*in quite well, same with Mount Peter.  We're getting more r*in this weekend, but are still expanding terrain, and will probably get all 4 "peaks" open soon.  Windham is adding an additional 100 acres this weekend, and Hunter currently has 36 trails open, and is looking to have over 40 by the weekend.  What's Gore going to add?  Twister (likely closed for racing), and a couple runs off Straightbrook.  They still need to open the Dark Side, North Side, Burnt Ridge, and the Ski Bowl.  Mount Snow (which is further south than Gore) is going to add Sunbrook, meaning all lifts open by this weekend.  Gore won't even be close.  This is why snowmaking is important.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
Snowmaking is only important if you ride lifts.

If you ski like a dirtbag, you go where the snow is.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
What about when there's zero natural snow, like this year?
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
snoloco wrote
You ski less.  Or if you have the luxury, go out west where they have a ton of snow right now.

I have to say there's been AT least 10 days to be had so far on natural snow in NY this year.  Probably more.  If you were to add in Southern Quebec you might get that to 20.

Now granted if you were to do that, not every day would be spectacular.  You'd probably have some thin days but you'd also probably get some really, really great days.

It wouldn't be the best terrain, but you'd have to decide whether you want to try to ski good snow, at different places and travel around and wait for the really good stuff to come in.

I don't ski resorts, but there's stuff I've been waiting 3 years to ski.  I just haven't been able to hit it at the right time.  And to a dh skier it would probably seem trivial, but if you were using the same gear and techniques to get at it, it might not.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
 You say fuck it don't go. You've already acknowledged skiing on man made snow sucks
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
In reply to this post by MikeK
Now another consideration is your geographic center...

If I could choose anywhere to be to give me the best access to eastern snow, I'd probably plop my ass right in Saranac Lake or Lake Placid... northern Adirondacks.

Not only do you have access to great skiing when they are in, but in a 3-4 hour radius from there you have A TON of options.  Tug Hill, Northern Vermont, Southern Laurentians, Eastern Townships, Catskills.

Living down toward NYC you have no radius.  Everything skiable is pretty much in one direction and it just gets farther north  on low snow years.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
I'm hoping mother nature doesn't bail you guys out
So you are saying you hope it doesn't snow, to make a point?

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In case you didn't notice, I haven't complained much about the weather this year.  Reasons being that I was going out west, adm because I knew it would teach you guys a lesson about the importance of snowmaking.  Don't upgrade it and have little terrain open all year, and you'll pay a very steep price.  I bet that the Dark Side lift doesn't get replaced this summer because Gore will lose nearly all of their business to VT.  That lift is hanging on by a thread and I don't think can run for another 3-5 years before it dies for good.  

As for Skimore, you're contradicting your username by telling me to ski less.  I didn't say that all man-made snow sucks, I said that one lift, one trail, with hundreds of people on it sucks, especially after you've been out west for a week.  The only other options in my area besides skiing are bowling, and going to the movies.  I'd rather go skiing and gets some exercise.
Reply | Threaded
|

jjp24
snoloco wrote
The only other options in my area besides skiing are bowling, and going to the movies.  I'd rather go skiing and gets some exercise.
How about hiking? Plenty of good trails in your area and it keeps you in shape for skiing.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
jjp24 wrote
snoloco wrote
The only other options in my area besides skiing are bowling, and going to the movies.  I'd rather go skiing and gets some exercise.
How about hiking? Plenty of good trails in your area and it keeps you in shape for skiing.
Agreed. So many great trails in Southern NY / NNJ.

I think that we all disagree with you as usual, Sno. This season shows the importance of REAL SNOW for the multitudes to bother hitting the resorts, even the kings of the fake stuff like K and Hunter. Their ticket sales are down as well. Not just Gore's.

Since you love fake snow and fake skiing so much, have you considered changing your name to SnauxLoco?
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
In reply to this post by jjp24
Sno - I love how you ignore any good info and just hone in on the shit.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
And hey, hiking may seem a little boring to you now, but it's just because you're overstimulated and full of spunk (I actually can't imagine anything more boring than bowling though).

Get at it.  Get a GF or some dude bros to go with.  Then try it with skis.  It's easier than ever these days.  All you need is Dad's CC and some free time.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
jjp24 wrote
snoloco wrote
Agreed. So many great trails in Southern NY / NNJ.

I think that we all disagree with you as usual, Sno. This season shows the importance of REAL SNOW for the multitudes to bother hitting the resorts, even the kings of the fake stuff like K and Hunter. Their ticket sales are down as well. Not just Gore's.

Since you love fake snow and fake skiing so much, have you considered changing your name to SnauxLoco?
Look at this picture from K-Mart over Christmas Week.

Plenty of people still came out.  I'm pretty sure Gore was a ghost town since they only had one lift and a couple trails open.  The only reason Killington was like this is because it was a holiday week with limited terrain.  This is going to be Gore this weekend, especially since the flatlands are getting some snow.  Do you want this, or better snowmaking?  

Actually, I hope the flatlands get snow to bring the masses of humanity out, but there isn't enough snow to open anything so you see how important snowmaking is to all ec mountains.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
snoloco wrote
I'm hoping mother nature doesn't bail you guys out
So you are saying you hope it doesn't snow, to make a point?

I think that's what he's saying.

Apparently he think's that someone is of the opinion that snowmaking isn't good. When in reality, everyone here appreciates snowmaking (especially in the lean times), but prefers natural snow.

Not sure why he wants us to have a shitty year just to prove something we already agree with him about.
12345 ... 15