classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
285 messages Options
1 ... 101112131415
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Winter Weather 2015-2016

endoftheline
But WF is reporting 5" new overnight? What's the real story Coach? The webcam sure doesn't look like any 5" even if it was windy last night.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Z
Yes, come March we should get a significant storm, on top of the few we should have had in February, and by now we'd have a heck of a lot more than 89 inches of snow YTD.  If 'ifs and buts' were candy and nuts, every fucking day would be Christmas, but Santa took this year off.  Fat bastard!

However, let's get the cards on the table, and maybe temper the fat lady shtick.  Yes, the Winter Soltice doesn't leave us until March 20, although we all know the shitty little rodent in PA was right.  Winter is over, done, finito.  However, do you all really believe that the final curtain call on the ski season is imminent?

Yes, the base out there is appallingly thin, and the strong March sun can do its' damage even when temps aren't hitting 50.  However, while winter is done and we will see a few days in the mid-50s next week, much of the March forecast I'm seeing from numerous sources has somewhat typical (yes, more for late March) freeze-thaw conditions, with Adirondack highs in the 40s and lows in the 20s.  That there is perfect corn cooking weather.....if the base holds up.  No, we aren't going to have an epic spring season, but the question begs....how long a spring season do you think we will have?

WF?  When do you think they will lose the ability to push snow around to maintain top to bottom?

How about Gore?

The Cats?

Bottle up the disappointment for the season we didn't have, and let's see if we can't find some stoke for yummy spring goodness!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by endoftheline
endoftheline wrote
But WF is reporting 5" new overnight? What's the real story Coach? The webcam sure doesn't look like any 5" even if it was windy last night.
Conditions report I'm reading right now says 1 inch in the past 24 hours, 3 in 48.  WF website.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
Looking at Windham's webcam, they're not going to last for more than a couple weeks.  Plenty of bare spots and brown snow.  They're going to make more snow, so that should save them for a few extra days.

Hunter is doing a lot better.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Thanks Sno.  TBH, I don't really give a rat's ass about the kitty Cats , but like Trump.....I'm a unifier!   My spring turns will be at WF, as long as they last, but I want you Joisey guys in on the discussion as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by snoloco
Side note.....what do you all consider 'a couple of weeks' to be?  Two, possibly three, or some other indefinite small number?  Need to settle a debate with wifey.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Couple is two.  Few is three to five.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Ha!  Wrong answer, if you ask me....or the Oxford dictionary, but thanks for playing!  I'll give wifey your vote.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
ask about "this weekend" and "next weekend"
This weekend is March 5 and 6.  Next weekend is March 12 and 13.   Or 10 days out.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
No thanks.....last thing I need is more things to argue with wifey about!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Sooo.....below average base depths for March combined with the above average March temps everyone agrees we'll have will definitely make for a shorter than average spring skiing season, trick if figuring out what that means.

Personally, we have plans to be in Placid in a couple weeks time (March 21 to 24 ) and I'm  hoping we can do more than the navigating of grass and rivers on Upper Valley we did a few years ago when mid-March temps hit 70.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
my son is at WF for training today but they pulled the plug on that due to the wind which is epic according to my son. They were just getting the face lift going when he called me a bit ago and he was about to head out to free ski.

what ever snow came down is in Plattsburgh with these winds

I'll get a report from him later and will post

At my house we got a 1/2 inch of mix of sleet and ice which with my long driveway on a hill makes things fun.  Plow guy came and sanded twice.

I think WF will be fine up high thru Easter.  The bottom may be another story.  Might be a good year to download.  I fully expect at this point that I will be playing golf in LP by Easter.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
Coach Z wrote
I think WF will be fine up high thru Easter.  The bottom may be another story.  Might be a good year to download.  I fully expect at this point that I will be playing golf in LP by Easter.
I never skied and golfed on the same day, sounds fun. last year I golfed on a Saturday and closed gore on  that sunday. that was a memorable weekend
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
sig wrote
Coach Z wrote
I never skied and golfed on the same day, sounds fun. last year I golfed on a Saturday and closed gore on  that sunday. that was a memorable weekend
I've skied in the Morning @ Gore, golfed @ Cronin's in the afternoon, and vice versa.  I've white water rafted in the morning and BBQ on the deck @ Gore after last runs back in 2007, what a hoot.  Maybe we could do all three in the same day, nay not enough beer.

Ski you on the Hill.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
With next week's forecast of temps in the 50s (62 next Fri with an inch of rain) and overnight lows barely going down to the freezing mark, I think there's a strong likelihood that March 12-13 could be it for Gore.  One week later for WF.  Second half of March is cooler, so maybe WF stretches it out to Easter weekend (the 27th).  Get your turns in now.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This coming week and after, 50's, 60's and even one day in the 70's.  That's for Vernon NJ, so Mountain Creek will be done within the next 2 weeks guaranteed.  They'll probably keep all 4 "peaks" open till next weekend and then conditions permitting it will be South Peak only until the 20th.  They can dismantle the park for more snow to keep that section open.

I'm guessing many mountain closures by 3/20, even further north.  Killington is getting plenty of weather in the upper 40's with r*in.  This could wipe out the Catskills by that date as well.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
Looks that way. All those positive vibes for a great end of the season have fizzled. I am getting out the insulated bike gear and switching over. Will take the skis into the shop and put the summer storage wax on them and call it quits.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Yep. I bailed too.   In New Orleans eat'n Cajun food
"Peace and Love"
1 ... 101112131415