327 messages Options
12345678 ... 17
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Winter Weather 2016-2017

JTG4eva!
Gore reporting 3, Whiteface 4.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
not bad, snow is snow
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
Greek Peak got 1 inch...of RAIN !  Yeah, I said it!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
pro2860 wrote
JTG4eva! wrote
Yep, and according to this morning's news it was a record ---- sad, very sad
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Southern Vermont....7+"
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by pro2860
pro2860 wrote
JTG4eva! wrote
That sucks. Greek taking it up the butt. Yeah, I said it!  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow

I thought about starting a new thread for this, but I figured I'd put it here since it's related.

I live in central New York right above the Catskills, and usually my weather is very similar to what is going on in the Catskills. the last two days have gotten into the upper 30s, and it hasn't gone much below 30 at night. The next 8 days are predicted to be similar with a several days getting into the 40s. Ten days of above average temps in a row seems like a lot. It also rained all day yesterday, and we have had at least two (maybe 3 or 4 I can't remember) rain/warm events that wash away a substantial amount of snow.

It seems like this January has been just as bad if not worse that last. The only thing that has made this winter better overall is the fact that December was average. Unlike last winter where December was 17 degrees above average.

can any of you weather weenies explain what is going on, or what is causing the extended warm cycles?

Any articles showing predictions for Feb/March?
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Things are supposed to get better.

This January has been by no means good, but not quite as bad as last year.  They had some good snowmaking windows in the beginning.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Ethan Snow wrote
can any of you weather weenies explain what is going on, or what is causing the extended warm cycles?

Any articles showing predictions for Feb/March?
There's really nothing to report.  January thaws are completely normal, although this one is more pronounced than typical.

The long range looks very good for a cold February possibly into early March.
Can we get SOME snow?  Please?
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
LOL do you follow her?
Yes, have for a long time.  My FB page is probably 1/3 mets and met-wannabes.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Just in case anyone is interested, we are about to go into the Snowpocalypse 2017 out here.

This is turning out to be one hell of a winter, long range forecasts be damned! Lines in our backcountry are filling in like we haven't seen for 12 years. I am very excited to get after some classics. One line in particular hasn't been in since 2005 at all and it's my most favorite line on the Peaks. I'm becoming a little giddy. :)

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=35.33305256126513&lon=-111.67671203613281&site=fgz&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text#.WIBQCYVOuUc
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Looks like the West will quiet down for a few weeks starting next week..

January has always sucked in the North East..Usually it's just dry and cold..It's all about Feb/March when it comes to snow..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Looks like this next precip event for Whiteface will start Monday as sleet, then change over to freezing r*in on Tuesday, then r*in, and then finally change to snow on Wednesday.  Hopefully the forecasted temps drop and there ends up being more snow than ncp.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Just in case anyone is interested, we are about to go into the Snowpocalypse 2017 out here.
What's the water level like, i.e. Lake Mead?  Are you still in a drought?  (BTW, when is a desert not in a drought?)
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
Anybody know if Gore escaped the rain from this and remained all snow? As I watched the radar over the past couple days it looked like it did not change over, however, the trail report listing conditions as frozen/loose granular make me think otherwise (not that it means anything).

Debating whether to ski Gore this weekend or head over to Mt. Snow. I would prefer to ski Gore since I then don't need a hotel room or have to drive an extra 2 hours to get there, but Mt. Snow looks like it will ski pretty good with the 7+ they got since Tuesday. If Gore is skiing good though would prefer to save $$ on a VT trip and wait until they get a little more natural.

Glad the long range is looking better for Feb. Looks like this system for Mon-Wed next week may be starting to trend colder. Was originally looking like all rain.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
almost all of the water for Lake Mead comes from the Colorado/Wyoming /Utah Rockies. So it's all about the snow pack and spring run off..

the government manages the devil out of that water..If they do a big release at the Glen Canyon then Mead will finally start to fill back up..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
In reply to this post by Kleetus
Kleetus wrote
Glad the long range is looking better for Feb. Looks like this system for Mon-Wed next week may be starting to trend colder. Was originally looking like all rain.
Also been watching the trend move colder...hoping this holds out...

This weekend now looking like possible mix on Saturday?
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Looks like a slight chance of some light showers into Saturday morning, but doesn't look like much, if anything.  One forecast showing light snow to mix to ncp.  Another forecast showing the freezing level looks to be 7k  with temps near 40 for Saturday, which would preclude a mix.  Either was, looks onconsequential.  Cools off a little Sunday.  Looks like a decent shot of snow Monday night transitioning to ncp for Tuesday.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by Kleetus
Kleetus wrote
Anybody know if Gore escaped the rain from this and remained all snow?
Freezing rain did mix in, leaving about 3" of edgeable granular. Very nice to ski on, but will change for the worse if temps drop.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Looks like this next precip event for Whiteface will start Monday as sleet, then change over to freezing r*in on Tuesday, then r*in, and then finally change to snow on Wednesday.  Hopefully the forecasted temps drop and there ends up being more snow than ncp.
It's not really an issue of forecasted temps, it's an issue of how strong (or not) the blocking is, which will determine how far south (or not) cold air will go.

The trend is our friend, as the 12z GFS that just came out has bent to the Canuck.   The Poconos still get messed up, but NY & VT get snow.  Berks mostly snow, NH a mixed bag.  Hopefully this verifies as it could save our bacon.  Oddly though, the 12z Canadian looks "less good" than it did yesterday, but still mostly spares ADK and n.VT.
12345678 ... 17