classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
302 messages Options
1234 ... 16
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Winter Weather 2019-2020

PeeTex
I went back to last years thread and saw that the prediction from Snowbird Bob was pretty close to what we had. Unfortunately I can't find where he did a similar map for this year but he does seem to be buying into the Farmers Almanac's prediction:

The "Wet and wild" seems to be more for the coastal regions where for our area - lots of snow.
It would be nice.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Winter Weather 2019-2020

Johnnyonthespot
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Looks good! Hope he’s right again
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
I'm excited.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis1
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=254982781215764&ref=content_filter been following 1 really great forecaster of weather on Facebook for a while
She correct for like 90 % of time.
Here what she thinks for this coming season
I highly recommend her for people here
A quick look ahead.

Dorian is going to pull down some cold air from Canada.  So will see some fall-like weather move into the area for the rest of the week.  This cooler  ( more fall-like) northern and eastern Great Lakes into the Northeast for  the  first half of next week.

But if you're a fan of summer-like weather, don't despair.  the weak El Nino of early 2019 remained weak and more or less dissipated in June. ENSO Neutral Conditions are now in place.  This mean that neither El Nino or La Nina. This means that other indexes will take more of a front seat.  We have that warm ring in the northern Pacific and off the Northwest Coast; we also have these warm SST off the East Coast.

Those should bring cool air into the Northern Plans, Western Great Lakes, into the Midwest. But by the time we get closer to next weekend, I think the Northeast into Mid Atlantic will see some above average warmth. That warmth should go into the rest of September, and most likely into October (at least the first part).  

Our region could very well see above average temperatures. Through the 2nd half of September and October. But remember temperatures this time of year, are not the same kind of temperatures we see in July and August.    Precipitation For the next 45 days should end up generally above average as well. Those warm SST in the Atlantic and the cool to our west, should setup the same general battleground we've been having for much of 2019.

As far as winter 2019-2020. We  most likely will start out warm into the first third, again those warm SST in the Atlantic. But then for the rest of the winter I think we will be at least slightly below average.  I see the same general precipitation pattern from this fall, lasting through winter 2019-2010.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
With Dorian pulling that cold air down they were expecting snow on the Gaspe Peninsula.....although it’s not uncommon to see flakes there is September, even the end of August.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Jim Steenburgh's winter prediction and graphic on Wasatch Weather Weenies:

Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Jamesdeluxe wrote

Geez, he should at least make a distinction between the Mid-A and southeast states that have ski areas/resorts based on snowmaking from states bordering Florida and Texas.  Plus the midwest states with snowmaking.

I've skied fresh powder in VA. But only because I don't have to fly to get to Massanutten at short notice before the roads close in northern VA and NC.  ;-)
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
Jamesdeluxe wrote

This is great! (And sadly accurate for every year)

I'm not in the business of making climate predictions, but one thing I'm confident in saying is that powder days south of the Catskills (and sadly, in the Catskills) will decline significantly in the coming years.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Steenburgh is prof at Univ Ut..He is the leading expert on SLC snow..

the map is a tongue in cheek forecast...but as matt said , accurate..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
JasonWx wrote
Steenburgh is prof at Univ Ut..He is the leading expert on SLC snow..

the map is a tongue in cheek forecast...but as matt said , accurate..
I know.  Have his book that explains why LCC is unique.  I'm an Altaholic.

It's always funny to me how folks out west lump almost everything east of the Mississippi together from Maine to FL to Texas.  I'm a New Yorker who married a man from the midwest (MN, Chicago).  Midwesterners are also flatlanders like people in the east from a skiing perspective but very different in other ways. :-)
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Altaholic here as well - I’ve only had 2 bad trips there in the last 30 years. Yes - the terrain is familiar but the snow never gets old.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis1
In reply to this post by PeeTex
Hope this forecast coming true
https://wx4cast.blogspot.com/2019/09/my-preliminary-look-at-winter-2019-2020.html?m=1
I been following her forecast a lot on Facebook her predictions for snow falling days before storms are very accurate
https://www.facebook.com/254982781215764/posts/2365951096785578/
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Here's a map from Rebecca's post:

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
We got some snow today up in the alpine!

Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Early blessings in the PNW too... snow levels coming down to 6k.  Could be a September Powday out on the Muir Snowfield this weekend.

Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
This could be a historic September storm...
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
indeed

Up 2-4 ft in the Montana high country..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

2000yearoldskier
The forcast is 1 to 6 inches valley 1 to 3 feet mountans tonite through sunday.HHMMM
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
1234 ... 16