1 ... 111213141516
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Winter Weather 2019-2020

Harvey
Administrator
JTG4eva! wrote
Shit, Benny just called the EC season toast after next week’s messy Tues/Wed!  Thinking that’s a bit alarmist, but he seems to be all about WC lately....
May be looking at this...

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I think we will be into spring skiing a month earlier this season and it won't last long.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
https://www.weather.gov/images/aly/winter/StormTotalSnowWeb.png

I also agree after this weekend, we loose the cold for the following week....not that we really ever had it
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Above normal temps aren’t good, but maps like that don’t tell how much above normal temps will be, no?  14 days of high temps around 40 would be above normal, but not catastrophic.  If temps are going to get into the 50s and above during that time, that would be bad.  One 14 day I’m looking at has 6 of the next 14 days above freezing, but only 2 in the 40s.  That’s above normal, but not terrible.  Jury’s still out?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

NYSnowflake
I have three horses to work once the ground is ice-free but I was hoping to ski until mid-April, then switch to horsing around. I hope a change of plans is not in order. I have a goal to ski 50+ days this season and I am only at 35 right now.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
My farrier is coming in a few weeks to put shoes on. That should trigger a good storm .😁
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
wonderpony wrote
My farrier is coming in a few weeks to put shoes on. That should trigger a good storm .😁
One of my great regrets in life is not going to farrier school when I returned from AK. I’m not complaining about my current life in any way but I think I would have been good at that and wish I’d given it a chance
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
4:30 am NYSB Radar
I don't rip, I bomb.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
wonderpony wrote
One of my great regrets in life is not going to farrier school when I returned from AK.
mine is having children.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

Snowing in New York
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Time to go see if the 18 inches WF is reporting is legit.  Currently snowing lightly at WF.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
That’s a good lake effect flow for Whiteface, they are saying 20 now on top
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
This post was updated on .
I know pretty much everyone does it, but I always felt that WF notoriously exaggerates.

Recall a few weeks ago Gore reported something like 4-6" overnight (and we happened to be @ Gore so knew that was pretty accurate). WF instagram touted like 16".....a little research showed that 16" occurred over about 4 days....

And their photos are so ridiculously over filtered---their snow is whiter than my mother's wedding dress in every single shot. It's something our family laughs about with each update

It's not outright lying....but rather a supreme stretching of the truth of a higher order.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
WF reporting 24 inches now
Reply | Threaded
|

Cadence Lodge
In reply to this post by NorEaster27
I'm about 3 miles north and 3 or 400 feet lower than WF.  We got 3" of super nice powder overnight in my parking lot and I'm sure the mountain got more.  Skied yesterday and the snow was deep and dried up as you went higher.  20" over the last 24-36 hours sounds very credible to me.  This weekend should be very, very good.  Don't walk, RUN to Whiteface!
Visit us at cadencelodge.com http://www.cadencelodge.com/
Reply | Threaded
|

Cadence Lodge
In reply to this post by SIAWOL
SIAWOL wrote
I know pretty much everyone does it, but I always felt that WF notoriously exaggerates.
To each their own but I honestly I find the exact opposite to be true - sometimes to the point of under-reporting.  I've been there this year skiing boot deep powder while the website reported 1 or 2 inches.  

I think WF's reporting is very accurate and stands in stark contrast to certain mountains to our east.
Visit us at cadencelodge.com http://www.cadencelodge.com/
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
Sounds like One of the best days ever at WF
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
Yup.  Epic isn’t a word I use often, but it would fit.

No doubt WF takes some liberties at times (who doesn’t), but up top 24 was no lie.  Knee deep, and pretty light for EC powder.  Granted, by the afternoon you had to hunt and explore, but it was good.  Really good.
1 ... 111213141516