46 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Yellow Yellow the Adirondack Bear is Killed

Harvey
Administrator
From the Adirondack Daily Enterprise:

LAKE PLACID - A hunter has shot and killed the well-known High Peaks black bear known as Yellow Yellow, according to the state Department of Environmental Conservation.

The roughly 20-year-old sow was killed on Friday, Oct. 21 in the town of Jay, said DEC spokesman Dave Winchell. The hunter contacted DEC because the bear was wearing a radio collar, which was later used to identify her, Winchell said. Neither of bear's yellow ear tags were on her ears when DEC wildlife checked, and the hunter reported that the animal did not have them when he shot it.

Yellow Yellow was well known among backcountry users in the High Peaks because she was easily identifiable due to her two ear tags. The markers were given to her by the DEC in 2004 after she was captured as part of a bear study in the High Peaks. The tags were often noted by campers who had spotted her raiding their campsites for food.

http://adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/533958/Famous-bear-bandit-is-killed.html
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Yellow Yellow the Adirondack Bear is Killed

Sick Bird Rider
Full disclosure: I do not hunt. Deer hunting, even moose hunting, I get that. Bear hunting makes no sense.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Tis the season to get drunk and shoot at anything moving in the woods.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I don't hunt, but given enough time and a lack of predators these things will be a real problem. The population is exploding. We are FEEDING them even as we hunt them.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
ml242 wrote
I don't hunt, but given enough time and a lack of predators these things will be a real problem. The population is exploding. We are FEEDING them even as we hunt them.
Huh? Bears ARE top o' the food chain. They have no predator other than man. That said, the population is pretty healthy in NY but hardly exploding.

From http://www.esf.edu/pubprog/brochure/bears/bears.htm
"Food abundance and diversity is a critical part of Adirondack black bear habitat. Food availability also plays a key role in population dynamics. Lack of adequate food resources has been shown to have a direct negative effect on female reproductive rates, age of maturity, survival of young, and growth in black bears. Indirectly, food resource limitations in the wild can lead to increased bear/human interactions. Some hungry bears will seek out landfills, garbage cans, or public campsites as alternative sources of food. Many humans are intolerant of bears around their homes or camps, and the bear is usually the loser in any confrontation. Feeding bears acclimates them towards humans and their surroundings, increasing the potential of "nuisance bear" problems. Removal of excessive numbers of nuisance bears can have a negative impact on the population."
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
This post was updated on .
Bear sightings in queensbury glens falls area have been high this fall. Several cubs have been killed by cars, several others captured, moved
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
That shows how much you know about hunters. Maybe that shit goes on wherever u hunt but nobody I know hunts that way. please stay out of my woods.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Benny Profane wrote
Tis almost the season to get drunk and go skiing.
FIFY

Are those the same people?
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
campgottagopee wrote
Benny Profane wrote
That shows how much you know about hunters. Maybe that shit goes on wherever u hunt but nobody I know hunts that way. please stay out of my woods.

They don't hunt my way. But, we get drunk.

C'mon, what's more American than getting drunk and shooting your gun. Are you trying to tell me that most of those guys out there are sober, or, at least, aren't a whole lot hungover?
funny like a clown
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
hmmm, is that a beer can by your rifle?
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
frk wrote
I laughed!
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by frk
frk wrote
LOL!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Benny Profane wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Benny Profane wrote

They don't hunt my way. But, we get drunk.

C'mon, what's more American than getting drunk and shooting your gun. Are you trying to tell me that most of those guys out there are sober, or, at least, aren't a whole lot hungover?
Drunk??? NEVER!!! Whole lot hungover?? Nah, those guys never get out of bed on time so they're left behind to clean dishes.

I was more talking about the "shoot anything moving in the woods". That's just crazy talk. Every year I read where some city boy comes up here to hunt and ends up shooting some guys cow, horse or goat thinking it was a deer. I don't get that. Rule #1 in hunting is know your surroundings and your target 100%. That's what hunters do.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by frk
frk wrote
yup

p.s. i laughed too
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
the real question - is old milwaukee light really beer?
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
This post was updated on .
Feeling bad about Yellow Yellow.  Down here in NJ I wish they'd go to some kind of odd even schedule for bear hunting.  I.e. one year there's a bear season, the following year there's NO bear season.  I'd like to think this would be an OK compromise between hunters and the anti hunting lobby. (And no, I am NOT anti-hunting.)  People would be able to hunt, and the bear population would be able to rest and regroup.  8 bears got killed out where I roller ski and I missed seeing any for a year.  Finally saw a sow with cubs this spring.
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
I dont hunt, have lots of friends who do.      Some are very, very serious...some do hunt on hangovers after their 2 day  "scouting" binge before deer season officially starts.  I think the ATV has allowed a lot more "couch potatoes" into the woods than years past.    1) you dont have to hike to get to your stand and 2) you dont have to haul the carcas out.    To do those you and/or your friends have to be in shape and somewhat sober. Ski lifts allow drunk and hung over customers on the hill who otherwise would not be.   There are stupid hunters in the woods just as there are stupid riders on the slopes, both equally dangerous costing injuries and life.   Hopefully the numbers are less than 1%, but they give both sports a bad rep.  

I ran into a hunting blind in the forest just outside of LP proper.  There were decades worth of liquor bottles outside of the window.  Not sure I would even call what I would imagine occured in that blind "hunting".    Just saying,  seems like there are drunk hunters in every State.      

Don't really know where I fall on hunting of black bears.  I wish I would see more bears, but I also know there numbers are encroching on villages, eating trash.   Its an issue just like politics...you really dont know who to believe and each set of facts are likely twisted to support their position, including but not limited to the game service.    I do feel sad when I see a cub "harvested"  Just don't get it and never will.     Conversely, totally ok with shooting an older bear that has reproduced often and may be near the end of it's life cycle.    I:)skiing's black bear guideline:  "Must be gray or graying" .    
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
My mother and brother were backpacking in the high peaks this past August.  Yellow Yellow came in to their campsite with two cubs.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by I:)skiing
I:)skiing wrote
 .  I think the ATV has allowed a lot more "couch potatoes" into the woods than years past.    1) you dont have to hike to get to your stand and 2) you dont have to haul the carcas out.      

Agree. The ATV has also allowed old timers and people with disabilities to continue doing what the love to do, hunt.

Old timers are my favorite part of camp. Our ring leader will be 80 when we head to camp this weekend and I can't wait to hear the same old storys. They just keep getting funnier and funnier.
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
campgottagopee wrote
Old timers are my favorite part of camp. Our ring leader will be 80 when we head to camp this weekend and I can't wait to hear the same old storys. They just keep getting funnier and funnier.
That's awesome!!!

I often ski with a couple of Whiteface "old-timers", and I have to agree with you ... it's awesome to hang out with these guys and get their perspective on almost anything ... We "younger" guys still have a lot to learn!!!

Have a great weekend out there, and be safe.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!