67 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new yorks best powder hill

Noah John
MikeK wrote
Hey, maybe I'll see you at Oktoberfest.  
Oh, do stop by and say hello.  That'll be memorable.  For one of us.

MikeK wrote
Remember, when you're dead, I'll still be skiing.
Hahah!  You don't even ski NOW.  You flop around on golf courses and generally make a fool of yourself.  

Even if you're not Powder Ass, (just a complete coincidence I guess) I managed to smoke your fat ass out so I could kick it around some more.  You're my puppet on a string:  Dance you chubby little bag of cellulite!  
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Oh man, we need a baggage tax for when people bring issues from other forums.

Noah, I'm afraid that you're going to have to let one go, we can't let you post with all of that.

But remember, first grudge flies for free at the NYSB!
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Anywhere on the internet where people are actually friendly?
Anyone with common sense knows glade skiing is dangerous. Common sense. You're an adult. You can take a risk if you want. Just stating facts and my personal preference. There are trees everywhere that you'll hit if you fall vs landing on snow on a trail. Recipe for head injury. And the notion of NVT getting west coast type snow is kind of amusing. I never made a personal attack on here, but this quickly degraded. I found this site by googling for snow ridge pics and found some good stuff. Big mistake thinking the forum might be friendly.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
PowderAssassin wrote
Anyone with common sense knows glade skiing is dangerous. Common sense. You're an adult. You can take a risk if you want. Just stating facts and my personal preference. There are trees everywhere that you'll hit if you fall vs landing on snow on a trail. Recipe for head injury. And the notion of NVT getting west coast type snow is kind of amusing. I never made a personal attack on here, but this quickly degraded. I found this site by googling for snow ridge pics and found some good stuff. Big mistake thinking the forum might be friendly.
Mikey, you play that card everywhere you go.  But don't stop doing it because if these ski forums weren't crawling with mental defectives they'd be pretty boring.  Post more fatso!
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
I'm friendly,

However, today I read a few of your posts.     My first impression was not good.    Perhaps asking some friends to review them with you for self-awareness would be of benefit.   One thing to remember on forums: People can't see your expressions when you type.     We all read and think differently.    There is an art to covenying thoughts in black and white.   I admit I fail often.    

Mentioned only to help.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
In reply to this post by Noah John
Glade skiing may seem dangerous but not, really if you are a good skier and can handle bumps.  A lot of times the woods hold way more snow than the trails and its a good place to go when its really cold.  Its also not crowded so chances of collisions with other skiers is reduced.  You are probably more likely to get hurt on a crowded green with a bunch of inexperienced riders.  
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
PowderAssassin wrote

This has intermediate with big mouth written all over it. Nothing wrong with intermediates.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
I remember when I was an intermediate.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
PowderAssassin wrote
Anyone with common sense knows glade skiing is dangerous. Common sense. You're an adult. You can take a risk if you want. Just stating facts and my personal preference. There are trees everywhere that you'll hit if you fall vs landing on snow on a trail. Recipe for head injury.
Somehow most all the deaths are from idiots flying off a trail and hitting a tree.  Not people purposely skiing in the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Idiots flying into trees is not specifically an EC phenomenon.
Reply | Threaded
|

kenneywallace
Wow, where did the topic go, come on guys, if you want to insult each other atlease do it in a bar........ garentee you wouldnt say the same stuff when your not behind the screen

Again what does all this have to do with powder?

I can give that some love manmade over real, not going to insult over that, but come one the question was which ny area do you think has the best powder, not who can realy ski or not, or who the biggest ass is...... play nice
Black diamonds, the easy way down, less moving hazzards
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
PowderAssassin wrote
Here's an official NWS climate reporting site from near the base of jay peak. It's nowhere near what they're reporting at the ski area.
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web/datasets/GHCNDMS/stations/GHCND:USC00434189/detail
"From near the base" are the key words. Have you actually skied Jay Peak before? The snow is dramatically deeper above the flats of the lower mountain. That measurement appears to be below the lowest chairlift. Mansfield official numbers also underreport because of the location of the reading, it probably isn't mid-mountain on a leeward aspect. Not "taking it personally" as you suggest. I've called BS quite a few times on Jay's official reporting. But I find that more often than not, they are spot on. Can't speak for this NWS measuring spot but I don't think it is a very good representation of the mountain. Nor is a good citation for you to use.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
So, we can all agree on Snow Ridge for New York's Best Powder Hill, right?

Cool, topic closed.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
Taken from Snow Ridges website:

Researchers on a $4 million study of Lake Ontario lake effect snow packed up and headed home after collecting mountains of snow data in December 2013.  That data should help predict when and where lake-effect snow storms will hit in the future, said one of the researchers.

"We're getting a better understanding of where lake effect is happening, why it's more intense or less intense and why the bands move over time," said Josh Wurman, president of the Severe Weather Research Center in Colorado, which was part of the study.  "The goal is being able to forecast these better."

About 100 researchers & scientists from Alabama to Wyoming converged on Tug Hill in early December for the study, funded by the National Science Foundation.  The study deployed truck-mounted radar, weather balloons & even a plane from the University of Wyoming that flew directly into the storms.  In six weeks of data-gathering, researchers encountered 24 lake-effect events, double what they predicted.

"We picked a perfect year" Wurman said.  "We have more data than we had ever hoped for."  Some areas of Tug Hill received more than 15' of snow in December.  Among early findings:  Tug Hill snow can be drier and more powdery that Utah's mountain snow, and lightning during snow storms can extend farther inland than previously thought.

(Portions of the above are from syracuse.com February 2, 2014- Glenn Coin)

So somewhere in that area received 15 feet of snow in just December.  180" in a month is nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by riverc0il
riverc0il wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
Here's an official NWS climate reporting site from near the base of jay peak. It's nowhere near what they're reporting at the ski area.
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web/datasets/GHCNDMS/stations/GHCND:USC00434189/detail
"From near the base" are the key words. Have you actually skied Jay Peak before? The snow is dramatically deeper above the flats of the lower mountain. That measurement appears to be below the lowest chairlift. Mansfield official numbers also underreport because of the location of the reading, it probably isn't mid-mountain on a leeward aspect. Not "taking it personally" as you suggest. I've called BS quite a few times on Jay's official reporting. But I find that more often than not, they are spot on. Can't speak for this NWS measuring spot but I don't think it is a very good representation of the mountain. Nor is a good citation for you to use.
Any mountain is going to have a little deeper snow the farther you go up. But not THAT much of a difference.
Keep grasping at straws ;) This is a SORE spot for east coasters because it's their claim to fame for powder. That's why people get SOOO pissed off when you dare question northern VT snow totals. Hey if you believe wolf creek and jay peak are pretty close then believe it. It doesn't matter to me :)

I know from watching and waiting to go to jay peak for storms, how little they get. Even snow ridge gets more. Follow the NWS forecasts and you can even pay attention to jay peaks reports. Snow ridge kicks their ass. Any time you get a cold front and some winds behind it...it DUMPS. Jay peak you're waiting for the perfect low pressure setup and then you still end up with those damn winds when the isobars get tight and you're that high with not much near that height in surrounding terrain. Out west you get CONSTANT barrage of lows coming off the pacific and then huge mountains where orographic lift takes place(ie  what they call the  "jay cloud"....what a marketing term!) Hell, mt baker gets more powder than anywhere and I still love the relatively wetter powder. Both blower dry and wetter pow can be fun.
14-15 Season:

12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
I didnt know wet snow was considered powder.  Thought powder was light like you know powder.   And I would disagree about the differences in snow from base to summit. Ive been to white face with 2 inch at the base and a foot at the summit of just the lift, not even the summit above the slides.  Jay is also known for much more snow on the upper mountain.   Everywhere is prone to have bad seasons some years.  You just have to follow the snow.  Everywhere can be awesome if they have the snow.  And some of the best places can suck and make you never want to go back if you go on the wrong day.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Glade Runner
Powder = ungroomed snow.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
Powder = ungroomed snow.
Ok so ungroomed snow that hardens up is powder?  Heavy wet slush snow is powder to right as long as it hasn't been groomed? Where did this joker come from?
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Glade Runner wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
Powder = ungroomed snow.
Ok so ungroomed snow that hardens up is powder?  Heavy wet slush snow is powder to right as long as it hasn't been groomed? Where did this joker come from?
Of course not. Why are you nitpicking my words. I consider freshly fallen snow as powder. Kind of self explanitory. Just because it's a little wetter than utah blower dry doesn't mean it's still not powder. Get off my ass bro
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)