classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
67 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new yorks best powder hill

Gorefarmhouse
mattchuck2 wrote
Well, Snow Ridge averages 230" a year and I don't see any other mountain in NY with that high of a total.
Kissing Bridge in the snowbelt south of Buffalo got 250" last season.  Unfortunately it rained twice during the winter.  Can't compare it to the west :(

https://www.facebook.com/kissingbridge/photos/a.446805332001850.122791.152775634738156/945252088823836/?type=1&theater
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Gorefarmhouse wrote
mattchuck2 wrote
Well, Snow Ridge averages 230" a year and I don't see any other mountain in NY with that high of a total.
Kissing Bridge in the snowbelt south of Buffalo got 250" last season.  Unfortunately it rained twice during the winter.  Can't compare it to the west :(

https://www.facebook.com/kissingbridge/photos/a.446805332001850.122791.152775634738156/945252088823836/?type=1&theater
I specifically said the lake effect areas get more snow than anywhere else on the ec. :) You still can't compare it to
Alta, mt bathelor, grand targhee, wolf creek ect. ect.
Alta got over 432 inches last year. Jay peak got 319. So not a huge difference if you believe jay peak reports.
http://www.jaypeakresort.com/index.php/skiing-riding/the-mountain/snowfall-charts/
http://www.alta.com/pages/snowfallhistory.php
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gorefarmhouse
Sorry, only looked at the first page and replied a simple point of information to what someone said about 230" being the most snow a resort got in NYS.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Gorefarmhouse
Gorefarmhouse wrote
mattchuck2 wrote
Kissing Bridge in the snowbelt south of Buffalo got 250" last season.
Okay, But Kissing Bridge averages 180". Last year sounds like it was good, though.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
I'd thought Alta had reported 880" a few years ago and didn't see it clicking through the years, but still those numbers are incredible.  The 400-500 inch years are definitely mediocre years for Alta.  They close with a base that is over your head.

I'm guessing that Jay's numbers are probably exaggerated by a "normal" marketing amount, whatever that is.  Maybe 10-20%. I get this feeling that Jay thinks like they have to end the year just a little beyond whatever Stowe reports to hold their claim to fame.  SBR didn't name his blog the Real Jay Peak Snow Report for nothing.

Alta ... I mean come on why exaggerate?  Not saying they don't, I have no idea. But there's no point to it.

GFM... rain (IMO only) two times seems pretty good to me.

Best powder hill in NY (that I've skied) is Snow Ridge. Good snow, limitless untracked if you are willing to hike a little, no real competition.  I'd like to know more about Holiday Valley.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

greif
In reply to this post by kenneywallace
Just because of the name it must be:  Powder Mills Park
The hill (the Powderhorn) and  "Little Tug" rope tow  is a 100 foot learning hill, located in a Monroe county park Southeast of Rochester.
As a bonus the park has about 10 miles of XC trails too!
Reply | Threaded
|

skunkape
Haha Internet beef. Anyone responding to any of this crap got trolled. You guys calling each other names on the internet, pretty sure your mama would not be proud of that.