not a big deal but

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
72 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

not a big deal but

JamesP
I ski Hunter on weekdays the lodge is not too crowded but they play terrible maudlin soft rock over lousy speakers, if I hear Adelle moaning [she's not my style but on a good sound system she has a good voice] one more time I may switch to Windham,
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: not a big deal but

sig
go to gore if you would rather hear 70's rock music. i can't believe there 8 track player still works.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
sig wrote
go to gore if you would rather hear 70's rock music. i can't believe there 8 track player still works.
I dig striding out in teleboots to snag first chair, with "Welcome to the Machine" blasting out.

Great title for a thread. Lots of room to roam.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by sig
One of my favorite things about Gore is the base lodge soundtrack.   Just right for middle aged white guys like me.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Did they give up on live music in the Gore bar? Stage is gone over in that corner of the room.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Petronio
Petronio wrote
One of my favorite things about Gore is the base lodge soundtrack.   Just right for middle aged white guys like me.

Petronio

You have to stop yourself and think, man, that song is 50 years old.
funny like a clown
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Did they give up on live music in the Gore bar? Stage is gone over in that corner of the room.
they have music scheduled through march 24th. check out Erin Harkes on march 4th
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
Benny Profane wrote
Petronio wrote

Petronio

More often I am stopping to think, man, I am almost 50 years old.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
I skiied hunter last year due trying to the peak pass and I swear I had this same convo with my brother multiple times.  We would try to guess which employee is in charge of the horrible music playing.  
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
In reply to this post by Harvey
not a big deal but...

why can't the food service scanners scan the bar code of the season pass if it's in my velcro arm holder thing, but the lift op scanners can?

(I know, I know.....different scanner models, but still.....)

PITA having to take it out of the holder all the time.
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
not a big deal but...

the fireplace in the saddle not working at all this season due to airflow/draft issues? C'mon man.

my personal theory is the new roofline of the saddle influenced the induced draft air flow for the chimney, as I don't think the chimney height changed at all.

not getting addressed until summer I'm told.
Reply | Threaded
|

JamesP
Wow I hope Hunter reads this, during the week old guys are a definite majority along with some college kids and NYC police and fire. A little Stones or Allman Brothers would be most welcome. would go to Gore but way to far to drive just for my beef with Hunter's lousy music, They have finally added Chicken Soup as a default soup in the lodge so they got that goin for them, and btw their snowmaking this year has been fantastic, so I can put up with a little Adelle but would much rather Mick and the boys.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
Petronio wrote

Petronio
That's not for middle aged guys, it's more for the Medicare weekday crowd.

Enjoy it while it lasts.  When the guy who controls that 8 track dies they're gonna skip disco and go straight to classic rap.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
There were no tunes in the Gore lodge today.

Maybe they shut it down after a couple of U16s from one of those fancy academies complained.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Not a big deal but... Lately I've been thinking The Who must be the greatest rock band of all time.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Benny Profane wrote
Petronio wrote

Petronio

Nirvana is now classic rock, man I'm F'n old.
Reply | Threaded
|

da-bum
I ski in Hunter on weekdays enough.  I don't remember ever hearing music in the cafeteria of the lodge, but by downstairs where the lockers are, all I ever hear are what I always refer to my wife as fossil rock....70's hard rock such as Lynard Skynard, Jethro Tull, etc.  Once in a while, some younger fossiler must have gotten their hand on the music, and all I hear are neanderthal rock..80's hard rock such as Scorpions, etc.

I thought for college week, they would play something from this millennium, but they stuck to dinosaur music.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Ha, well, as long as this is a discussion about classic rock (it is, isn't it?), then I let's talk about this weird longevity of Boomer music. It's almost bizarre. Like I said, a lot of the stuff you're hearing is 50 years old or older, if we're talking British Invasion. Think about that. Put yourself into the same place some fourteen year old inhabits, hearing that in public places. That's the equivilant of me having to listen to music from the 19 teens when I was that age. What did that music even sound like?
I just listened to a long interview with Steve VanZandt of Springsteen and Sopranos fame on the WTF podcast (excellent interviewer. I'm really into podcasts on my drives now). He was talking about his history, and the short period in his early career when he toured with the "Oldies" road shows of the early 70s. Remember them? They were the guys and ladies from the late 50s and early 60s who were big hits on the radio, then got cast aside as soon as the British Invasion hit. He was saying how a lot of those people were fairly bitter about the situation, how they felt themselves to be originators and pioneers, now reduced to much lesser venues and fame and money. But, here we are today, and the Rolling Stones are, I'm pretty sure, still thinking about touring. I think one of them breaks 80 soon. 80. Its almost comical. I still hear Zep on sound systems near halpipes at ski areas. The Who is still performing, and, they're literally half dead!

Thank god for Spotify and college radio. The only way I get to hear new music. I have a thousand seat venue in my town, but the only acts are, duh, oldie Bommer geezers. I saw Hot Tuna a few years ago, and Jorma had to sit down most of the time because of his back. Funniest thing I saw all night from the balcony was the first few rows struggle to get up to do a bent over "standing" ovation. Now the new thing is tribute bands on tour. Most of the Beatles dead? No problem, we'll fake it with a bar band so you can get your fix.

Anyway, what are you guys doing hanging in the Hunter lodge? Get out there and carve ice! Show those little punks how it's done. Get off my bump run, you little brats.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Need more of DMC's band at Hunter!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I think those bands are still big because 1. The boomer generation is HUGE demographically speaking and 2. A lot of pop music in the 80s sucked balls, giving rise to the classic-rock genre radio stations. When I was a kid I listened to classic rock and heavy metal more then I did the music that was big in the 80s.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller