82 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 2013/2014 Season Pass

Benny Profane
skunkape wrote
Benny Profane wrote
Ausable, come join the 21st century. Vail corp has been killing it out west with multi mountain passes and pricing for over a decade. The East deserves something like that, somewhere. Trust me, it will actually save skiing. Lift tickets are absurdly expensive. This will create the illusion for the 8 day a year skier that they are getting a whole lot, when, in reality, skier traffic will not increase much at your beloved WF. And then, maybe some of those mountain owners over in Vermont will be forced to compete with their own partnerships. I once owned a combo Killington/Sugarbush season pass. Heaven. Bring that on. Ski hills are pricing themselves out of business otherwise.
Does anyone remember when I posted this list:
Epic Season Pass to ski at:-
-Vail
-Beaver Creek
-Breckenridge
-Keystone
-Heavenly
-Northstar
-Kirkwood: $659.
Unlimited Riding at Kirkwood, no restrictions: $379
Unlimited Gold Pass for Squaw Valley AND Alpine Meadows: $749

Season Pass at Belleayre: $667.
Hunter Mountain: $749 Early Bird, Currently $849
Gore: $869
Windham: $1259
Stratton: $1569

So yeah, RIP OFF! The Vail Epic Season pass is just that: Epic.........

You forgot what I think is the best mountain on the Epic - A Basin (longest season). And, that new Liftopia ticket/deal that basically has mountains like JHole, Squaw, and Alta (now, that's a trifecta there) patnering up for fantastic free and half off deals makes the east just look all that much shabbier.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Harvey
some good stuff in here.  

three mtn pass would 4sure give Belle a bump

I really like the option to group your season pass w/ other ORDA venues.  

Def should keep an option for just WF/Gore and one mtn only.  No way wf skiers will drive south for Belle.  Hell most of us up here don't even drive south for Bore, I mean Gore....  

JayFace / WhiteJay....  A WF/ Jay Peak pass would rock it!  WF and Jay share a skier base already.  It be huge to unite the best skiing and riding in the east!!!  HPD,push it on AK.  

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
This is such a weird conversation. At this point, people are just advocating for what they want personally. Okay, fine, if that's the way it is, here's what I want:

Season Pass to Gore, with free skiing privileges for 10 days at WF, MRG, Stowe, Killington, and West. And I want it to cost $400.

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
mattchuck2 wrote

Season Pass to Greek Peak, with free skiing privileges for 10 days at WF, Smuggs, Stowe, Platekill, and Snow Ridge. And I want it to cost $399.
I'm in
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
This is such a weird conversation. At this point, people are just advocating for what they want personally.
I don't really think it's about advocating what anyone wants personally, I think it's about suggestions for what ORDA might consider doing.

As a reminder, the original post for this thread was:

Highpeaksdrifter wrote
IF ORDA where to offer a WF, Gore and Belleyre full season pass how do you think it would affect each mountain if at all?

Do you think it would cause much of a competitive advantage for Belleyre over the other 3 Catskill ski areas?

If you live in southern NY or NJ would you buy one?
It seems pretty clear based on the responses here, that there probably isn't much, if any interest, in paying EXTRA for a three mountain pass. It also seems pretty clear that if ORDA were to raise prices for everyone, but include Belleayre as an "offeset", most people would not view that very positively.

What the responses do seem to indicate, is that people would prefer to have options, if possible, with regard to buying an ORDA pass.

This is nothing more than a VERY informal approach to "market research". Market research involves gathering opinions, and then making strategic decisions based on the information gathered.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Face4Me wrote
This is nothing more than a VERY informal approach to "market research". Market research involves gathering opinions, and then making strategic decisions based on the information gathered.

Ha. If ORDA did any kid of market research, they'd be surprised that there's well over ten million people south of Albany to advertise to.

Oh, and, how about opening up a few more lifts on weekdays? Like over in Vermont/ You know, hills run by people who actually do market research.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by Face4Me
Face4Me wrote
It's not even that Face, I just wanted to start a thread that would give us something to talk about. Since so many forum members care a great deal about 1 or more of the ORDA run ski areas I thought it would be a good topic.

BTW, I was talking to your daughter for a little bit at KK on Monday. She seems like a really nice kid.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
This is such a weird conversation. At this point, people are just advocating for what they want personally. Okay, fine, if that's the way it is, here's what I want:

Season Pass to Gore, with free skiing privileges for 10 days at WF, MRG, Stowe, Killington, and West. And I want it to cost $400.
I think they’re mostly advocating personally for what they want that is realistic. As many have mentioned I think a “Make your on ORDA venue pass” would be very cool. That seems to me like it would be plausible, but maybe not. Things are complicated in any big business.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Ha. If ORDA did any kid of market research, they'd be surprised that there's well over ten million people south of Albany to advertise to.

Oh, and, how about opening up a few more lifts on weekdays? Like over in Vermont/ You know, hills run by people who actually do market research.
I'm suprised such an internet expert as yourself does not know how to spell kind.....

Hey Harv, how about an ignore button.....
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
It's not even that Face, I just wanted to start a thread that would give us something to talk about. Since so many forum members care a great deal about 1 or more of the ORDA run ski areas I thought it would be a good topic.
Please let me hold to my naive belief that ORDA management browses this forum from time to time, and may actually consider some of what's posted here! If I give up on that, then there'd be no reason for me to post here at all. Keep hope alive!!!

Highpeaksdrifter wrote
BTW, I was talking to your daughter for a little bit at KK on Monday. She seems like a really nice kid.
Thanks! She told me she was talking with you. She's OK ... I guess I'll keep her!!!
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
Benny Profane wrote
Face4Me wrote

You're just talking out of you hind quarters; but I guess that's what forums are for. I bet there are people who look at your business from the outside and believe they have ideas on how to change it for the better too.

Put a chairlift there, make more snow here, put glades over there, groom more, don't groom at all, charge less, do more...on and on and on.

I know little about what goes on at Gore (what I do know I like though), nothing at all about Belleyre, but ORDA has good stuff going on at WF and it's only going to get better.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Have we ever gotten to the bottom of why there is no Gore Only option?
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
This post was updated on .
Highpeaksdrifter wrote

You're just talking out of you hind quarters; but I guess that's what forums are for. I bet there are people who look at your business from the outside and believe they have ideas on how to change it for the better too.

Put a chairlift there, make more snow here, put glades over there, groom more, don't groom at all, charge less, do more...on and on and on.

I know little about what goes on at Gore (what I do know I like though), nothing at all about Belleyre, but ORDA has good stuff going on at WF and it's only going to get better.

Really? So, what are you trying to say? That ORDA and the beholden to politicians managers within (hell, the politicians who essentially run the whole show) actually do something as modern as market research? I don't think so. You wanna know why? Because I live in the upper part of NY metro, in a very wealthy neighborhood (you know, the people who ski), and NEVER see an ad for ORDA mountains in any kind of media I have my eyeballs on. Christ, there's like a zillion people with a lot of money, or, at least, credit cards, down here. It's a huge market within pretty easy driving distance. I don't even see ORDA mountain ads on any kind of internet pages I view, and I'm always searching and blabbing about skiing, so Big Brother Google has got to know what my habits are. I see ads for Stratton, Killington, Stowe, Okemo, Mt. Snow, and some western mountains, but, no ORDA. You know where I see ads for Gore and Whiteface in my life? On billboards on the highways leading to Rutland east of Lake George on my drive to Killington. Smart. What am I supposed to do? Turn around? "OH, (face palm), I coulda gone to Gore!" Who was the genius paying for those billboards?

And the business I work for lives and dies on sales revenues, so, you bet your hind quarters they do extensive market research, and do it well. They don't live off the taxpayer dime.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
In reply to this post by ausable skier
ausable skier wrote
PLEASE don't get me started on this Bell crap again. Orda can not charge one dime more for adding a mediocre Catskill ski area to its Gore and WF customers passes.  Who would pay any more for that???  Yeah you are going to say all them city folks

Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
Thacheronix wrote
Interesting that you go back to my 2nd post in thread and ignore the 95% of the other opinions that agree with me that asking WF / Gore pass holders to pay  more for adding Bell will not be well recieved.  

A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Benny Profane wrote

Because I live in the upper part of NY metro, in a very wealthy neighborhood (you know, the people who ski),
most of the people I ski with don't live in "very wealthy neighborhoods".   And they rip!    

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
ScottyJack wrote
Benny Profane wrote

Because I live in the upper part of NY metro, in a very wealthy neighborhood (you know, the people who ski),
most of the people I ski with don't live in "very wealthy neighborhoods".   And they rip!

No doubt, but, you are hardly the typical skier demographic.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Yeah, I'll concede that one.  But understand we love the new management team and will defend them in earnest!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by skunkape
skunkape wrote
Benny Profane wrote
Ausable, come join the 21st century. Vail corp has been killing it out west with multi mountain passes and pricing for over a decade. The East deserves something like that, somewhere. Trust me, it will actually save skiing. Lift tickets are absurdly expensive. This will create the illusion for the 8 day a year skier that they are getting a whole lot, when, in reality, skier traffic will not increase much at your beloved WF. And then, maybe some of those mountain owners over in Vermont will be forced to compete with their own partnerships. I once owned a combo Killington/Sugarbush season pass. Heaven. Bring that on. Ski hills are pricing themselves out of business otherwise.
RabbleRabbleRabblenumbersandstuff

So yeah, RIP OFF! The Vail Epic Season pass is just that: Epic.........
Skunkapee, think about the amount of snowmaking money put into eastern hills v. western hills. A little bird told me something like 5/6 of the Gore budget is for electricity to run the snowmaking equipment. I think the Western resorts get a little more help from Ma Nature. (Although, the Summit/Eagle County resorts are Starving for snow right now. They have about 2/3 of N.VT's YTD Snowfall).

That, and all the stuff MC2 was saying about vacation homes/weekend warriors bringing in SO much more revenue.
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
cheap season passes bring more people to the mountain where they will spend more money. gore should be making money from the food services instead of farming it out. everything you buy at disney or vail empire goes into their pocket. all gore gets is the parking money. the goal is to lure as many people to the mountain and then try to lure them into spending more money.