classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
289 messages Options
1234567 ... 15
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hunter Conditions

nyctravis
Thanks, Sal. I was skeptical too but am definitely looking forward to giving Belle a try!  I hadn't skiied much here in the east (used to live in California) until last year when I finally caved and got hooked again.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Not a single night of snowmaking temps in the next two weeks.  They'll be lucky if they can open any lifts by 12/26, forget about making the cut and opening all of them.  Luckily I ski for free next weekend @ Mount Snow due to a pass agreement with them being under Peak Resorts.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
snoloco wrote
Not a single night of snowmaking temps in the next two weeks.  They'll be lucky if they can open any lifts by 12/26, forget about making the cut and opening all of them.  Luckily I ski for free next weekend @ Mount Snow due to a pass agreement with them being under Peak Resorts.
Sno, take it easy. This is still well within the bell curve so to speak especially for an El Nino year. They'll have some marginal snowmaking temps in the next couple of weeks.  Every ski area can't be 100% operational every season regardless of weather by Christmas. It just isn't realistic weather wise or monetarily.
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
What do you all think will happen by Friday dec 11?  Do they just try to open for the 12th or 19th?  I have a bootfittin appt for the 11th so I am keeping fingers crossed....
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Not a chance.  I hope I'm wrong.  http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Hunter-Mountain/6day/mid
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
snoloco wrote
I hope I'm wrong.
learning
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by snoloco
As my two year old would say, 'Oh Mon'.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Thacheronix
Thacheronix wrote
snoloco wrote
I hope I'm wrong.
learning
Well, Sno could turn out to be right. What would that make you ? Sno schooled ?
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
This post was updated on .
I think it is going to play out like this..From now to mid month we will have marginal at best snowmaking at night. Any operator with a ounce of brains wouldn't turn on their guns.  We will have a big rain event somewhere toward mid month followed by, what looks like a pattern change.
This is based on the long range..So take it with a grain of salt..
Happy Biking...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Thanks Jason.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

nyctravis
This post was updated on .
Whoa. Looks like they have guns running now from a quick check of the web cams.
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
A friend who goes most weekends told me that their kids program was scheduled to start this weekend, so maybe they are trying to get a WROD in place by this weekend?  Hunter gets bashed here, but I think it would be a WROD if it got open . . . .
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I'll probably just go to Mount Snow anyway this weekend.  My pass gets me a free ticket there this weekend, and they're going to have a much better product than a WROD.  I finally had a choice of trails at Killington last weekend, so I'm not going back to a WROD this season.
Reply | Threaded
|

SalSal
Sno, let me ask you... Is the trip to VT nowadays (this-next weekend) worth all the sacrifice (driving from NYC, lodging, full price passes)?
Reply | Threaded
|

nyctravis
Guns look to be on again this morning. Surprised they can make snow but I'll take it!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by SalSal
SalSal wrote
Sno, let me ask you... Is the trip to VT nowadays (this-next weekend) worth all the sacrifice (driving from NYC, lodging, full price passes)?
Yes it is worth it.  Mount Snow is close enough for me to do a long day trip which is 3.5 hours each way.  My Hunter pass is valid through 12/18 at Mount Snow, so the only extra cost is the cost of the gas for the extra drive.  Mount Snow is bigger and has 3 full runs off the top open, plus a terrain park, plus a possible two additional runs off the North Face.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
your have to be out of your cotton picking mind to drive 7 hrs r/t to ski 3 WROD's....

I will not venture out to a mountain until they have 50% open..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
My WROD definition is one lift, one trail, and not full width coverage.  I have nothing better to do this time of year, so instead of sitting around and posting about how bad the weather is here and how bad the skiing is, I get outside, ski, and make the most of whatever I've got.  It's going to be for free if I go to Mount Snow, so why not take advantage of that.  

You're just pissed that Peak Resorts bought Hunter and are calling me stupid for taking advantage of the benefits the sale brought.  You sound like Powass complaining how there's no skiing nearby and refusing to drive further for better skiing.  Have you even been skiing once this year?  Maybe that explains why you're so grumpy.  I've been out 3 times already and will be getting my 4th this weekend.  While none of the days were ideal, I still had a good time.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
your have to be out of your cotton picking mind to ski 3 WROD's at all
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by snoloco
It's not for free..Gas ,Time, Food etc..
"Peace and Love"
1234567 ... 15