classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
289 messages Options
12345 ... 15
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hunter Conditions

Johnnyonthespot
Lower mountain was a war zone. My pics are coming out rotated. Up top was nice for sure. Hit some bumps and small jumps. First time skiing in 10 years. (Left the snowboard at home) think I'll stay on 2 planks.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Johnnyonthespot wrote
Lower mountain was a war zone. My pics are coming out rotated. Up top was nice for sure. Hit some bumps and small jumps. First time skiing in 10 years. (Left the snowboard at home) think I'll stay on 2 planks.
I'm curious Johnny, what prompted the switch back to skis for you ?
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Easier to to teach the kids IMO. I was never as good on a board as I was on skis. I wanted to see what all this new technology was all about. Plus I wanted to see if I still got it. ;)
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Makes sense.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe

Jason and I headed up to Hunter today and its vaunted snowmaking was blasting all over the mountain through early afternoon and on some trails even later. Lots of gunpowder on top of a rock-hard base.

By 10 am, the main lift had 10-minute waits, so we did a bunch of laps off the D lift, which was ski-on and deposited you where conditions were best: Broadway into either Ike or a really nice Racer's Edge. The other standout was Lower K-27.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
When we arrived it looked like crowds would be a issue. Turn out not the case. Very nice day , cold but not too bad..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
I just noticed this from Hunter's website for today:

Monday, January 19th - 7:15am - Good morning skiers and riders!
--------------------
We will be open today - Monday, January 19th, 2015 from 8:30am to 4pm.

**IMPORTANT INFORMATION**

-The West Side Lift, the Zephyr Express, will be closed on Monday for maintenance. We will be running shuttle buses from the bottom of the West Side to the base area from 10am to 3pm. The only trail on the West Side that will be open will be Wayout.

Come on....Lift Maintenance on a Holiday?  I've never heard of such a thing. I'm guessing this wasn't planned and there is a pretty significant safety issue with the lift otherwise, they'd be running it today and doing the "maintenance" tomorrow.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Couldn't possibly be planned right?

I can't see riding the shuttle after every run.  Maybe once unless it was off the hook.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
I heard from a reliable source that a part broke at about 1 on Saturday and they need(ed) a new part.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Was there yesterday.  I skied open to close with good conditions and moderate crowds.  West side was in awesome shape except Westway.  I only got 2 pictures.

Storm coming in.

The Milky Glades.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

scottski63
Hunter skied fast in the morning . Big crowds so we took a hike in the woods to test the crustynessHunter woods
Reply | Threaded
|

scottski63
This post was updated on .

A nice surprise couple inches this morning. Looking good for spring
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I dunno, an upside down snowpack is just ripe for avalanches.
Reply | Threaded
|

essiee
I arrived to Hunter at 8:30 this morning. Cold in the am, warm after lunch, bluebird sky, firm snow, well groomed. All the trails still have plenty of coverage and from the lift it looked like there's coverage in the woods too. I skied with two friends that are both less experienced, but was able to convince the snowboarder to try a double black for the first time in her life. We ended up skiing Clair's Way and Racers Edge multiple times and I'm pretty sure she had a blast. Clair's way was less icy than a few weeks ago. The whole mountain was almost empty till 11am and even after that the line for the Kaatskill Flyer was not bad at all. West side was empty. A great day!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Vita Coco Pondskimming & Beach Bash at Hunter Mountain has been Rescheduled!

Join us Saturday, April 11th!

HUNTER, NY – The Vita Coco Pondskimming and Beach Bash at Hunter Mountain, set for this Saturday, April 4th, has been postponed due to inclement weather. It has been rescheduled for next Saturday, April 11, 2015. The popular coconut water company, Vita Coco, will host Hunter Mountain’s Pondskimming Competition and Beach Bash next Saturday, when weather forecasts look much more appealing for skimming and beach bash festivities.
Reply | Threaded
|

scottski63

Hunter closed out with lots of snow left.
Trail 44
K27
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

Formerly Empire Glades
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Doesn't look like a glade, looks more like a natural snow trail.  Hope it gets upgrades to a snowmaking trail soon.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
snoloco wrote
Doesn't look like a glade, looks more like a natural snow trail.  Hope it gets upgrades to a snowmaking trail soon.
Actually that looks like it does have snowmaking.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
It's not a glade, hence my use of the word "formerly."  It was added to the map labeled "Empire Glades" but locals have know it as Kennedy Glade or The Magic Forest.

It's Hunter so yeah it will probably have snowmaking in the future.

12345 ... 15