289 messages Options
12345678 ... 15
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hunter Conditions

gorgonzola
JasonWx wrote
your have to be out of your cotton picking mind to drive 7 hrs r/t to ski 3 WROD's....

I will not venture out to a mountain until they have 50% open..
I thought the same last weekend but the jones is starting to set in  - I'm considering driving the same for bell sunday for one run if it holds up after seeing harv's pics  
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Would have to spend the money on food anyway.  Gas is cheap now.  As for time, I'd rather drive a long way and ski than sit on my ass all day.  If my options are sit on my ass and post on this forum, or go skiing, I'd take skiing every time.  You seem to be taking option 1 and are obviously not happy with it, considering that you constantly flame me for taking the obviously better option.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Hunter opens this weekend.  We'll see if that calms Jason down.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
  If my options are sit on my ass and post on this forum, or go skiing, I'd take skiing every time.
I didn't realize those 2 options are the only ones available
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
snoloco wrote
Would have to spend the money on food anyway.  Gas is cheap now.  As for time, I'd rather drive a long way and ski than sit on my ass all day.  If my options are sit on my ass and post on this forum, or go skiing, I'd take skiing every time.  You seem to be taking option 1 and are obviously not happy with it, considering that you constantly flame me for taking the obviously better option.
WROD ain't skiing

I don't even drive the 1 mile to go ski  that, not to mention driving 7hrs
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Hunter has the balls to charge 54.00 Sat and Sunday..

I am Hunter fanboy..but this is total BS...
That trail is going to look like the beach at Normandy...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Riding bikes is way sweeter than that experience
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
raisingarizona wrote
Riding bikes is way sweeter than that experience
+1
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
Definitely looks good for MTB this weekend.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

karlschmitt
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
HUNTER OPENING FRIDAY !!!! 12/11/15 !!!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
4 trails, possibly 6 ain't a WROD.  Don't let the best be the enemy of the good.  You're not getting powder every day, so make the most of the days you don't have it rather than writing them off.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Well, isn't that just it ? You don't drive far to ski because you don't have to. I'm the same way. I wouldn't even do what Harv does to ski. Too far for me.

To each their own.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Snowballs wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Well, isn't that just it ? You don't drive far to ski because you don't have to. I'm the same way. I wouldn't even do what Harv does to ski. Too far for me.

To each their own.
Ya know, I've never driven to ski. Guess I'm spoiled. Grew up having Greek Peak in my backyard, in college we had our own ski slopes on campus, moved to VT and would ski to work at Smuggs, then moved back to CNY skiing Greek again. Never really thought of that until just now.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
snoloco wrote
4 trails, possibly 6 ain't a WROD.  Don't let the best be the enemy of the good.  You're not getting powder every day, so make the most of the days you don't have it rather than writing them off.
ONE trail will be open..Main line..That's it...You can call it what you want ..It's one trail off of one lift...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I was talking about Mount Snow in that paragraph.  Hunter will be a WROD.  You sure do jump to conclusions fast.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by JasonWx
I can't live somewhere without a local hill and a seasons pass. Even when conditions suck you can still run up to the hill, take a few laps and then hang out with your friends at the lodge and call it a good day. Driving 2+ hours to spend 50 to 75 bucks on a day pass to ski 1 to even 6 man made slopes with thousands of other kooks sounds terrible. Like no f-ing way! This is what is so great about bikes. Unless you live in a serious urban jungle there are usually trails somewhere near your house so you don't even have to drive. If you are creative riding bikes can be pretty entertaining, even scary if you want it to be.

We have 80% open right now and I haven't been up in two weeks. I'll just wait until it snows. The riding sure is good right now though.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
raisingarizona wrote
We have 80% open right now and I haven't been up in two weeks. I'll just wait until it snows. The riding sure is good right now.
You're a west coast elitist snow snob.  

If I were back East... I'd be dreaming of getting the first chair this weekend at Hunta  ... it was only a 2.5 hr drive for me when I lived in Scranhattan.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Hunter Mountain Announces Opening Day for 2015-16 Season!
Hunter Mountain will open this Friday, December 11, 2015!

Hunter, NY – Hunter Mountain is excited to announce the mountain will open this Friday, December 11, 2015. Although the 2015-2016 Season was greeted by unseasonably warm weather, our snow making team was able to make a large amount of snow during the few nights and early mornings that Mother Nature provided cold temperatures.

Hunter Mountain has been closely following long-range forecasts and is confident that cold temperatures and snowy weather will arrive after the current warm streak subsides in mid-December. With that being said, our snow making team will be able to make more snow which will allow for additional open terrain and lifts, thanks in part to our improved snow making system, which Hunter Mountain invested $1.2 million in this past summer.

Improvements to the snow making system include a new air compressor which was $500,000. The air compressor allows for a more efficient snow making process in that it cools the air before it hits the snow guns. In addition to the compressor, numerous snow guns were added to the fleet, 17 of which were placed on Hell Gate, while others replaced older guns across the mountain.

This weekend, the Kaatskill Flyer, NYS’s only 6-passenger high-speed chairlift, will service the main line which includes Hell Gate, 7th Ave, Kennedy, and Fifth Ave. This terrain is for advanced abilities only. The coveted First Chair of the season will go up at 9am Friday morning. The lift will run beginning at 8:30am Saturday and Sunday.

Lift ticket rates for Friday, December 11, 2015 are $44. Lift ticket rates for Saturday and Sunday, December 12th and 13th, are $54. Big Lift Super Saver discounts will be in effect, which save those guests 50% off Friday’s ticket and 25% off Saturday and Sunday’s tickets. Lift tickets can be purchased by going to a ticket window on site. Guests will be able to enjoy drinks at the Main Bar as well as pizza in the Main Lodge on Friday; BBQ and a beer bar on the Main Deck will be available in addition on Saturday and Sunday. After this weekend, Hunter Mountain will determine hours and services for the following week.

Hunter Mountain is excited for another memorable season of skiing, riding, snow tubing, and much more! For more information on opening day please contact Katie O’Connor at koconnor@huntermtn.com
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
RA and Nepa are killing us. Better skiing, better biking and some legal gunja.

You guys suck.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
Hunter has the balls to charge 54.00 Sat and Sunday..

I am Hunter fanboy..but this is total BS...
That trail is going to look like the beach at Normandy...
It's called price discrimination.  If they made it 25 dollars, that trail would be even more like the beach at Normandy.  Pricing it high keeps some people from going, most likely those of lower ability levels who would add to the carnage.  I'll probably go to Mount Snow anyway, but I'm glad Hunter managed to open.
12345678 ... 15