Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Plattekill Conditions

Harvey
Administrator
JasonWx wrote
it doesn't snow that much after closing
I guess anything can happen, six inches reported overnight and looks like it is still snowing on the radar...

Cam looks ok too.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by Harvey
I think Plattekill should be able to open whenever they want. That's fine.

Plattekill is claiming 40" over the last 5 days on FB.

I saw about 10" on Saturday from earlier in the week plus the said 22" yesterday/ last night. There is about 12" in Delhi right now, just 30 minutes and about the same elevation as Roxbury. I'm thinking Platty got maybe 16-18" yesterday That puts the week total at 28 inches Tops. I'm  not buying the 40" thing.

Anyone there today? How much snow is there? It must be nipple deep if there's 40".
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Ridgerun
I think your ax is sharp enough Ethan!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Ethan Snow wrote
I think Plattekill should be able to open whenever they want. That's fine.

Plattekill is claiming 40" over the last 5 days on FB.

I saw about 10" on Saturday from earlier in the week plus the said 22" yesterday/ last night. There is about 12" in Delhi right now, just 30 minutes and about the same elevation as Roxbury. I'm thinking Platty got maybe 16-18" yesterday That puts the week total at 28 inches Tops. I'm  not buying the 40" thing.

Anyone there today? How much snow is there? It must be nipple deep if there's 40".

yep
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This is basically the same issue that came up two years ago.  The marketplace (sub-market = powhounds) has an idea of what constitutes a powderdaize.  Owners feel that that idea is limiting their ability to sell lift tickets.

It was my recommendation that they abandon the brand term ("powderdaize") to help with the disconnect.  It's not even close to an ideal solution as that term has become synonymous with Plattekill.

Regarding snow totals I have no idea what fell. Sounds like you measured 10 inches and then they reported another 22? Or...

One thing is for sure, if I didn't have a mandatory 30 minute meeting at 10:30 today I would have been there. I bet the skiing is really good today.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by JasonWx
This convo surprises me, especially from someone who has frequented the place.  The implications here seems very out of character for Laz.  Does anyone think he's all of a sudden become the kind of person who would engage in snow total chicanery.....just so he can open today and likely operate at a loss?

Also, anyone in the know on things like Powder Daize is also likely familiar with the place, and someone who, to some extent, watches storms and forecasts.  As such, the know they might, possibly but not likely, ONLY be getting 6+/- inches on top of the roughly 2+/- FEET they got over the past week.

Seems like Laz is trying to open the place with some of the best conditions ever, as opposed to trying to bamboozle people with "false advertising", and we are actually arguing about whether today should "qualify" as a Powder Daize?  If so, that's just bat shit crazy!!!!

Just sayin'.....
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Ridgerun
Ridgerun wrote
Not only sharp but very strange.

For some reason I thought the kid has worked there before making snow. Seems odd.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Yeah.  

Fricken Sno.......he's rubbing off on peeps!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I know, right?? These young bucks sure are serious people. Then again I continually forget that the IntrAWebZ are serious business.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by Ridgerun
Ridgerun wrote
LOL.

Ok, one more rant from me.

I was planning on going to Hunter today if my classes were canceled. I also was considering Plattekill after finding out they were open.  I got an email at 5 AM stating that all morning classes were canceled, and they would resume at noon. I decided not to skip my one PM class, and stay back. I just arrived at class to find a note on the door stating that class was canceled. Goddamn professor didn't follow college policy by sending an email. A sketchy note on the door doesn't cut it. I could have been enjoying the said 40" today, but this one asshole ruined it for me. BTW, he is a Trump guy. Who ever heard of a Trump guy teaching at a state university?

Ok, that's the end of my negativity for a while.  Gonna go ski Woodstream now I guess.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Shit happens, bro. I was scheming to hit Magic until my kid got sick, retreated to a Hunter or Platty plan, then had to dial it all the way back to stay even more local this morning; still was able to get some turns. Can't win em all. At least we both have alternatives. On the original issue, I don't think it's fair to keep harping on the 40" thing. Anybody that looks at the report can tell the first 34" are already compacted and groomed out so they're really only claiming 6" of fresh. That doesn't strike me as so implausible. Be happy, man. It's all good.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
  Does anyone think he's all of a sudden become the kind of person who would engage in snow total chicanery.....just so he can open today and likely operate at a loss?
Best line Eva!!
Reply | Threaded
|

scottski63
This post was updated on .
Luciens
Today was the best Platt woods day this year. It snowed all day. Not nipple deep but pretty amazing
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
As good as it was Saturday I kept saying to FRK that this place is about 2 feet from really going off as that would bury all that bramble and blowdown on the areas where glades have not been cut.

My best advice to Laz would be to hire a summer crew of college kids to go thru and systematically clear all that stuff out aka Jay Peak so a true border to border policy would yield even more tree skiing.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Coach Z wrote
As good as it was Saturday I kept saying to FRK that this place is about 2 feet from really going off as that would bury all that bramble and blowdown on the areas where glades have not been cut.

My best advice to Laz would be to hire a summer crew of college kids to go thru and systematically clear all that stuff out aka Jay Peak so a true border to border policy would yield even more tree skiing.
Much of what is skiable now was cleared by NYSB crews. Our goal is boundary to boundary but I'm not sure we can keep up with one workday a year. Also the triple side really doesn't hold snow so it makes far less sense to clear it.

Sean Riley used to spend his summers clearing lines a la Charlie Goodspeed, but he burned out on it as he was getting no help.

While we all LOVE tree skiing, we aren't paying Laz's bills. Powderhounds are a very small part of the equation.  Summer money goes to lift maintenance and snowmaking.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
This convo surprises me, especially from someone who has frequented the place.  
Who, me?

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Ethan Snow wrote
JTG4eva! wrote
This convo surprises me, especially from someone who has frequented the place.
Who, me?
I think that is the problem right? You're (gasp!) burnt out on Plattekill?

Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Ridgerun wrote
Not only sharp but very strange.

For some reason I thought the kid has worked there before making snow. Seems odd.
I wouldn't say it's strange. I arguably know more about Plattekill than most other others on this forum. It's not all sugar and spice and everything nice. Still, I support the place, and Laz, and I hope to see it do well.  I just get pissed because Plattekill always reports ridiculously high measurements of snow. Near double the neighboring mountains, and I think that's very uncool.

I worked during the Spring/Summer maintaining MTB trails, taping racecourses, and giving guided MTB tours. Never made snow. I would do it again or be a snowmaker if I can get a high enough wage to justify the 55 minute drive over there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I think that is the problem right? You're (gasp!) burnt out on Plattekill?
Burnt out is probably too strong of a statement. You ski there a few times a year. I got 30 days in last year at Plattekill alone. I like to get out to other bigger mountains. It's kind of like  if you are eating at 5 guys or Shake Shack every single day. Yes, 5 guys probably has the best burgers around, but you can't just eat burgers and fries your whole life without trying other things.

But that's not really the issue. The source of my negativity is the fact that they nearly doubled snowfall totals. I've said that before. I believe in at least some level of absolute truths. I'm not into perceptions.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Yeah, the negativity from you is what surprised me Ethan.  I get the burgers and fries thing.  However, just 'cause you want a break from burgers don't mean you poison cattle, or something like that.  I don't view Plattekill the way I view most hills, and I arguably don't ski Plattekill enough.  I liken it to my Christmas Tree guy.  Not as big a lot as the commercial guys, but each tree on his lot is a labour of love.  He practically knows each tree, shears them by hand.  He could do less (and not have as nice of trees), or charge more (to make the extra buck)....but he doesn't have it in him.  I don't know Laz.  Met him once when he sold me a lift ticket and answered a question.  However, he strikes me as that kind of guy.  You think he made a profit today by spinning lifts today?  Probably not, but he did for his customers, for his love of the place.  So for someone who is a little more familiar with the place to question his snow reporting totals as a ruse for ticket sales?  Seems off.

Or the guy's got me completely fucking bamboozled!
1 ... 78910111213 ... 17